Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Josh Allen.....vs Elway

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    They didn't overachieve with that pic. When they chose Brock Russell Wilson Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were still on the board. Now I don't think a lot of people figured that any of those guys would be any good. But I can say but I was a huge Wilson fan and our whole reasoning for drafting Brock because he was a younger player was just erroneous at best. Then you toss in the fact that he happened to be Jack Elway's roommate and our decision-making was Highly Questionable
    They overachieved in regards to what they got out of Brock, who was a strong armed guy with nothing else going for him. Not mechanics, not mobility, not accuracy, nothing. They turned him into a guy who is a borderline starter in the league, and who very well could have been a solid starter, albeit never great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

TS >> Brock...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

3. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well said, and the fact TS even got on the field is a positive.
    The fault certainly wasn't with Trevor Siemian. He vastly exceeded expectations, which for a 7th round QB is "a nice training camp arm that didn't cost the Broncos anything but a 7th round pick." In short, 7th rounders are throw-away picks. If they amount to anything it's a plus.

Mostly they are cut in training camp and never leave a ripple.

It's Elway's fault that the Broncos didn't have a better plan than "let's throw Paxton and Trevor at a wall and see if either of them sticks."

Now they have a sensible Qb in place, who can start for the next two years. If in that time they get a developmental QB who doesn't suck that guy can take over in 2020. If not, it's back to the draft.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    The fault certainly wasn't with Trevor Siemian. He vastly exceeded expectations, which for a 7th round QB is "a nice training camp arm that didn't cost the Broncos anything but a 7th round pick." In short, 7th rounders are throw-away picks. If they amount to anything it's a plus.

Mostly they are cut in training camp and never leave a ripple.

It's Elway's fault that the Broncos didn't have a better plan than "let's throw Paxton and Trevor at a wall and see if either of them sticks."

Now they have a sensible Qb in place, who can start for the next two years. If in that time they get a developmental QB who doesn't suck that guy can take over in 2020. If not, it's back to the draft.
    TS > CK

It’s science.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

TS was trash and proved to be a horrible starter. You shouldn't be in the league if you can't complete 60% of your passes...and he can't.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    They didn't overachieve with that pic. When they chose Brock Russell Wilson Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins were still on the board. Now I don't think a lot of people figured that any of those guys would be any good. But I can say but I was a huge Wilson fan and our whole reasoning for drafting Brock because he was a younger player was just erroneous at best. Then you toss in the fact that he happened to be Jack Elway's roommate and our decision-making was Highly Questionable
    I don't think anybody can be blamed for not drafting Foles or Wilson, let alone Kirk Cousins. Not one GM thought enough of any of them to draft them in the top 2 rounds - which is where every team tries to find their franchise QBs. Usually the top 15 picks of the first round.

Nobody had any idea Cousins would ever become a starter - especially not the Redskins. Cousins was Shanahan's guy but ownership had just invested massively in RGIII and wanted him to play, not Cousins. They fired Shanahan over this issue, tried to re-commit to RGIII and watched him flame out.

That was the beginning of the Cousins - Redskins rift that led to Cousins leaving as a FA, and the Redskins having to give up a bunch of picks to trade for Alex Smith.

As for Foles, nobody before this season thought he could play at all. The jury is still out on that one. Was his SB run a kind of Joe Flacco 2012 fluke?

The Broncos wanted a young QB to groom behind Peyton, but they weren't sure Peyton would last more than 1 year. So, they drafted Osweiler and the rest is history. Not a good history of course.

It could have been worse of course, Osweiler could have finished earning $37m guaranteed from the Broncos!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    TS was trash and proved to be a horrible starter. You shouldn't be in the league if you can't complete 60% of your passes...and he can't.
    After everything TS has done for you? Smdh
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

After everything TS has done for you? Smdh
    Yeah, he did a lot...being on par with Johnny Manziel.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Btw, I believe the Giants were once involved in a draft/trade scenario like this where the strategery work out for both teams.
    Are you talking about when they traded picks with the Chargers?
    Last edited by TXBRONC; 03-29-2018 at 12:14 PM.

11. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    As for Foles, nobody before this season thought he could play at all. The jury is still out on that one. Was his SB run a kind of Joe Flacco 2012 fluke?
    Except me and possibly any other UA fans. I didn't like the Osweiler selection because I wanted
    the Broncos to take Foles. And I can't say I was wrong. Foles did make the Pro Bowl in his
    second year. He did have a bit off a fall off the next year, although not terribly badly. I'm not
    sure what happened there because I lost touch with the Eagles. But then he went to the
    Rams to suffer under the Fisher curse (see Keenum, Case).

Foles then went to the Chiefs, where he played in only four games, starting one (which he won).
    His passer rating during that short stint was 105.9, and he threw no INTs. So, while last year
    was a surprise to many, I saw only the Foles I have seen since his college days. And the Eagles
    refuse to let him go, even for high draft choices, which says a lot.

I don't think the Broncos would have done badly with Foles, and I don't think they did badly with
    Keenum . . . any worse than they would have done with Cousins, IMO. I know others here will be
    happy to disagree with me, and I could be wrong, but we'll see . . .

But I am glad Osweiler bolted from the Broncos when he did.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Except me and possibly any other UA fans. I didn't like the Osweiler selection because I wanted
    the Broncos to take Foles. And I can't say I was wrong. Foles did make the Pro Bowl in his
    second year. He did have a bit off a fall off the next year, although not terribly badly. I'm not
    sure what happened there because I lost touch with the Eagles. But then he went to the

Foles then went to the Chiefs, where he played in only four games, starting one (which he won).
    His passer rating during that short stint was 105.9, and he threw no INTs. So, while last year
    was a surprise to many, I saw only the Foles I have seen since his college days. And the Eagles

I don't think the Broncos would have done badly with Foles, and I don't think they did badly with
    Keenum . . . any worse than they would have done with Cousins, IMO. I know others here will be

I remember you pimping Foles back in the day. You were right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

15. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by slim View Post
    I remember you pimping Foles back in the day. You were right.
    I love you when you're not in busting mode.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

17. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

I was about to write something similar. But you already nailed it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Foles > Brent > CK6 > CK4
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

There were obviously several much better options the Broncos could have selected other than Osweiler, and Foles is one of them. Keenum and Cousins and Russell Wilson too.

This is an Elway pattern in drafting crap when there are much better options staring him in the face. He did it when he drafted Cody Latimer, when Jarvis Landry and Allen Robinson were both taken a few picks later and Devonta Freeman was actually drafted in the fourth round - well after Denver took Michael Schofield.

"Round and round and round it goes and where it stops nobody knows!"

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information