Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NFL institutes 15-yard penalty, possible ejection for lowering head to make hit

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default NFL institutes 15-yard penalty, possible ejection for lowering head to make hit

ORLANDO, Fla. -- NFL owners passed an unexpected rule Tuesday that will expand penalties for helmet-to-helmet contact, one that is more significant and far-reaching than the NCAA's targeting rule.

Under the change, a player will be penalized 15 yards and potentially ejected any time he lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent. It will apply to tacklers, ball carriers and even linemen, and it will take the place of a previous rule that limited the penalty to contact with the crown of the helmet.

The NCAA's targeting rule penalizes players only when they hit opponents who are in a defenseless position. It calls for mandatory ejections, but the NFL's competition committee has not yet addressed how ejections would be adjudicated, according to chairman Rich McKay. There is little doubt, however, that the NFL is determined to aggressively address a 2017 season that included 291 concussions, its highest total on record, and a severe spine injury to Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier on a play that would fall under the new rule.
    rest - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...contact-helmet

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following User High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

So, what if a receiver lowers his head into a tackler and that results in helmet 2 helmet contact?

I guess we'll see how the rule is enforced. I like the thought and intent behind it, I'm just worried about application
    Last edited by Davii; 03-27-2018 at 09:58 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Defense will be further ******.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Defense will be further ******.
    Maybe for a little bit, but the more emphasis they place on heads up tackling the less it'll screw them

7. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This rule is a cluster**** in college.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following 5 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

this is gonna to be a horrible decision. Good intent but NFL Refs suck, they are sheep and this will become way to subjective....
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

11. The Following 3 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    this is gonna to be a horrible decision. Good intent but NFL Refs suck, they are sheep and this will become way to subjective....
    That's my concern as well. This rule will be entirely too subjectively enforced.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Pat and Jim Miller on the afternoon Sirius show had a fit when this news hit. They were told that the rule had been accepted without the language being nailed down.

They gave an example of a pulling guard lowering his head when he blocks. That player could be ejected.

We will see this rule in the preseason a lot as a point of emphasis.

15. The Following User High Fived olathebroncofan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

This is going to be a disaster.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Following this rule seems impossible. The biggest breakers of this rule will be RBs but I guarantee you they will almost never get called for it, yet LBs and DBs will be getting called continuously.

I'll probably watch less football next year than I did this year and I didn't watch very much this year.

Penalty yards are becoming the most important stat in the game.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

19. The Following 9 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Following this rule seems impossible. The biggest breakers of this rule will be RBs but I guarantee you they will almost never get called for it, yet LBs and DBs will be getting called continuously.

I'll probably watch less football next year than I did this year and I didn't watch very much this year.

Yeah. I'll give it a chance, but if the NFL is continually a flag fest, I'll lose interest quick.

21. The Following User High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Shelby Harris

If the Uber wise owners and executives could just be in the players shoes for a game, they would know this rule is practically impossible to not violate.

23. The Following User High Fived atwater27 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

That was my first thought as well, you never see a running back come out of the backfield head held high, smiling and holding the ball in front of his body for everyone to knock away! I hate when they implement rules in the name of safety without applying some standard to it. Just say this only applies to defense to encourage form tackling instead of spearing and also to make the games higher scoring to help sagging ratings.

25. The Following User High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    So, what if a receiver lowers his head into a tackler and that results in helmet 2 helmet contact?

I guess we'll see how the rule is enforced. I like the thought and intent behind it, I'm just worried about application
    That's been my gripe about the rule all along. They somehow expect the defender to know where the opponent's head is going to be 2-3 seconds into the future and I find that ridiculous. Are there headhunters in the NFL? Sure. And if they are Steelers, Patriots or Raiders, they will get away with it. Is there incidental helmet-to-helmet contact? Sure and those are the guys this rule will throw the book at.

"So teach the defenders not to aim for that region," is the retort but you significantly alter their ability to break up a pass or stop a ball carrier if you expect him to hold his head up the entire time, possibly resulting in more neck/head injuries for the defender.

Simple physics. Two men running full speed at a ball that will intersect their paths. One is expected to go all out to catch the ball. The other is expected to tackle the guy catching the pass but don't hit him in the neck or shoulders even as he dives at you reaching for the ball.

I thought a 15-yard personal foul was bad enough.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

This rule is inevitable, at least it felt that way over the past few years. I hope they don't botch it; I am not optimistic in regards to them enforcing the rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

28. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information