Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The REAL auto thread!

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Default The REAL auto thread!

Hi

After reading through Beef and Nuts Small Engine thread which veered into Beefs usual nonsense (it was in the Lounge after all) I thought we needed something on a more serious note.

Im not a mechanic but i have done plenty of work on my own cars. I've owned almost 30 cars in about 25 years. Ive done a lot of work myself on them from oil changes to tune ups and small repairs. I've worked with primarily one mechanic for much of that time.

There were questions asked in that thread about simpler things, like oil viscosity to spark plugs to fluids.

If anyone has any questions or if I could be of meaningful help for anything at all, post here.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

2. The Following User High Fived Shazam! For This Post:

Lol. Sounds like you go through vehicles extremely quickly. With proper maintenance you could probably avoid that.
    Last edited by Timmy!; 03-20-2018 at 08:31 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Nah, I usually sell and upgrade. I keep maintenance tight.

I have a half ton dodge with a 4.7 litre motor. The gas mileage has been frustrating
    I was only getting 11, then I had the plugs changed and bought a K&N filter (thinking about switching to a cold air intake because I’m not happy with the responsiveness of the motor). After those changes it went up to 12.5mpg. I assumed my mileage should be much better so I had the fuel pump and filter replaced and my mileage promptly dropped back to 10. Ugh!

I called the guy who did it and the only help he would offer was suggesting a fuel injector cleaner, which didn’t help

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I have a half ton dodge with a 4.7 litre motor. The gas mileage has been frustrating
    I was only getting 11, then I had the plugs changed and bought a K&N filter (thinking about switching to a cold air intake because I’m not happy with the responsiveness of the motor). After those changes it went up to 12.5mpg. I assumed my mileage should be much better so I had the fuel pump and filter replaced and my mileage promptly dropped back to 10. Ugh!

I called the guy who did it and the only help he would offer was suggesting a fuel injector cleaner, which didn’t help
    I get about 11.5 street 15 highway in my Lincoln Aviator. It has a Ford Cobra 4.6 300 horses.

Price we pay for torque and 4x4 lol

You could modify your exhaust maybe get another 10hp without altering the altering the gas mileage.

Tune ups on time and keep all your maintenance proper, even tire pressures.

Other than not driving it to save gas lol, a light foot always help especially local

What grade oil do you use? Most call for 5x20 for most OM specs. This can make a difference if using a heavy weight oil

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

9. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post

Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?
    Thats an Instant gas saving lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    I get about 11.5 street 15 highway in my Lincoln Aviator. It has a Ford Cobra 4.6 300 horses.

You could modify your exhaust maybe get another 10hp without altering the altering the gas mileage.

Other than not driving it to save gas lol, a light foot always help especially local

What grade oil do you use? Most call for 5x20 for most OM specs. This can make a difference if using a heavy weight oil
    Well, I do the regular maintenance. Im persuaded something else is wrong. I do have a tendency to put my foot down on the pedal because the transmission is frustrating. It will shift from 3rd to 4th at like 30 mph before the stupid thing has even reached 2k rpm; so annoying! I’m just about done with this truck.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Well, I do the regular maintenance. Im persuaded something else is wrong. I do have a tendency to put my foot down on the pedal because the transmission is frustrating. It will shift from 3rd to 4th at like 30 mph before the stupid thing has even reached 2k rpm; so annoying! I’m just about done with this truck.
    How does the tranny act during normal shifting at light gas is it smooth or does it jerk or slam hard into gear?

How many miles are on the car and has the transmission fluid been changed recently
    Last edited by Shazam!; 03-20-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

I have a Ram 1500 and average 17-18 mpg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    Thats actually Very good. I'm resigned to the fact my truck gets horrible gas mileage, especially sucks it needs 91 octane minimum.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    That's because you drive like a grandma.

Imagine what buff's truck gets with his lead foot. Like 2-3 MPG?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

How does the tranny act during normal shifting at light gas is it smooth or does it jerk or slam hard into gear?

How many miles are on the car and has the transmission fluid been changed recently
    The transmission fluid is fine. I had it checked at my last oil change. Most of the time it shifts fine, although at times it feels as thought it slips when downshifting, but I think that might actually be my Joey bed moving, lol.

My 2000 Dakota has a 4.7 and I also have a k&n. I get about 13 city, 15 highway. 4.7s are not meant to be very eco friendly. If Amber drives it for a week it gets around 11. Driving habits definitely make a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

19. The Following User High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Richard Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    My 2000 Dakota has a 4.7 and I also have a k&n. I get about 13 city, 15 highway. 4.7s are not meant to be very eco friendly. If Amber drives it for a week it gets around 11. Driving habits definitely make a difference.
    You should buy a Lincoln.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information