Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The albums that helped shape ye old Northman

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default The albums that helped shape ye old Northman

On fb i have started to do a day by day recollection of records over the years that have helped shape my musical taste, records that i feel that are instant classics and still get a lot of airplay from me. So far i am 3 days in and will finish by the end of April. So i will catch you all up on the last 3 days of my list. Enjoy.

Day 1- One of two first cassettes i ever purchased this one stood out right away for me. The Police have always had good tunes throughout their career but Synchronicity was in a world of its own from start to finish. The album features many different types of vibes throughout it with some very powerful song writing. Its no wonder why the record scored countless hits upon its release and still gets regular airplay from me.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 2- Ratt- Out of the Cellar

Trying my best to keep these in a particular timeline there was no hard/hair rock band that stood out to me more than Ratt (maybe Poison but for a shorter time). But my love for this band started very early and began my passion for this specific genre during my teen years. It wouldnt be until my late teens that i started to get into heavy metal and beyond.

While the next 3 Ratt records could easily be perfect records for me as well it was O
    OTC that i literally played non-stop for an entire year. Everything from Wanted Man, Round and Round, In Your Direction, Back for More, to Scene of the Crime stand out on this record. While i never cared or understood the whole mascara thing the music imprinted on me heavily.

My appreciation for Pearcy's vocals and the slash guitar work from Robbin Crosby and Warren Di Martini seduced me for good into the world of rock n roll. Sure, i had grown up loving classic rock like Zeppelin, BOC, or Steve Miller but Ratt and similar bands in the same vein opened up a whole new world when it came to image and musicianship.

While i never stuck with playing guitar i did at one point back then play "Round and Round" at a recital on acoustic guitar and was very proud of that moment. Thats how much of an impact this record had on me at the time.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 3- Motley Crue- Shout at the Devil

Obviously early on in my list it will be littered with a lot of 80's hard/hair rock bands. As stated previously a lot of these bands shaped and lead me to where i am at today in terms of musical tastes.

No different here with Motley Crue being the first band that i latched onto that used dark and satanic imagery while not actually being satanists. While i had yet to dare the waters with artists like Ozzy Osbourne who had his own controversies surrounding him it didnt take long for me to fall in love with this record.

From the dark and moody opener "In the Beginning" to the final track "Danger" this band blitzed my eardrums with killer riffs and the piercing vocals from the energetic frontman Vince Neil. With great songs like "Looks that Kill", "Too Young to Fall in Love", "Red Hot", "Knock em Dead Kid", to the "Shout at the Devil" title track its a non-stop rockaganza.

Even the cover of the Beatles "Helter Skelter" can be recognized as a true standout among cover songs. Even though the band ended up distancing itself from this image to a more glam oriented one on the follow up House of Pain and the song writing (as albums as a whole) became a little stale compared to this record. Between this record and the previous one Too Fast for Love it wasnt untll Dr. Feelgood that the band recaptured this kind of magic for me.

Thrash metal in the late 80's may have had their Big 4 but when it comes to hair rock Motley Crue belongs in their own big 4 along the likes of Ratt, Van Halen, and Def Leppard. To this day this record still gets constant spin from me.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Might as well make this about what shaped everyone...

Beatles - Let It Be
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Bush - Sixteen Stone
    Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

And more recently, Eric Church - Mr. Misunderstood
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post

Joe Henry - Short Man's Room
    E. Vicious - Short Cuts
    Da Yoopers - One Can Short of a 6 Pack
    Nobodys - Short Songs for Short Attention Spans
    Filter - Short Bus

And more recently, E. Vicious - Short Music for Short People
    Fify
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Oh dear chazoe - you shouldn't piss off a midget...

I could list a bunch of 45's that shaped me. That was all I could afford as a youngster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Fify
    Any list of short music that doesn’t include “I Wish I Was A Little Bit Taller” by Skee-Lo is an absolute failure of a list.

Good job Eastern Utahian.
    Last edited by MOtorboat; 03-27-2018 at 02:36 PM.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

12. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 4- Van Halen- 1984

While i had probably heard Van Halen long before this record it wasnt until the single "Jump" and its constant airplay on MTV that i was able to put the face or faces to the music. Like a handful of rock bands at the time it was easy to appreciate not only this band but this record as a whole.

Obviously the standouts of this band focus a lot on guitarist Eddie Van Halen and the charismatic vocalist David Lee Roth with his powerful stage presence as a performer. Even though this would be the last record to feature the original lineup before Hagar joined the fold as the new vocalist it would prove to be one of their very best.

Featuring anthems like "Panama", "Hot for Teacher", "Ill Wait", "Drop Dead Legs", "House of Pain", and of course "Jump" this record instantly made me appreciate just how good EVH really was as a guitarist. And after diving into their back catalog i was so surprised by how many songs i had recognized on the radio as a younger child.

To this day it was kind of funny that despite the fact that the lyrical content and antics of the band are small in comparison when it comes to controversy with rock/metal music. Yet it still offended my father enough to not want me to have the record because of the cover art alone. In the end though my passion for music just could not pull me away from this record or the genre itself.

14. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Iron Maiden Somewhere in Time really got me going into heavy metal.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

This thread is solid. We are gonna leave out Mo's 1, 5 & 6, because he is a hobbit, and was clearly eating 2nd breakfast and therefore count comprehend his choices
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    I’m the hobbit.

18. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Social Distortion - self titled
    The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
    Johnny Cash - American Recordings IV
    Flogging Molly - Swagger
    Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
    Let's Rid3!!!!

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Brandon McMustache

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Oasis - Definitely Maybe
    The Reverend Horton Heat - Smoke 'Em If You Got 'Em
    Talking Heads - Speaking in Tongues

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived MasterShake For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Beatles - Let It Be
    Led Zeppelin - IV
    Bush - Sixteen Stone
    Smashing Pumpkins - Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
    Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College

And more recently, Eric Church - Mr. Misunderstood
    lame
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 5- Def Leppard- Pyromania

Continuing our trek down memory lane we come upon the british group Def Leppard. The 80's were simply riddled with great rock n roll bands and this album was no exception. Even though Def Leppard would later create their "Unicorn" with "Hysteria" 3 years later it was this record that made its initial impact on me as a youngster.

Featuring great hits like "Foolin", "Rock of Ages", "Too Late for Love", and "Photograph" this record solidified my roots into hard rock for good. Despite the tragedy that would befall drummer Rick Allen losing his left arm in an auto accident the band has continued to pump out music to this very day. Hysteria may have been their most famous album created it was this record that started it all for me.

25. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Nickleback Album 1
    Nickleback Album 2
    Nickleback Album 3
    Nickleback Album 4
    Nickleback Album 5
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information