Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos trade for OT Jared Veldheer

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Speaking of tight end, has everyone forgotten Jake Butt?
    I think he’ll be good. But he hasn’t played a down so we don’t really know. I have no problem bringing in a vet to help out but I wouldn’t go high in the draft this year

2. The Following User High Fived VonDoom For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by VonDoom View Post
    To follow up on this, looks like I was right, though I missed a minor detail.

So it's $6.5 million base salary, and according to OTC, $500,000 in "in game" roster bonuses (so I wonder if that would be less if he's hurt and can't play - not sure on that). But basically $7 million, not $10.2 million for us.

https://overthecap.com/player/jared-veldheer/1270

Now back to the "does he suck?" discussion that's been going on.
    If right, that's good, because they need most of what cap room they have left for the rookie class.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Jaded, I almost fell out of my chair laughing at that post!

But, it won't be me who goes nuclear, it will be John Elway when has a little chat with Mike Sullivan, the team's capologist ("Director of Football Administration"), and Mike Sullivan tells Elway "we're spending $7m on Watson, do you want to keep or move him?" And Elway has to defend spending all that money on a guy who isn't playing.

But, he will easily be able to do that by saying: "Well, Mike, Nelson is great and all, we really love him, but as you know full well we really haven't had a lot of depth at that position, so we really desperately need to keep all our options at the T position open. We're probably over-spending a bit this season, but hopefully we can get through this year and then next year the cap hit from releasing Watson won't be so steep and perhaps we can get another OT in the 2019 draft to complement Nelson, and back him up. We could add depth that way. At least that is our thinking right now. Thanks for asking though Mike. We're keeping Watson and he's going to play some but it was better to keep him even if he sits than cut him and take that cap hit in the ass.

And if Nelson is there at #5 we're taking him to the bank. We think he's a generational G in this league, an almost certain pro-bowl starter and probable All-Pro for 10 years in the NFL. And we felt like we just couldn't pass up an opportunity to get a player of that caliber at a position where we felt like we struggled a bit last year and in recent years.

So, we felt like we had a need at that position, and there was a generational player there and we felt we had to draft him. At #5. But, behind him there would be zero quality depth if we cut Watson. "
    I hope you don’t think I read this.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

5. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    I hope you don’t think I read this.
    I don't think you can read, Jared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bettmann-chimpanzee-reading-newspaper_a-l-8668236-14258389.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	11923

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I don't think you can read, Jared.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bettmann-chimpanzee-reading-newspaper_a-l-8668236-14258389.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	11923
    I don’t think Jared can read either, with all his new boyfriends I’m sure his dance card is full.
    Last edited by Simple Jaded; 03-25-2018 at 03:02 PM.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

8. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Its a crap signing now. With that being said we didn't have many options for vet experience not named Watson or Stephenson. The draft is super thin for OT help as well. I'm pissed we didn't go after Flemming from NE at RT, but I'm not a GM either. Elway made a simple call. He needed a Vet tackle that can fill either spot if shit hits the fan like last year. If healthy he will be a decent starter if not we just wasted 10 mil. I hope to god Billy turner improves to as he is probably going to be the swing and with injury history to Veldheer and poor draft options we are gonna need some luck. More than likely were gonna struggle a bit. Maybe not as bad as last year but a struggle none the less. We really need to hope we can grab a guy like Kolton Miller from UCLA or Martinas Rankin from Mississippi State. They both are solid rd. 2-3 tackles that could surprise at RT this year. Biggest knock on the tackle class is lack of weight for size and most got pushed around, that's no Bueno for college to pro transition, However a couple guys like the ones I just mentioned simply need a gym and did well in college and show plus athleticism, The others need lots of development. I'm hoping for Rankin myself, I think he can make a impact as early as TC. Also check out Austin Corbett from Nevada (rd 3-4 guy.)

From Walterfootball.com:

Broncos acquire OT Jared Veldheer from Cardinals for 6th-round picks
    Jared Veldheer was once a solid starting left tackle in the NFL. He was never an elite player, but he was in the second tier of blind-side protectors for a while. That hasn't been the case recently, as he was atrocious last year. There were rumors that Veldheer wanted to retire prior to 2017, and he certainly played like he hung up the cleats. I figured Veldheer would call it a career after his awful 2017 campaign, but apparently not.

Not only is Veldheer a shell of his former self, he also carries a $10.2 million cap hit. The Broncos are eating it in exchange for a sixth-round pick, which doesn't seem right. You'd think they'd get a sixth-rounder to take on the Veldheer money in an NBA-style deal. Thus, I'd say the Cardinals won this trade because they got rid of a terrible contract.

However, this isn't a complete loss for Denver. Veldheer is still just 31, so there's still a chance, albeit a small one, that he would bounce back. The Broncos are desperate for right tackle help, and as bad as Veldheer was last year, he would be an upgrade over what they had there last year.

Grade for Broncos - C
    Grade for Cardinals - A-

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/nfltra...#ixzz5Ar4yLmy9

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the trade myself.....
    Last edited by Elevation inc; 03-26-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

10. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Geez guys... lets let him play in preseason even? Before hes called garbage?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    Its a crap signing now. With that being said we didn't have many options for vet experience not named Watson or Stephenson. The draft is super thin for OT help as well. I'm pissed we didn't go after Flemming from NE at RT, but I'm not a GM either. Elway made a simple call. He needed a Vet tackle that can fill either spot if shit hits the fan like last year. If healthy he will be a decent starter if not we just wasted 10 mil. I hope to god Billy turner improves to as he is probably going to be the swing and with injury history to Veldheer and poor draft options we are gonna need some luck. More than likely were gonna struggle a bit. Maybe not as bad as last year but a struggle none the less. We really need to hope we can grab a guy like Kolton Miller from UCLA or Martinas Rankin from Mississippi State. They both are solid rd. 2-3 tackles that could surprise at RT this year. Biggest knock on the tackle class is lack of weight for size and most got pushed around, that's no Bueno for college to pro transition, However a couple guys like the ones I just mentioned simply need a gym and did well in college and show plus athleticism, The others need lots of development. I'm hoping for Rankin myself, I think he can make a impact as early as TC. Also check out Austin Corbett from Nevada (rd 3-4 guy.)

From Walterfootball.com:

Broncos acquire OT Jared Veldheer from Cardinals for 6th-round picks
    Jared Veldheer was once a solid starting left tackle in the NFL. He was never an elite player, but he was in the second tier of blind-side protectors for a while. That hasn't been the case recently, as he was atrocious last year. There were rumors that Veldheer wanted to retire prior to 2017, and he certainly played like he hung up the cleats. I figured Veldheer would call it a career after his awful 2017 campaign, but apparently not.

Not only is Veldheer a shell of his former self, he also carries a $10.2 million cap hit. The Broncos are eating it in exchange for a sixth-round pick, which doesn't seem right. You'd think they'd get a sixth-rounder to take on the Veldheer money in an NBA-style deal. Thus, I'd say the Cardinals won this trade because they got rid of a terrible contract.

However, this isn't a complete loss for Denver. Veldheer is still just 31, so there's still a chance, albeit a small one, that he would bounce back. The Broncos are desperate for right tackle help, and as bad as Veldheer was last year, he would be an upgrade over what they had there last year.

Grade for Broncos - C
    Grade for Cardinals - A-

Read more: http://www.walterfootball.com/nfltra...#ixzz5Ar4yLmy9

Pretty much sums up how I feel about the trade myself.....
    He's not going to playing of the blindside, and as the conclusion to the article says he's still an upgrade over what had last season.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I alluded to the RT point in my post and the article is basically about how I feel with regards to the trade.

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    No, that goes against the popular way of things around here. Everything sucks and nothing Elway does is right. Why would we hold off until after the draft and training game tom completely write the season off? Hell, is it too early to predict we're going to win 2 games in 2019?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

In this case a spade is a spade....Watson was a less talented version of this scenario the year prior. We hoped for the best, but the fact was he was injury prone and had lost some skill, and sure enough ouch! Veldheer is in the same boat albeit he has some more talent but the concerns are valid and had supporting evidence all over the last 2 years. For 10 mil, I hate it. I get why we made the move, but I'm not a blind sheep either, and this just isn't that great. I would wager these same conversations have been held by Elway and his staff and they are hoping for the best, knowing how weak the FA class and his current roster at RT is....

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU

FA
    1. With what money

16. The Following User High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    No, that goes against the popular way of things around here. Everything sucks and nothing Elway does is right. Why would we hold off until after the draft and training game tom completely write the season off? Hell, is it too early to predict we're going to win 2 games in 2019?
    smh

People condemn these guys yet they do a job we would only dream of doing for far below League min lol
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    I alluded to the RT point in my post and the article is basically about how I feel with regards to the trade.
    Yes, I got that from your post. Just to be sure, I want you know I'm not criticizing you, I'm just re-emphasizing that he's not being asked to play left tackle.

19. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

lol! don't let KC and the sunshine boys get to ya, Einc. . .

21. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

I thought the Broncos were picking up $6m of his $10m contract and the Cardinals were eating $4m.

But, as for him wanting to retire after last year, who cares? Nick Foles wanted to retire after the 2016 season, and wound up being SB MVP. Funny how a change of teams and coaches can change things. For the Broncos he's an upgrade. If he plays average they will be thrilled. In AZ he was a disappointment they wanted to get rid of.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information