Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos trade for OT Jared Veldheer

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Cordy Glenn, traded to Bengals in the Bills move up to 12.

Speaking of, I’d rather trade for Cedric Ogbueghi, he sucks but at least he’s not 90-years-old and making bank.
    Oh god...no...you don't trade out of the top five for a LT when you need a QB and there's plenty of options. You're cray!
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Oh god...no...you don't trade out of the top five for a LT when you need a QB and there's plenty of options. You're cray!
    No, but the price was said to be a 2nd or 3rd before the trade deadline, i’m assuming that’s where the bidding started in March. And we all know how dynamic the Broncos 2nd-3rd round selections have been.

Matter of fact, they probably should’ve traded a 2nd round pick for Veldheer and kept the 6th.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

Guess now they can move Watson to the swing G position which I believe suits him better.

4. The Following User High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Veldheer is a 6’8”, 321lb right tackle who is entering his 9th season in the NFL. He started out his career with the Oakland Raiders but has played the past four seasons with the Arizona Cardinals.

He is coming off an up and down 2017 season where started out slow for the Cardinals but finished strong before fracturing his ankle late in the year which ended his season.

Veldheer had been the Cardinals starting right tackle for the first nine games of the season before switching to the left side to replace the injured D.J. Humphries after Week 10. Veldheer had a tough start to the season, allowing the fourth-most pressures (27) by an offensive tackle through Week 5. By contrast, he allowed just 12 total pressures in the eight games since, ranking fifth at his position with a pass blocking efficiency score of 96.8 in Weeks 6-14.

Per Pro Football Focus, Veldheer gave up the fourth most pressures during the first five weeks of the season. However, he finished weeks six through fourteen as the 5th best pass blocker during that span with a grade of 98.8
    Pro Football Focus

Veldheer is entering his final year of a five year $35 million contract that he signed back in 2014. Per Over The Cap, Veldheer’s cap hit for 2018, the final year of his contract will be $10,156,250.
    Well, there's where all Talib's money went. They saved $11m from cutting Talib and they are giving this dude $10m of it! This is their big FA acquisition. Dude sounds like a more expensive version of Menelik Watson, but I suppose we'll see.

But, holy crap! He's coming off a fractured ankle last year? And he's due $10m a year?

I suppose they might dump Watson and his salary now. He can't be happy to hear this news!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Guess now they can move Watson to the swing G position which I believe suits him better.
    Huge paycut to start with.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

7. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Well, they still might get Nelson, but it would be intriguing if they could move Watson to G. Failed RTs often make better guards. Watson is athletic, and playing in a phone booth inside at G rather than being isolated in space against Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram and Kalil Mack and such like might help him a lot.

So, potentially, the Broncos could have significantly strengthened their OL. This dude is obviously starting, since they are paying him $10m. That's the most any Broncos OL has been paid since Ryan Clady!

Huge paycut to start with.
    Do you ever bother to check anything at all before shooting off your mouth? He was guaranteed $7.1m bonus last Saturday. His money is now guaranteed. They can't rescind that commitment. He's getting his $7.1m this year and not a penny less. It's not voluntary, and they could cut him, but they'd still have to pay him.

By dump Watson, I mean they could trade him and get some other team to pay his salary. They might even get something for him too since serviceable Ts are always valuable, if they have starter experience, even if they aren't great. Big men that size are really rare so even the mediocre ones find jobs in the NFL for years if they have experience from somewhere else.

It's rather like failed QBs in that respect. All teams want an experienced backup QB. But, obviously all the really good QBs are starters, so they have to take a guy who flunked as a starter (like the Vikings did with Brock Osweiler), and make him their cheap backup. They hardly have to pay him anything, which is good since they are paying Cousins a ton.

That’s a lot of money for a guy the Cards we’re going to cut. Highest paid RT in the league apparently.

Has to pass a physical before the deal is finalized.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 03-23-2018 at 11:49 PM.

11. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Do you ever bother to check anything at all before shooting off your mouth? He was guaranteed $7.1m bonus last Saturday. His money is now guaranteed. They can't rescind that commitment. He's getting his $7.1m this year and not a penny less. It's not voluntary, and they could cut him, but they'd still have to pay him.

By dump Watson, I mean they could trade him and get some other team to pay his salary. They might even get something for him too since serviceable Ts are always valuable, if they have starter experience, even if they aren't great. Big men that size are really rare so even the mediocre ones find jobs in the NFL for years if they have experience from somewhere else.

It's rather like failed QBs in that respect. All teams want an experienced backup QB. But, obviously all the really good QBs are starters, so they have to take a guy who flunked as a starter (like the Vikings did with Brock Osweiler), and make him their cheap backup. They hardly have to pay him anything, which is good since they are paying Cousins a ton.
    Actually I did read this in one of those tweets, Watson might have to take a paycut.

So, nany nany, boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Well, they still might get Nelson, but it would be intriguing if they could move Watson to G. Failed RTs often make better guards. Watson is athletic, and playing in a phone booth inside at G rather than being isolated in space against Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram and Kalil Mack and such like might help him a lot.

So, potentially, the Broncos could have significantly strengthened their OL. This dude is obviously starting, since they are paying him $10m. That's the most any Broncos OL has been paid since Ryan Clady!
    Hey, maybe between Veldheer and Watson they’ll get 16 starts at RT? It’s pretty ambitious but it’s just daft enough to work.

Bold strategy, Cotton, let’s see if it pays off.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 03-23-2018 at 11:55 PM.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Actually I did read this in one of those tweets, Watson might have to take a paycut.

So, nany nany, boo boo, stick your head in doo doo.
    Once again for the slow of wit. I'll even put it in big font to make it easier for you to read:

THE BRONCOS GUARANTEED WATSON'S CONTRACT FOR 2018 LAST SUNDAY!

There! Was that big and bright enough for you to see? One possibility was for them to try and cut Watson's salary, but instead they guaranteed it. Now they CAN'T CUT HIS SALARY! NOT! They can keep him and pay him $7m or else trade him and try and get something for him.

Probably they are keeping him since Elway said they are keeping him. So, he's almost certainly getting his $7 m and staying.[QUOTE]
    With Menelik Watson returning (his salary was fully guaranteed last Sunday) and Billy Turner re-signed to a one-year contract, the team is confident it not only has the right pieces now, but also the depth at tackle.

What’s more: The trade for Veldheer gives the Broncos’ options after 2018; Veldheer, 30, has one year remaining on his contract, with a base salary of $6.5 million.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-24-2018 at 12:08 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Once again for the galactically stupid; you asked if I bothered reading anything before I shoot my mouth off ... I did.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Do you ever bother to check anything at all before shooting off your mouth?.
    Read it carefully, Cugel, then apply my answer/response.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Well, this makes things interesting draft wise.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Well, this makes things interesting draft wise.
    Now that they have Veldheer they can never draft a RT again.

It’s science.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information