Poll: With the 5th pick in the NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: With The 5th Pick of the NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select..............

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

If we stay at 5, we should go with Chubb. Otherwise if we can we should trade back a few spots get a extra pick out of the deal and then take Nelson at G or Ward at CB.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Elevation inc For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Elevation inc View Post
    If we stay at 5, we should go with Chubb. Otherwise if we can we should trade back a few spots get a extra pick out of the deal and then take Nelson at G or Ward at CB.
    Problem is...Colts, Bucs, Bears, 9ers and Raiders dont need QB's. So if you trade back any further than that, you probably aren't getting Nelson or Ward.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Problem is...Colts, Bucs, Bears, 9ers and Raiders dont need QB's. So if you trade back any further than that, you probably aren't getting Nelson or Ward.
    That's probably true as well. It could be that we just take ward, nelson or chubb at 5, which I would be okay with, probably ward being the least favorite of those 3.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

The Giants just traded JPP to the Buccaneers, increasing the speculation that Chubb will be their target in the first round which also means one of the Top 4 QBs will be there at #5 to tempt Elway. (Buccaneers gave the trade two, err one, thumbs up).
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

7. The Following User High Fived OrangeHoof For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    ...and Shanahan never saw the playoffs again...with the Broncos, anyway...
    But the Broncos *did* see the playoffs again in 2011, 2013-15, including two Super Bowl appearances. Let's not pretend Plummer would have led them to a Super Bowl.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Chubb??
    Miller isn't a spring chicken anymore and Ray haven't really proven to be an impact player as of yet.
    Nelson would be a starter for 10'years,
    IMO, after signing Kennum, there is no way we take a QB.
    I don't know Turf, with kind of contract that Keenum was given I don't think taking a quarterback is off the table at five or even later on.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    I don't know Turf, with kind of contract that Keenum was given I don't think taking a quarterback is off the table at five or even later on.
    Maybe later but I don't think they take one at 5. JMO
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

11. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Maybe later but I don't think they take one at 5. JMO
    It depends on just how strongly Elway feels about these quarterbacks. If there is only one or two them neither of them make to the fifth selection then I agree Elway won't be selecting a quarterback at 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    We have seen this as fans before. The biggest mistake in my estimation of the Shanahan era and what cost him his job, was when he drafted poopy pants cutler in 2006. That was after Plummer had his best season as a pro, and led this team deep into the playoffs. He was at an all time high with his game, made the pro bowl, and he was basically defeated when the Broncos made the dumb decision to trade up to draft poopy pants instead of taking what they should have, and that was N'gata.

That was a horrific decision, and I do think that really destroyed Plummer. That, could very well be something very similar here. I believe if they show Keenum that he is the man by not drafting one of these PROJECTS in the first round, then he will come into TC with a swagger that I believe is needed.

It is true CK has only had ONE solid season. Well, that season was the last one, and right now that confidence is something the Broncos should not mess with. I am hoping they draft either Nelson, or Ward.
    This is difficult for me because at the time I was convinced that the Broncos had reached a ceiling with Plummer and Cutler was an elite QB prospect. It was a miracle he was available at #11. If he were in this year's draft and nobody know what a worthless personality he had, he'd be a top 5 pick, probably the #1 overall pick. I don't think you could fault Shanahan for that one.

Because he had every possible tool. He just didn't care. He could have been a HOF if he had even 1/2 the dedication of Peyton Manning. But, that great arm was his curse, because he could always rely on that.

Shanahan did a LOT worse than drafting Cutler. For instance, moving up in the draft to draft Jarvis Moss, or taking WR Marcus Nash in the first round and then having to cut him. All the Browncos failures. Giving Gerrard Warren a contract only to have him go right back to sleep. Signing locker room cancer Dale Carter. There were LOTs of failures in personnel decisions.

In retrospect, the Broncos should certainly have passed on taking a QB in 2006, and stayed with Plummer.

But, if they had nothing much would have happened. That 2005 team was a last hurrah for a lot of key players who soon retired, or were traded/released including Al Wilson, Courtney Brown (whose knee gave out), Gerard Warren (who put on a salary drive in 2005 and then took his money and retired without telling anybody), Rod Smith (who had 1100 yards in 2005 but retired after a down 2006 season). Etc.

They were beaten by a much better Steelers team that had a young Ben Roethlisberger on his way up. Last hurrah for a bunch of ageing veterans.

I personally think the last thing they should do in this draft is take a QB at 5. I really think CK developed a confidence that he had never had. I think it has been affirmed by the fact that his childhood team showed the confidence in him. Many people may not know how valuable that is, and how fragile that is. If they draft a QB with the 5th pick, I firmly believe that would crush that confidence.
    I agree but I don't think it's a confidence thing. The Broncos are about 8-10 starters away from winning a SB. It's not just QB it's every single position on this team except outside LB where the Broncos appear set with Von & Shane Ray. Even there, Chubb could be an upgrade on Shane Ray, so they could justify taking him at 5.

The Broncos desperately need impact players at the almost every position. They need to start with #5.

Today Troy Renck was predicting that the Giants would take Josh Rosen at #2 (opposite of what other scouts are saying). (Personally I thought Barkley, but. . . )

If that happens, then QBs go 1,2, 3 and possibly even 4. At worst the Broncos have a chance to draft the 2nd best non-QB in the entire draft. Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Chubb, Barkley. Three of those four can't-miss prospects will be on the boards at 5 for sure. Possibly all four.

Barkley would be my choice since he could be the next Edgerrin James. James in 2004 had 1500 yards plus 60 pass receptions. Imagine that kind of RB on the Broncos. Barkley would be an immediate impact that would give the Broncos a dual threat weapon they haven't had ever. Not Clinton Portis, not even TD was also a great pass receiver.

I don't insist I'm right, it could be Nelson. Whoever they take, I want to see an immediate impact day 1. And an immediate impact from their 2nd round pick too! Let's not forget that.

What I do not want is to sit here the next two years while Josh Allen or Josh Rosen sits on the bench trying to figure out how to play in this league, and unable to beat out Case Keenum for the starting job, or worse, having it just given to him by Elway fiat, and then falling flat.

Because there's no certainty any of these QBs are going to be great. The Broncos already have a GOOD but not great QB. IF Elway is sure enough about Mayfield or Allen to risk his entire career on drafting him - fine! His knowledge is 100 times mine. Go for it!

But, if not, then take Nelson or Barkley at #5 and get an All-Pro player.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-22-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    It depends on just how strongly Elway feels about these quarterbacks. If there is only one or two them neither of them make to the fifth selection then I agree Elway won't be selecting a quarterback at 5.
    That's what I think will happen - unless Elway really loves Baker Mayfield. I think he'll be on the boards now. (Latest word is the Jets may want Allen). Of course, Cleveland will try and trade back out of #4 to some QB hungry team that wants Mayfield. So, all 4 QBs could be off the board - if the latest stories that the Giants will take Rosen (despite supposed character concerns) are true.

Again, I don't have an opinion on which of these Qbs they should take. Just better be sure you're right Elway!

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    This is difficult for me because at the time I was convinced that the Broncos had reached a ceiling with Plummer and Cutler was an elite QB prospect. It was a miracle he was available at #11. If he were in this year's draft and nobody know what a worthless personality he had, he'd be a top 5 pick, probably the #1 overall pick. I don't think you could fault Shanahan for that one.

Because he had every possible tool. He just didn't care. He could have been a HOF if he had even 1/2 the dedication of Peyton Manning. But, that great arm was his curse, because he could always rely on that.

Shanahan did a LOT worse than drafting Cutler. For instance, moving up in the draft to draft Jarvis Moss, or taking WR Marcus Nash in the first round and then having to cut him. All the Browncos failures. Giving Gerrard Warren a contract only to have him go right back to sleep. Signing locker room cancer Dale Carter. There were LOTs of failures in personnel decisions.

In retrospect, the Broncos should certainly have passed on taking a QB in 2006, and stayed with Plummer.

But, if they had nothing much would have happened. That 2005 team was a last hurrah for a lot of key players who soon retired, or were traded/released including Al Wilson, Courtney Brown (whose knee gave out), Gerard Warren (who put on a salary drive in 2005 and then took his money and retired without telling anybody), Rod Smith (who had 1100 yards in 2005 but retired after a down 2006 season). Etc.

They were beaten by a much better Steelers team that had a young Ben Roethlisberger on his way up. Last hurrah for a bunch of ageing veterans.
    13-3 and AFC championship game is a 'ceiling' I'm sure Shanahan would take back if he could.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    That's what I think will happen - unless Elway really loves Baker Mayfield. I think he'll be on the boards now. (Latest word is the Jets may want Allen). Of course, Cleveland will try and trade back out of #4 to some QB hungry team that wants Mayfield. So, all 4 QBs could be off the board - if the latest stories that the Giants will take Rosen (despite supposed character concerns) are true.

Again, I don't have an opinion on which of these Qbs they should take. Just better be sure you're right Elway!
    I haven't seen anything that indicates Cleveland is working to trade that fourth overall all pick. I'm sure they have had interest and maybe have even offers but I haven't even heard any rumors of any kind of offers. It doesn't mean they won't but at the same time to be able potentially get two impact players might give them pause. It's the NFL so anything is possible but, I don't think it's likely that we'll see quarterbacks go 1,2,3, 4.

If Elway doesn't take quarterback at five I'm quite already with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I'm wondering if Elway restructured Von to cover the cost of getting rid of Paxton, among other things. Think about it. Trade Paxton and a pick to New York, draft his QOTF, and let him develop behind Keenum for a year or two. It gives Paxton a change of scenery, and the Giants can develop him behind Eli while still adding a top 5 pick to their team.

Yeah, yeah, I know. We've tried that before. I don't think that the plan was bad though. I think the QB they chose was bad. I'll be interested to see if there are any rumors of Denver talking to the Giants about trading up.
    doubt it

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...-draft-broncos
    After signing Case Keenum, the Denver Broncos will have some flexibility with the fifth overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. John Elway, when asked about drafting a quarterback fifth overall, he chose instead to talk a lot about Paxton Lynch.
    Paxton is still young,” Elway said on whether a quarterback will be considered with the fifth overall pick. “We still have high hopes for Paxton. He’s a young guy that is talented. He’s been here for two years and had a tough year last year with the injuries and everything, but we still have high hopes for Paxton to come in here and compete and continue to grow as a quarterback. That is the expectation for Paxton.

my guess is Barkley, nelson or chubb in that order on elways board so whichever falls to 5 is the one Elway gets

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by arapaho2 View Post
    doubt it

https://www.milehighreport.com/2018/...-draft-broncos
    After signing Case Keenum, the Denver Broncos will have some flexibility with the fifth overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft. John Elway, when asked about drafting a quarterback fifth overall, he chose instead to talk a lot about Paxton Lynch.
    Paxton is still young,” Elway said on whether a quarterback will be considered with the fifth overall pick. “We still have high hopes for Paxton. He’s a young guy that is talented. He’s been here for two years and had a tough year last year with the injuries and everything, but we still have high hopes for Paxton to come in here and compete and continue to grow as a quarterback. That is the expectation for Paxton.

my guess is Barkley, nelson or chubb in that order on elways board so whichever falls to 5 is the one Elway gets
    I'm not sure means all that much.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information