Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: The albums that helped shape ye old Northman

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 30- Korn- S/T

Got to play catch up a little bit again so will be doing a two'fer today. While Life is Peachy, the sophomore album from Korn was the first record that i had heard and learned of the band from it was the self titled album that made the larger impact on me. After seeing the video for "No Place to Hide" i was a bit mesmerized by the uniqueness that Korn had as an act.

I know that many in the metal community frown upon the nu-metal scene and its connection to metal in general but i always found that view a bit short sighted. Not that nu-metal was this mind blowing sub-genre but because it crossed over and brought yet another connection to yet another genre with rap/hip hop.

Sure, rock acts like Faith No More and bands like Anthrax dabbled with the mixing of metal and rap long before it was Korn that took that dabbling and made it a staple to their music altogether. And while Korn could write more poppy and catchy songs there was also this underlying anger and dark ferocity within the music that was often conveyed through the vocal work of Jonathan Davis.

While Korn doesnt spend time on the occult or political themes lyrically they do dive deep into the subconscious of teenage angst or issues closer to home. And in today's climate of mental illness and depression its kind of easy to understand where they were coming from as a band even back in the 90's when they first gained a reputation.

Songs like "Blind", "Fake", "Shoots n Ladders", "Need to", "Clown", "Faget", and "Daddy" all showcase different emotions and trials that individuals can face on a daily basis and it isnt very pretty. As i said before Korn knd of became the butt end of the joke in metal after they gained success in the mainstream. But little do most people know prior to their explosion of popularity they shared the stage with some heavy hitters like Broken Hope, Morbid Angel, and Incantation at the Milwaukee Metalfest in 1994.

And judging by the reaction of the crowd there was no shortage of moshing and headbanging when they opened with "Blind". While other bands like the Deftones and Limp Bizkit followed in their shoes (Deftones have long abandoned the sound for a more post rock/metal sound of today) Korn will always be remembered as the band that started the nu-metal genre whether people like it or not. And while their sound has also evolved over time the first 2 records are chalk full of great music especially this debut.

2. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 31- Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger

I was debating putting Superunknown as the Soundgarden album of choice but after much thought i had to come back to Badmotorfinger. As it was truly the first record from Soundgarden that i fell in love with even though Superunknown is quite exceptional in its own right. But thinking back to when i first heard "Outshined" i instantly fell in love with Chris Cornell's vocals.

Even today out of the whole alternative rock/grunge era of vocalist Chris stands out of the crowd with his impressive sonic delivery. Musically they are also on point in finding a mixture of sounds that works flawlessly with what they are trying to achieve. The album is packed with great tunes, with inspiration and influences from all different backdrops in the form of "Rusty Cage", "Jesus Christ Pose", "Searching With My Good Eye Closed", and "Mind Riot".

While in metal you had your big four i think it would be safe to say that Soundgarden would also be considered in their own big four along the likes of Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana. Soundgarden's impact was massive for me so the recent loss of Cornell was immense for me as a fan. Its hard at times to watch as musicians who helped guide you through tough years all of a sudden fall to their own personal demons.

While Chris may be gone his legacy both in Soundgarden and his other projects after will remain intact. The work that they achieved will forever be a catalyst for healing with fans both old and new even if some are no longer here to share it with us.

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 32- Insane Clown Posse- The Great Milenko

It was by accident that i happened upon this group in the late 90's while watching a news bit on MTV one day. The report had to do with Disney signing the band without fully understanding what their schtick was as a group. A combination of shocking imagery, horror themed rap the group became sensationalized after Disney discovered their mistake and dropped the group.

Normally i wouldnt have cared but i found their look intriguing and wanted to see what all the fuss was about so i bought The Great Milenko to give it a gander. What i discovered was ICP had the ability to shock you and make you laugh all at the same time. They pulled no punches as no topic was sacred and while their brand of humor can be very polarizing (especially in today's social climate) it was very well done in presentation and execution.

While i no longer keep up with the duo of Violent J and Shaggy 2 Dope for a short while in the late 90's i would constantly spin this record. Tracks like "Piggy Pie", "The Neden Game", "House of Horrors", "How Many Times", and "Boogie Woogie Wu" were some of the funniest mix of rap and comedy i have ever heard. While i never took the group all that serious ICP does have a pretty large cult following labeled as "Juggalo's".

I followed the group as far as The Amazing Jeckel Brothers and Bizaar before losing interest in them. While i have heard a track here or there in recent years i think their best days are behind them.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 33- Dimmu Borgir- Enthroned, Darkness, Triumphant

I was a late bloomer when it came to black metal so it wasnt until the late 90's that i took a chance one day while looking for some cd's to purchase. For whatever reason i had read an article on DB in some metal mag and ended up seeing both EDT on the shelf as well as Emperor's Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk. At first i couldnt decide which album to buy so i picked them both up.

While i certainly dug the Emperor cd i was drawn more to the Dimmu Borgir one. From a technical standpoint it wasnt nearly as impressive as Emperor but it was easier to get into and easier on these ears. Incorporating atmospheric and symphonic keyboards as their backdrop the album has a lot of tasty bits on it in the form of "Entrance", "Spellbound (by the devil)", "Master of Disharmony", "Mourning Palace", and "A Succubus in Rapture".

And thus this record kicked off my desire to hear more symphonic black metal bands before i began to progress beyond that particular style of bm in the early 2000's. While i still have some love for this particular genre it isnt near as strong as it was back then and even though DB has some good songs in their later catalogs i still find myself ended back up to this record.

Sadly this band has started to become a caricature of itself but i can still appreciate the older material and what this album meant both to me and the sbm scene in general.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Day 34- Strapping Young Lad- City

Towards the late 90's i happened across a video for the song "Detox" and instantly fell in love with not only the musical style mish mashing thrash with industrial but the complex of emotions belted out by frontman Devin Townsend. The fact that the band also featured long time legend Gene Hoglan on drums only added to the aura that the band possessed.

In a time when i was kind of at a crossroads with my life and facing my own personal demons i was able to channel that through DT's own emotional turmoil on this record. In some of my darkest hours this record improved my well being and gave me new life. DT had already done one SYL album and had previously worked with guitar legend Steve Vai on the album Sex and Religion.

Even before i discovered DT's solo efforts it was already easy for me to see why DT would end up becoming my all time favorite musician and artist. He had a flair for both comedy and aggression. Featuring songs like "All Hail the New Flesh", "Detox", "Room 429 (Cop Shoot Cop Cover)", and "Spirituality" this album became such a huge impact on me when it came to my love for heavy metal music.

It changed my whole world in a massively short time and while i think the album Alien was SYL's masterpiece it will always be this record that ignited the torch for my love of all things Devin Townsend. It opened a door that eventually other DT releases would broaden the musical horizon of my music catalog. In a review by Dr. Wrvm he sums it up best by saying this "In my mind, City exists outside of music at large, freed from extraneous list-making and ratings debates. This album serves a purpose".

(Read full review here: http://www.angrymetalguy.com/yer-metal-olde-strapping-young-lad-city/)

You can probably talk to just about anyone about any band or artist and they will always have that ONE artist that changed their life. In my case Devin Townsend was that artist. And even today he continues to lay the groundwork for some of the best music out there in my opinion taking a bit of everything that i love in music and expanding on it.

Adopted Bronco:

I expected this one to be a lot higher for you.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I expected this one to be a lot higher for you.
    These aren't really ranked by highest to lowest. Just more of a timeline of when I heard and discovered them.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information