Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos trade for OT Jared Veldheer

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Now that they have Veldheer they can never draft a RT again.

It’s science.
    i wouldn't say that, but it does look like they might be prioritizing a guard more heavily if they do go OL early-- which does kind of work to the strength of this class. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i wouldn't say that, but it does look like they might be prioritizing a guard more heavily if they do go OL early-- which does kind of work to the strength of this class. . .
    I wouldn’t say that at all, matter of fact I would say that means Nelson is not the pick ... follow me here; Watson makes $7 +M, he’s gonna start somewhere or Cugel’s gonna go nuclear about how there can’t be a backup making that much money.

So, he’s moving to G, and as we all know, adding mediocre backups to the starting lineup means you can never draft that position again.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

3. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Veldheer sounds too much like a life-sized walking holding penalty.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

5. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Lol. Really people....its a RT bandaid for a 6th. He is legit better than watson...
    Not that's saying much, but still.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Also,

Nnnneeeeelllllsssooooonnnnnn
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Are you sure? I think the prorated cap hit transfers with the player. Think back to when Plummer retired and had to pay back part of his signing bonus to Tampa, not the Broncos.

I'm pretty sure Broncos will be on the hook for the full cap number.
    I’m waiting for Jason from OTC to confirm. But isn’t this like the JPP trade? Giants are eating 15 million in dead money, Bucs get him for something like three years 39 million

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    You've gotta make tradeoffs when constructing a roster under the salary cap. Ain't nobody saying Veldheer is better than Talib. But if your offensive tackle play leads to 1000 turnovers and sabotages the rest of the team's success, then you've gotta do something drastic.
    They wanted to get rid of Talib. They wanted to play Roby. They think they can afford to get rid of Talib even though they could probably think of a way to pay him.
    If Elway Was Being Totally Honest Like Jim Kerry in Liar Liar:"Sorry, but this is a business, so bye, bye Talib, as soon as we have to start paying Roby $8m a year.

And next year we are going to have to re-do Roby's deal, or else franchise him. And thatnegotiation will be Hell on Wheels, because he's going to want $13m a year, because that's what other top CBs get, and he's turning into a top CB.

After this year if he does turn in a great year, we're going to need a LOT more cap room because we want to retain Roby long-term. We think he's a home run draft pick. We love that! When one of the guys we invested a first round pick in turns out to be a really good player, we will pay that guy. He makes us feel good about our drafting abilities, because God knows! We haven't had any freakin' success in the 2nd round! We just let Cody Latimer walk and we freakin' moved up in the second round, in a draft that has turned out be one of the greatest WR classes in NFL history! That 2014 draft had Allen Robinson and Jarvis Freakin' Landry drafted in the same round right after we traded up for Cody Latimer!

We had to watch Jarvis Landry catch 110 passes a year for the Dolphins while Latimer had 35 catches for his entire career in Denver! We screwed up! So, when one of our high round draft guys does make good, we're paying that guy, and not you Aqib. Sorry about that! Thanks for the contribution. Our security will assist you to get your stuff packed up and we would like you to drop by the facility and bring your playbook."
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-24-2018 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    I’m waiting for Jason from OTC to confirm. But isn’t this like the JPP trade? Giants are eating 15 million in dead money, Bucs get him for something like three years 39 million
    To follow up on this, looks like I was right, though I missed a minor detail.

So it's $6.5 million base salary, and according to OTC, $500,000 in "in game" roster bonuses (so I wonder if that would be less if he's hurt and can't play - not sure on that). But basically $7 million, not $10.2 million for us.

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-veldheer/1270

Now back to the "does he suck?" discussion that's been going on.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I wouldn’t say that at all, matter of fact I would say that means Nelson is not the pick ... follow me here; Watson makes $7 +M, he’s gonna start somewhere or Cugel’s gonna go nuclear about how there can’t be a backup making that much money.

So, he’s moving to G, and as we all know, adding mediocre backups to the starting lineup means you can never draft that position again.
    Jaded, I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that post!

But, it won't be me who goes nuclear, it will be John Elway when has a little chat with Mike Sullivan, the team's capologist ("Director of Football Administration"), and Mike Sullivan tells Elway "we're spending $7m on Watson, do you want to keep or move him?" And Elway has to defend spending all that money on a guy who isn't playing.

But, he will easily be able to do that by saying: "Well, Mike, Nelson is great and all, we really love him, but as you know full well we really haven't had a lot of depth at that position, so we really desperately need to keep all our options at the T position open. We're probably over-spending a bit this season, but hopefully we can get through this year and then next year the cap hit from releasing Watson won't be so steep and perhaps we can get another OT in the 2019 draft to complement Nelson, and back him up. We could add depth that way. At least that is our thinking right now. Thanks for asking though Mike. We're keeping Watson and he's going to play some but it was better to keep him even if he sits than cut him and take that cap hit in the ass.

And if Nelson is there at #5 we're taking him to the bank. We think he's a generational G in this league, an almost certain pro-bowl starter and probable All-Pro for 10 years in the NFL. And we felt like we just couldn't pass up an opportunity to get a player of that caliber at a position where we felt like we struggled a bit last year and in recent years.

So, we felt like we had a need at that position, and there was a generational player there and we felt we had to draft him. At #5. But, behind him there would be zero quality depth if we cut Watson. "
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-24-2018 at 08:52 AM.

Good signing.

He has played enough games that he is solid.

He can be a security blanket for McGovern or a rookie while Leary does the same for Boles.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Good signing.

He can be a security blanket for McGovern or a rookie while Leary does the same for Boles.
    Kind of my thought as well. If healthy (always a big if with these guys recently), then a pre-draft OL of Bolles, Leary, Paradis, McGovern and Veldheer doesn’t sound too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Good signing.

If they drafted Nelson, now their OL would look a hell of a lot more formidable than in 2017. Still not awesome, but at least adequate.

LT - Bolles entering his 2nd year and hopefully committing fewer holding penalties
    LG - Leary who is an elite G
    C - Paradis who is not coming off an off-season where he had 2 hip surgeries.
    RG - Nelson, a day 1 starter and potential All-Pro G ten year guy.
    RT - Jared Veldheer and if he inevitably gets hurt again, Menelik Watson, until he inevitably gets hurt again too. But, hopefully between the two of those injury prone dudes, at least one of them will be off IR all season long. You're increasing your odds any way, that at least one of them won't have his knee fold up like cheap suit.

This is probably the best they can do, unless they are in position to take a T in the second round, which might be possible at #40. They also desperately need a WR, CB, TE, S, DT, ILB.

Part of the normal complete gutting and overhaul of your roster when you go 5-11. It's a fire sale of players who sucked and hopefully getting better players over the next two seasons.

16. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Replacing Garcia with Leary next to Bolles will accelerate his learning curve by approximately 2000%. That move in itself will make this line significantly better than last season.

18. The Following User High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Speaking of tight end, has everyone forgotten Jake Butt?
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Speaking of tight end, has everyone forgotten Jake Butt?
    He's uncertain. Who knows if he will fully recover from that knee injury to be again the player he was at Michigan? Who knows how long it will take him to learn to play in the NFL after not having taken a snap in a regular season game. They tried to rush him back last year and his knee started really hurting again, so they shut him down and gave him a red-shirt year.

Nobody can rely on him being a star NFL TE, and certainly not in 2018. They need another starting caliber TE in this draft since they didn't find one in FA.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information