Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Jets Trade Up to #3 To Get Ahead Of The Broncos!

Quote Originally Posted by SmilinAssasSin27 View Post
    There are some players who consistently have concussion issues to include being more prone to them than others and experiencing longer recovery times. I would shy away from a high pick or paying big FA money to a guy with those concerns.
    You mean like Steve Young?
    Name:  mic-drop-2boom.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  15.8 KB

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Would the Jets have traded up if the NYG said openly they werent going QB? I doubt it.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You mean like Steve Young?
    Name:  mic-drop-2boom.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  15.8 KB
    I can't find anything about concussions in college. They all - from what I can find - occurred in the NFL.

Your point is moot.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Because physical tools are overrated. Unless you're so horribly deficient, and shouldn't be in the league, you can't get by with just that. Cam Newton is bad at being a QB, but he's the exception to the rule because of how talented he is. That type of guy isn't out there often. But, neither are minds like Rosen. Take someone who can dissect a playbook, tell you why every play is in there, and have categorical knowledge of the playbook, the theories behind it, the specific theories of that playbook, why it's constructed that way, etc. The guy views the game on a systemic level - on a fundamental and theoretical level as well as not just the theory, but the actual practice of it. And he's hyper competitive, even as far as athletes go. Trent Dilfer heard about Rosen when he was in high school. Not uncommon for prospects, but he's panned out from that time and he has that mind. He has a really good arm, not a great one, but with arm strength to spare. He's the best pure passer in the class and he has the best mind.

He'll end up putting on some weight and that critique goes out the window. Then you have the concussion argument, which isn't worthless, but is probably being overblown. Then you have the bad teammate knock, which is in dispute. Then you have the attitude issues which are really more of a 'political bent' that I won't get into.

Take aside the concussion thing for a second - where's the actual problem? There's not much of one - he's probably the most underrated player in the entire draft. And make no mistake, I'd be fine with multiple QB's here. Allen developing behind CK actually makes a modicum of sense, even though we paid a horrible price for a backup QB. Mayfield could probably start, and while I wish he was taller, the rest of the boxes get checked. Then you have Darnold, who is, to some, the best overall package, but raw. Etc. Point being, I would prefer Rosen because I see a rare mix of high end intellect, competitive spirit, and polished play, but I could get on board with a lot of the QB's.

TL;DR - is that instead of having to choose between the arm and the super brain, you rarely don't get to have both, and Rosen represents both.
    Rosen, long arms, arm strength, big hands and a solid 3-cone.

It’s science, damn yos.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

But is he a son of god?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    But is he a son of god?
    No, but...

He’s the God of Thunder.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

“I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Get hype bitches!

#ThunderPoundsWhenIStompTheGround
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

That's one view of Rosen. But, then why are the Giants passing on him at #2? Answer: because not every team views Rosen like this. Some see him as a risky pick and don't want him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Would the Jets have traded up if the NYG said openly they werent going QB? I doubt it.
    Why would they tell the Colts? The Colts infer from the Giants getting rid of JPP that they are going to pass on Rosen and take Chubb.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

It appears it may be fortunate for the Broncos that Mayfield is popularly viewed as #4 among
    the four QBs. It looks as if he is their man. I would not be totally surprised if they jump on
    him if he's available but will go BPA if he's not, no matter what other QB is. IMO
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    It appears it may be fortunate for the Broncos that Mayfield is popularly viewed as #4 among
    the four QBs. It looks as if he is their man. I would not be totally surprised if they jump on
    him if he's available but will go BPA if he's not, no matter what other QB is. IMO
    It appears they like him, and could conceivably take him at #5, but it would be rather unlikely according to Troy Renck the 9News Broncos beat writer who knows everybody in the team hierarchy. The way the NFL works is that the players who are being paid the most tend to start.

They might suck their way out of a starting job, but they get first crack at starting almost always. So, if you're paying $25m for one season for a guy it's hard not to start him. Can you imagine a scenario where they were not playing Von Miller for some reason, and yet were paying him $18m a year? This is $7m worse than that.

It's just very difficult to pay a QB all that money if he's not going to be your starter. And yet why draft a QB at #5 if you're not going to play him? What's the point? You're 5-11! The time to start him is now, while you still suck, so he can learn and not cost you a playoff spot, because you weren't going to the playoffs anyway, not two years from now, when presumably the team around him is better.

The logical conclusion I come to is that Elway thinks he can build a team around Keenum, but isn't sure, so he was unwilling to commit to more than 2 years. So, it will either work out long term, or else the team will move on after the 2019 season.

But, that does appear to be the direction the team is going, and we might as well get on board and ride and see where it goes. Hopefully somewhere good.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

It appears they like him, and could conceivably take him at #5, but it would be rather unlikely according to Troy Renck the 9News Broncos beat writer who knows everybody in the team hierarchy. The way the NFL works is that the players who are being paid the most tend to start.

They might suck their way out of a starting job, but they get first crack at starting almost always. So, if you're paying $25m for one season for a guy it's hard not to start him. Can you imagine a scenario where they were not playing Von Miller for some reason, and yet were paying him $18m a year? This is $7m worse than that.

It's just very difficult to pay a QB all that money if he's not going to be your starter. And yet why draft a QB at #5 if you're not going to play him? What's the point? You're 5-11! The time to start him is now, while you still suck, so he can learn and not cost you a playoff spot, because you weren't going to the playoffs anyway, not two years from now, when presumably the team around him is better.

The logical conclusion I come to is that Elway thinks he can build a team around Keenum, but isn't sure, so he was unwilling to commit to more than 2 years. So, it will either work out long term, or else the team will move on after the 2019 season.

But, that does appear to be the direction the team is going, and we might as well get on board and ride and see where it goes. Hopefully somewhere good.
    Most of your comment makes some sense, but where you may be stuck is that the Broncos were
    5-11 last year, not this year. It is not believable to me that, with a better QB and a better O-line,
    the Broncos aren't going to improve their record this year. Add an upgrade to the RB position and
    TE, and the Broncos are playoff contenders, IMO.

This can happen through the draft, and likely will. With top a 5 selection in each of the first three
    rounds and two selections each in the 3rd, 4th, and 5th rounds, they are going to upgrade
    something.

I look for a playoff contender in the Broncos next year. I really do. If they can do that, then they
    can afford to let a Mayfield duke it out with Lynch behind Keenum to determine whether they
    have two gems, or a gem and a bust, or just Keenum.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

That's one view of Rosen. But, then why are the Giants passing on him at #2? Answer: because not every team views Rosen like this. Some see him as a risky pick and don't want him.
    I get the feeling that if teams pass on him it will have to do with the rumors that he's difficult to coach and front offices perceive him as kind of player that teammates do not rally around.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I don't know Cug, if Elway believed that Keenum is more than a transition quarterback it doesn't make sense to give him just a two year deal.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information