Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: The albums that helped shape ye old Northman

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    My musical taste is....unique? I think unique in this case is just code for weird and not popular

If I had to pick mine
    Our Newest Album Ever - Five Iron Frenzy
    Light of Things Hoped for - Brave Saint Saturn
    The Anatomy of the Tongue in Cheek - Relient K
    Legend of Chin - Switchfoot
    Skillet - Skillet
    Slowly Going the Way of the Buffalo - MxPx
    Silence - Blindside
    Supertones Strike Back - OC Supertones
    Again for the First Time - Bleach

That's basically the soundtrack of my youth right there. Outside of maybe Five Iron and MxPx it'd amaze me if anyone has ever heard of half those bands lol.
    That's cool. Kind of Christian-rock heavy but I dig. North, you need to post a super satanic black death metal album if you want your thread back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

2. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    That's cool. Kind of Christian-rock heavy but I dig. North, you need to post a super satanic black death metal album if you want your thread back.
    Eventually we will get to the good stuff but its going to be a little while yet. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 23- Nine Inch Nails- Pretty Hate Machine

Definitely one of my favorite albums of all time and the first record i had that was primarily written by a solo artist in Trent Reznor. Featuring a mixture of industrial/pop rock the album features quite a few great tracks with "Head Like a Hole", "Something I Can Never Have", "Terrible Lie", "Kinda i Want To", "Ringfinger", and "Thats What i Get".

For some people the follow up The Downward Spiral was the better album for them but for me this debut blew me away the most. Over the years NIN hasnt really wow'd me like it did early on but i still give this record a lot of spin even today as it hasnt aged for me at all. Once the alternative/grunge era took off a few bands such as NIN made a early impact on me and this record is a lot of fun to listen to.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 24- Pearl Jam- Ten

As stated before the early 90's for me was filled with a wave of bands that helped spark a movement with the alternative rock/grunge scene and Pearl Jam was yet another one of those bands. Like Nirvana and AIC PJ hailed from the Seattle, WA area like so many other bands of that era.

The first single "Alive" kick started the band but they only continued to gain more popularity with each newly released single from this record. Songs like "Jeremy", "Black", "Oceans" , "Evenflow", and "Porch" all had constant and regular airplay on the radio and MTV. While the band had a hit here or there after i never quite got into them beyond this record which i felt was a true masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Well, country does suck (IMO) and even though that mental midget hijacked my thread from the word go ill let him slide this one time. Country music does absolutely nothing for me but i realize other people enjoy it so if its something that helped shape their musical taste than thats fine.
    But if people like country, can they actually be considered to have "taste" in music? lol, I don't know, I'm just asking.

7. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Well, I'm a product of my upbriging. I do have foo fighters in my current playlist, that's a step in the right direction right?

9. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I've been enjoying this in the car lately. Yes - I still use my CD player.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I've been enjoying this in the car lately. Yes - I still use my CD player.

At least it isn't 8 track. Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 25- Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

Have to play a little catch up today as i didnt have a chance to post yesterday. Continuing with the albums that helped shaped my musical tastes we are still riding the alternative/grunge rock wave that hit the early 90's. I stated a few days back that when i was getting into bands like Napalm Death i happened to also witness a video by a band called Smashing Pumpkins in 90' or 91'.

The song was "SIva" off the album Gish and although i dug the song i was too involved with ND and death metal at the time to really revisit this band back then. But when Siamese Dream came out i recognized the band (they were basically unknown previously worldwide) as the one i had saw on tv way back when. So when "Cherub Rock" was released as a single my interest in the band was renewed.

So i picked up this record and instantly fell in love with it even going back and purchasing Gish and equally loving that record as well. The Pumpkins were excellent at combining alternative rock with some psychedelic structures built into the music. While both Gish and Mellon Collie rank high in my list with this band it was Siamese Dream that captured my attention the most and was the catalyst not only for the band but for me in terms of grabbing the worlds attention.

Some of the my favorite tracks on here are "Cherub Rock", "Disarm", "Today", "Spaceboy", "Silver****", and "Rocket".

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 26- Beck- Mellow Gold

Towards the mid 90's the alternative rock phase was starting to get saturated with B and C grade bands something that plagues every genre of music at some time or another. So finding musical gems along the way became more and more scarce in the scene. One such gem though was 1994's Mellow Gold by Beck.

Initially when i heard the single for "Loser" i thought that it would be one of the those albums that would have just one good song and the rest not so much. The 90's musically consisted of me buying just about anything and everything to see what bands would stick with me and which ones wouldnt. So when i bought Mellow Gold and listened to the record i was floored by how great it was.

Beck brought a little bit of comedy into his music with a bit of a slacker mentality. Some of the highlights for me would be "Loser", "Soul Suckin Jerk", "Pay No Mind", "Steal My Body Home", "Blackhole", and "Fukin WIth My Head". The follow up album to this would give Beck a stronger and more mature direction with his music while still keeping the comedic aspect a part of it. But Mellow Gold for me was the standard to which every Beck album would be compared to.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 27- Fear Factory- Demanufacture

I actually first discovered FF in 1992 after the release of Soul of a New Machine. I was floored by the versatile vocal work by singer Burton C. Bell and the band mixed a bit of Napalm Death type riffs with an industrial backdrop. But it wasnt until Demanufacture that the band began to show its promise in song writing.

In a short 3 years following SOANM the band had grown so much and progressed beyond the previous work. They also caught a bit of a lightning in a bottle when one of the songs from this album "Zero Signal" appeared on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack. I remembered sitting in the theater during the movie and hearing it for the first glancing over at my buddy and smiling as we both recognized the track instantly.

Demanufacture was a more mature step for FF to which would be the foundation that they would later capitalize on going forward as a band. Gone were the deep guttural vocals and the more grindcore-ish musical arrangements which were replaced with more straight forward rough vocal work and more straight forward death/heavy metal styled music.

Even Burton's clean vocal work had more purpose and sharper placement within the music as well. Some of the best songs on this record include "Replica", "Pisschrist", "A Therapy for Pain", "New Breed", "Flashpoint", and a interesting over of Head of David's "Dog Day Sunrise". I must of played this album for months on end after its release. While over the years FF still tend to put out quality songs they become more sporadic in quantity.

While i often find myself loving the debut because of its more DM root approach there is no doubt that Demanufacture was the turning point and the best and strongest album from top to bottom that the band ever released.

17. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 28- Type O Negative- October Rust

I first discovered TON after watching a Beevis and Butthead episode in and around 1992-1993 and seeing the video for "Black No 1". I was mesmerized by singer Peter Steele's vocal delivery and the bands overall vampiric appeal that was truly hypnotic. So when Bloody Kisses finally got released i didnt think there would be a way for the band to really top themselves but they certainly proved me wrong.

October Rust has the same overall feel as its predecessor but with a little more flair and color added to the arsenal. My favorite track and the first single "Love You to Death" was joined by a multitude of fantastic songs such as "Red Water", "Die With Me", "Wolf Moon", "My Girlfriends Girlfriend", "Haunted", "Burnt Flowers Fallen", and "Be My Druidess". While TON would go on to make some pretty strong albums afterwards this would still remain my ultimate favorite of the bunch.

I love quite a few bands but only a few can truly rank as one of my alltime favorites and Type O Negative is one of them. It was a major blow when singer Peter Steele passed away in 2010 and it had a ripple effect in the metal scene as a whole. To this day TON while being influenced by bands like Black Sabbath was able to influence a whole other generation of bands as well.

I find very few people that i come across that dont like this band no matter their musical background. TON was the type of band that could ride the line between mainstream goth rock to a doomish heavy metal outfit. Musically they were able to cast a wide web to ensnare fans all across the world. The impact of this record and band was enormous for me and still is to this day.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 29- P.M. Dawn- Of the Heart, Of the Soul, and of the Cross

When it comes to hip hop, rap, or pop music there are very bands or songs that i really listen to on the norm. Especially these days it becomes rarer and rarer for me to sit down and listen to this genre at great length. But like Purple Rain and other Prince tracks there is one group that i listen to more than others and that would be P.M. Dawn.

Often times im quite surprised how little people know of this group or how they are not talked about enough within the scenes own fanbase. Ive actually mentioned the band to hip hop fans who really had no clue who they even were which was surprising. Consisting of the brothers Prince Be and DJ Minutemix the duo kicked off the 90's in a big way.

Having hits like "Reality Used to be a Friend of Mine", "Paper Doll", "Set Adrift a Memory Bliss of You", and "On a Clear Day" the group had a wonderful way of mixing narration with rapping with eccentric song writing. The album is littered with some amazing tracks which are easy to chill to when in the mood. Even the 3 albums that followed are strong in their own right which to me shows the amazing talent this two possessed as song writers.

While Alternative rock and Metal reigned supreme for most of my musical tastes this group managed to claw and prod itself into my playlists quite a bit in the 90's.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Day 25- Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream

Have to play a little catch up today as i didnt have a chance to post yesterday. Continuing with the albums that helped shaped my musical tastes we are still riding the alternative/grunge rock wave that hit the early 90's. I stated a few days back that when i was getting into bands like Napalm Death i happened to also witness a video by a band called Smashing Pumpkins in 90' or 91'.

The song was "SIva" off the album Gish and although i dug the song i was too involved with ND and death metal at the time to really revisit this band back then. But when Siamese Dream came out i recognized the band (they were basically unknown previously worldwide) as the one i had saw on tv way back when. So when "Cherub Rock" was released as a single my interest in the band was renewed.

So i picked up this record and instantly fell in love with it even going back and purchasing Gish and equally loving that record as well. The Pumpkins were excellent at combining alternative rock with some psychedelic structures built into the music. While both Gish and Mellon Collie rank high in my list with this band it was Siamese Dream that captured my attention the most and was the catalyst not only for the band but for me in terms of grabbing the worlds attention.

Some of the my favorite tracks on here are "Cherub Rock", "Disarm", "Today", "Spaceboy", "Silver****", and "Rocket".

Smashing Pumpkins? Pearl Jam? North. I am so disappointed in you bro.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Lol

22. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information