Page 14 of 44 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup 2018

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    Football is my favorite - I kind of like the flow of the game because it often times is still enjoyable - the QB's changing plays at the LOS irritates a lot of people because it slows things, down, I like it. Not saying that's an issue that you guys are taking, just an example. I also think it's the most tactical sport - the things coordinators do in real time is captivating, and that's a strategic part that I love. You have a lot of interchangeable pieces moving around on the field with 22 players.

But, the NBA is creeping up on it. The highest quality NBA game beats out most sports to me. I'm also enjoying baseball more than before, because it has it's own interesting pace.

My issue with soccer is that you get so many great plays with no payoff. It's really more about field position than anything else. I know it's the beautiful game, and in many ways it is. IDK. Point guards cross someone up and then a bucket usually ensues. A soccer player can break a guy's ankles and more often than not...nothing happens. Maybe I'm too impatient.
    Yes. You are impatient. You were freaking out about the Dodgers in April...five more months to go!

I really enjoy soccer since I got into it after the last World Cup, but it's not an NFL Sunday. And it's not Opening Day.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Yes. You are impatient. You were freaking out about the Dodgers in April...five more months to go!

I really enjoy soccer since I got into it after the last World Cup, but it's not an NFL Sunday. And it's not Opening Day.
    If I didn't do my part to will the team back to power they would have folded. Just like I willed the Warriors to a title through subterfuge!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

If I didn't do my part to will the team back to power they would have folded. Just like I willed the Warriors to a title through subterfuge!
    I consider both treasonous acts. Good day!
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

5. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

I consider both treasonous acts. Good day!
    You didn't root for beloved Tunisia, so we are even.

Even Buff rolled with Tunisia and he's told me he wants me to die.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I also love the crowd sounds in soccer stadiums stadiums

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I also love the crowd sounds in soccer stadiums stadiums
    I went to a Nashville soccer match that held about 10k people. It was more lit than any Denver (70k ish) or Tennessee (100k ish) that I’ve ever been to.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I like the no commercials. I like that there isn't any stupid kneeling drama and people complaining about it. I like that there is essentially only 1 ref to determine fouls. I like the smooth, slow build up and the fancy passes and dribbles and crosses and free kicks. Yeah some parts are boring, but I think there's a lot to appreciate about it even when it's slower paced and boring.

Broncos football reigns supreme. But these days I don't find the game enjoyable enough to casually watch NFL games featuring teams I don't give a shit about. I assume part of this has to do with seeing the Broncos win a SB in my adult life. I feel like I can cross that off the list and move on to other things now, like soccer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    I am close to that, abe. The flow of NFL games is so bad, it's often painful. The action itself is superior, but with all the commercials and drawn out reviews and penalties, not to mention how politics has crept into the broadcast narrative, the bloom is off the rose. Plus the constant roster shuffle takes away some of the enjoyment of fandom, but that's not a huge factor. Still, out of all the sports, Broncos football is about the closest thing to can't miss sporting entertainment for me. Last year Avs came close.
    I totally agree that the shine is off the NFL due in large part to the politics. If I weren't so heavily invested in fantasy every week, I'm not sure I'd care about the rest of the games as much as I do... But as it stands, NFL Sundays remain sacred for me. I look forward to them.

For me it really boils down to not enough climaxes (that's what she said) in soccer... I so rarely feel fully satisfied after watching a soccer match. It's like I love the sport, but want a more concentrated version of it... I've often said that hockey perfected soccer - they added more speed, more physical aggression, condensed the playing surface and the end result is nonstop action.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I love my NFL football, my college Football, and my college basketball. But there is something to WC soccer that i also love and a lot of it is some of the stuff that Abe mentioned about no commercials, etc. The only thing that gets a little old is the flailing by some of the players but every sport has its actors. Cant bring myself to watch soccer outside of the WC but when the cup is going i have been rabid about it. I do hate though that i have to miss a lot of the action throughout the week but thank god for replays. At least Germany plays on Saturday this week.

14. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I love my NFL football, my college Football, and my college basketball. But there is something to WC soccer that i also love and a lot of it is some of the stuff that Abe mentioned about no commercials, etc. The only thing that gets a little old is the flailing by some of the players but every sport has its actors. Cant bring myself to watch soccer outside of the WC but when the cup is going i have been rabid about it. I do hate though that i have to miss a lot of the action throughout the week but thank god for replays. At least Germany plays on Saturday this week.
    I've tried to get into the Premier League but just can't do it... Can't bring myself to care. But something about the World Cup draws me in every time.

16. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    I've tried to get into the Premier League but just can't do it... Can't bring myself to care. But something about the World Cup draws me in every time.
    You guys should give the Champions League a shot. That is futbol at it’s highest level. Those are truly the best teams and players in the world.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    You guys should give the Champions League a shot. That is futbol at it’s highest level. Those are truly the best teams and players in the world.
    I'll have to look at them and pick a team.

20. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I'll have to look at them and pick a team.
    Different teams each year.

It's all based on how you finished in your domestic league. The top team in each domestic league in the UEFA qualify for Champions the following year. They play a bunch of play-in rounds for winners from countries like Georgia and Lichtenstein and Gibraltar.

The top leagues get multiple teams. Premier League, La Liga (Spain) and Serie A (Italy) all get 4 teams, France and Russia get 3, and then a number of leagues get two. It's a fascinating structure to me, because we don't have anything like it in the states. Most of the top league teams go into group play, like the first round of the World Cup, and then the top qualifiers from that get to the knockout. City, United, Tottenham and Liverpool are the four Premier League teams for 2018-19.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Different teams each year.

It's all based on how you finished in your domestic league. The top team in each domestic league in the UEFA qualify for Champions the following year. They play a bunch of play-in rounds for winners from countries like Georgia and Lichtenstein and Gibraltar.

The top leagues get multiple teams. Premier League, La Liga (Spain) and Serie A (Italy) all get 4 teams, France and Russia get 3, and then a number of leagues get two. It's a fascinating structure to me, because we don't have anything like it in the states. Most of the top league teams go into group play, like the first round of the World Cup, and then the top qualifiers from that get to the knockout. City, United, Tottenham and Liverpool are the four Premier League teams for 2018-19.
    Soccer is for intellectuals.

24. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Anyone play FIFA 18 on PS4?

26. The Following 2 Users High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I haven't got a FIFA game since 2013, but it was always a million times better than Madden.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information