Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What the Giants Trade of JPP Means For the Broncos!

Default What the Giants Trade of JPP Means For the Broncos!

As ESPN Reported, the Giants GM has traded Jason Pierre Paul to the Tampa Bay Bucs for Tampa's 3rd rounder, plus their fourth round pick, in exchange for JPP and the Giants fourth round pick.

JPP has never been the same after blowing up his hand in an ill-advised fireworks accident and the Giants are moving on from him at age 29.

But, what on earth does this have to do with the Broncos I hear you ask? Obviously, the Giants now need a monster pass-rushing DE. And they, not at all coincidentally, I mean not even a bit, happen to have the #2 pick of the draft. And sitting there like a ripe orange is Bradley Chubb, DE of NC State, whom the Giants just not-at-all-coincidentally have just visited.

And the Giants like QB Sam Darnold of USC but the Browns are now set to take him at #1 and not trade that pick. So, the Giants do not get the QB they coveted as the next Eli Manning, and so they go to Plan B, and take the #2 guy on their board - Bradley Chubb.

Giants held private visit with Bradley Chubb, will meet again
    The New York Giants are courting defensive end prospect Bradley Chubb.

Bradley Chubb is now squarely on the New York Giants radar with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft following the team's decision to trade defensive end Jason Pierre-Paul on Thursday.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Giants have already met privately with the North Carolina State edge rusher and plan to bring him into the facility for another visit with the new regime before the 2018 NFL Draft. Chubb is widely viewed as the best pass rusher in the entire draft class and someone who can immediately replace Pierre-Paul as a potentially better fit in new defensive coordinator James Bettcher's hybrid defensive scheme. Earlier this week, the Giants also sent defensive line coach Gary Emanuel to North Carolina State’s Pro Day to get an up-close look at Chubb.
    So the Giants will take Chubb, or else they would never have dealt Jason Pierre Paul, who got 8 sacks last year. They're looking for a better, cheaper upgrade.

This of course means that Rosen, Allen and Mayfield are probably available for the Broncos if they want to trade up, assuming that the Browns take Darnold as expected.

The Jets who cleverly moved up to #3 to ****-block the Broncos and Bills path to Josh Allen (or potentially Baker Mayfield) are now out-maneuvered, because the Giants are now set to trade down out of the #2 pick to the Broncos if they want that #2 pick.

It also increases the chance of the Broncos trading up to #2, because the Browns are widely expected to take a QB #1 and not trade that pick, and the Giants are now committed to drafting Bradley Chubb, which they can conveniently do at #5 while picking up extra draft picks from the Broncos, since the Colts, who were smugly congratulating themselves that they had outmaneuvered everybody and were now set to not only get Chubb, but also three 2nd round picks, in a classic win-win, now are eating large Moose-turds.

The Giants will be able to either take Chubb themselves at #2 if John Elway doesn't want to make a trade, or else trade down to #5 and still take Chubb ahead of the Colts at #6. "Clever girl."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clever_Girl.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	11914

And the Colts aren't going to jump back up to #4 to get Chubb ahead of the Giants because that would waste all the draft capital they acquired by moving down. They would look like complete morons if they did that!

Elway undoubtedly saw all this instantly as soon as he heard the news. Even before he reaches out to the Giants to see what it would take to move up (even if he has no intention of doing it, he'd sensibly want to know whether the Giants would now want to move down to #5 and take Chubb), he is now in a position where he has a choice to make.

He can either stick with what appears to be the plan to stand pat with Case Keenum for this season and either take a player at #5 or else trade back, or else trade up to #2 and get ahead of the Jets for a QB. And at #2 he'd have Rosen, Allen or Mayfield to choose from assuming the Browns took Darnold as expected (or else the Giants would not trade, but take Darnold).

I don't think he's going to do it, but I wanted to point out the possibility now openly exists because the Giants are committed. They no longer have TPP and his 8 sacks. They have to replace that production somehow.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-23-2018 at 09:43 PM.

2. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Just playing out your hypothetical - if the asking price is three 2nd rounders as established by the NYJ, Elway would likely need to either: a.) get a 1st rounder involved, or b.) give them most of our picks this year (certainly he'd have to give them our 2nd plus both 3rd rounders and a pick or two from next year).

Then, we will have invested the #2 pick in a QB whose clock is ticking after paying $25 million guaranteed in Case Keenum for the next two seasons. I just don't see how that's the plan personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    Just playing out your hypothetical - if the asking price is three 2nd rounders as established by the NYJ, Elway would likely need to either: a.) get a 1st rounder involved, or b.) give them most of our picks this year (certainly he'd have to give them our 2nd plus both 3rd rounders and a pick or two from next year).

Then, we will have invested the #2 pick in a QB whose clock is ticking after paying $25 million guaranteed in Case Keenum for the next two seasons. I just don't see how that's the plan personally.
    Oh, God no! I've been arguing that Elway won't do that and I would not want that. I am merely pointing out that the gateway is now open officially, since the Giants can't back out now. They must be convinced that Cleveland is taking Darnold or else they would have held onto JPP for another season. This is a salary dump move pure and simple. JPP is still productive at 8 sacks. He's only 29, and there's no reason to think he won't be still a good player in 2018 and for several years after that. He could even continue to improve over his 8 sacks. There are plenty of teams that would have wanted him, if he were a FA.

In giving him up they are creating a gaping wound on their DL which would be like the Broncos cutting Derek Wolfe, except that Wolfe had only 5.5 sacks and fewer tackles - JPP is still better even with that club.

But, the Giants don't need to take Chubb at #2, they just need to stay ahead of the Colts at #6. And the Broncos at #5 fit nicely. I have no doubt they would love to trade back to #5, stockpile a bunch of picks, and still get Chubb for a cheaper price. But, take him they will, either at #2 or #5.

I wouldn't trade up for Allen, but Elway just might. He's that kind of tall, big arm QB he loves. So, it could still happen, despite them paying $36m guaranteed to Keenum.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I don’t see how Case Keenum is the plan either.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I don’t see how Case Keenum is the plan either.
    Maybe you don't like him, but money talks and B.S. walks, and John Elway just stepped up to the plate with $36m guaranteed over 2 years. Cap hit of $15m in 2018 and $25m in 2019. I guar-an-diggidy-dog-tee he ain't spending no $25m in 2019 to have Case Keenum hold a clip-board. That would be the most expensive clip-board holder in NFL history.

I say, they ain't trading up nor taking a QB at #5 neither.

An' I'm a-takin' on all comers!
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-23-2018 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Maybe you don't like him, but money talks and B.S. walks, and John Elway just stepped up to the plate with $36m guaranteed over 2 years. Cap hit of $15m in 2018 and $25m in 2019. I guar-an-diggidy-dog-tee he ain't spending $25m in 2019 to have Case Keenum hold a clip-board. That would be the most expensive clip-board holder in NFL history.

I say, they ain't trading up nor taking a QB at #5 neither.
    This is a great argument as to why this deal was horrific. Thank you, Cugel.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If Case Keenum is enough to satisfy this regime they might wanna put their homes on the market now while it’s a sellers market.

You guys talk like he’s like the Tony Romo ‘17 situation.

Hell, I would’ve drafted a QB at 5 WITH Tony Romo on the roster, you strike while the iron is hot.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    This is a great argument as to why this deal was horrific. Thank you, Cugel.
    Well, I guess we'll see won't we? Elway is clearly betting that he's getting a QB they can win now with, and he's going to strengthen the team around Keenum, using the 10 draft picks he's amassed in this year's draft as capital.

He could get any of Barkley, Nelson or anybody else he wants other than a QB at #5, or else trade back to a team that wants Mayfield, and amass more draft capital. He would get 2 first round picks for instance if he traded down to #12 with the Bills. Probably he would get MORE than 2 first round picks. He could get all kinds of talent there too.

Not Nelson or Barkley or Fitzpatrick, but a S, LB or T would be available, and he would be in position to take a QB later in the first round too. "Double the pleasure, double the fun with double-pick, double-pick, double-pick in the first round." And probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder too.

When you have a ginomus talent deficit that will take 8 or 9 players to fill, you need all the first round picks you can get! With this trade, they might get as many as 4 new starters this year from the first and second round, with 2 picks in each round (including their own 2nd rounder).

If Case Keenum is enough to satisfy this regime they might wanna put their homes on the market now while it’s a sellers market.

You guys talk like he’s like the Tony Romo ‘17 situation.

Hell, I would’ve drafted a QB at 5 WITH Tony Romo on the roster, you strike while the iron is hot.
    Well, all those fans who hate Case Keenum? Get used to watching him for the next two seasons come hell or high-water. Cause that ship done sailed!

Name:  main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  14.3 KB
    That deal is done, son!

12. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

When you have a ginomus talent deficit that will take 8 or 9 players to fill, you need all the first round picks you can get! With this trade, they might get as many as 4 new starters this year from the first and second round, with 2 picks in each round (including their own 2nd rounder).
    That ginormous talent deficit includes a QB, you don’t fill that need last. Plain and simple.

This is the same argument Tebowfags used for not drafting a QB or (lolololol) not signing PFM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Well, all those fans who hate Case Keenum? Get used to watching him for the next two seasons come hell or high-water. Cause that ship done sailed!

Name:  main-qimg-bb586ebf4aec5d1669f80fa7949d5880-c.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  14.3 KB
    That deal is done, son!
    I high fived this so I can find it on April 26th.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

That ginormous talent deficit includes a QB, you don’t fill that need last. Plain and simple.

This is the same argument Tebowfags used for not drafting a QB or (lolololol) not signing PFM.
    Lol! Only if you think Keenum and Tebow are comparable at all! Which is utterly hilarious. Keenum threw 22 TDs and only 7 picks, 3500 yards and a passer rating of 98.3. In most categories, he finished in the top 10 in the NFL last year.

Tebow threw for 1700 yards, 12 Tds and a passer rating of 72.9!

That statement of yours is the most hilarious nonsense yet!

You can argue all day that it's some kind of fluke, but the fact the he did it proves he can do it, and if he can do it once, there is strong evidence in favor of the opinion that he can do it again. And if he can do it again he's a top 12 QB. You can win a championship with a top 12 QB.

YOU might not believe he's that good but that doesn't make your opinion fact. He could simply be improving.

You don't believe that but obviously Elway does. We'll see who's right soon enough.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-23-2018 at 10:50 PM.

16. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

I high fived this so I can find it on April 26th.
    You still think they will trade up and get a QB or else take a QB at #5? Well, maybe. IF Elway is dumb enough to waste $36million, sure.

But, it will be the laziest way any man ever made $36m guaranteed in this world. Just sitting on his ass collecting $1,125,000 per game! That is the very definition of "good work, if you can get it."

Damn! I wish somebody would pay me 1 week worth of his salary to sit there on my ass and hold a clip-board! I can do that! And I'm available at the very reasonable price of $1.1m per week! I'll even give them a discount of $25,000 per game over what Keenum will charge them!
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-23-2018 at 10:56 PM.

You still think they will trade up and get a QB or else take a QB at #5? Well, maybe. IF Elway is dumb enough to waste $36million, sure.

But, it will be the laziest way any man ever made $36m guaranteed in this world. Just sitting on his ass collecting $1,125,000 per game! That is the very definition of "good work, if you can get it."
    I'm hoping that if CK isn't good enough to do anything, we don't just trot him out there because he got paid.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information