Poll: With the 5th pick in the NFL draft, the Denver Broncos select....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: With The 5th Pick of the NFL Draft....the Denver Broncos select..............

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Remember all the "experts" thought Johnny Highball was going to be in the Top 5 because he had "it". Then he tumbled when real football people had to decide his fate until the Browns grabbed him and watched him flame out like a lit cocktail. I don't think Mayfield will flame out as spectacularly as Manziel but I would not be shocked to see him fall out of the Top 10 because of it. Remember, this is the lying season among GMs. They try not to let on who they covet.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Remember all the "experts" thought Johnny Highball was going to be in the Top 5 because he had "it". Then he tumbled when real football people had to decide his fate until the Browns grabbed him and watched him flame out like a lit cocktail. I don't think Mayfield will flame out as spectacularly as Manziel but I would not be shocked to see him fall out of the Top 10 because of it. Remember, this is the lying season among GMs. They try not to let on who they covet.
    True, but if you watch what they do and not what they say, you can get clues. The Giants trading JPP is a strong clue they will take Chubb either at #2 or #5 if they trade back with the Broncos. That would be ideal for them because they get their guy, and also pick up some extra 2nd round draft picks but stay ahead of the Colts at #6.

Why would they give up TPP and his 8 sack season production unless they were going to be able to replace him with someone better?

Think about it! They could see Chubb as the next Michael Strahan! That worked out to two world's championships for the Giants over the Patriots:
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...hase-brady.gif
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-24-2018 at 01:22 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    But we have zero idea what the only people in the world who actually count think - NFL GMs.

We have lots of rumors. I sometimes comment on said rumors, but I always say "if this is true" or "interesting, if true" because I sure as Hell don't know and nobody else does either.

The "educamacated opinion" is that

#1 the Browns are picking Darnold.
    #2 the Giants are picking Chubb because they cut JPP which they could have done after the draft or not at all. He was expecting to be re-structured. "HOw about NOPE!"
    #3 Jets take Allen
    #4 Browns try to trade down to a team that wants Mayfield or Rosen, hopefully for their sake the Broncos. Trading with the Broncos would be getting something for nothing from their perspective. They need extra draft picks and Denver is not going to take their guy which is Sequon Barkley (at least the Browns will believe that is true, or else they wouldn't trade down, but would take Barkley at #4, since everybody has them taking Darnold #1 and Barkley at #4 if he's there).

If the Broncos won't trade, they have to decide whether they love Barkley enough to refuse to trade back further, because if they trade back to Buffalo at #12 then Barkley, Chubb, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, all the top players won't be there.

So, they would get less of a can't miss player and more of a "he's good but not as great a prospect as the top 4 players in the draft who project as All-Pros a the next level if the scouts are right." But they would get an extra Broncos pick at the top of the 3rd round probably.
    Who are you and what have you done with Cugel?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Logically, if you are at #5 and at least 3 QBs will be taken in the top 4 you can predict who will be available at #5, knowing simply that Allen and Darnold are the top 2 Qbs. That means either Mayfield or Rosen will be on the board at #5 or both, if the Browns take Barkley and don't trade back.

Walther Football Mock Draft:

Denver Broncos: Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame

Case Keenum signing with the Broncos does not take them out of the quarterback sweepstakes. Take a look at the Bears. They brought in Mike Glennon with a big contract last offseason, yet they took Mitchell Trubisky anyway. However, it does make it more likely that Denver could wait until 2019 or 2020 for their franchise signal-caller because it'll have to move up to No. 2 to get whichever quarterback it wants.

This may seem a bit too early for a guard, but Quenton Nelson is the best player in this class behind Saquon Barkley. Besides, the Redskins used the fifth-overall selection on Brandon Scherff several years ago, and that panned out. Denver desperately needs to improve its blocking, and Nelson is the only prospect worth taking at No. 5.

Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018....L1d06ADptEM.99
    That is emerging as the consensus opinion about what the Broncos will do at #5.

6. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    True, but if you watch what they do and not what they say, you can get clues. The Giants trading JPP is a strong clue they will take Chubb either at #2 or #5 if they trade back with the Broncos. That would be ideal for them because they get their guy, and also pick up some extra 2nd round draft picks but stay ahead of the Colts at #6.

Why would they give up TPP and his 8 sack season production unless they were going to be able to replace him with someone better?

Think about it! They could see Chubb as the next Michael Strahan! That worked out to two world's championships for the Giants over the Patriots:
    http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...hase-brady.gif
    That has nothing to do with Mayfield so I don't see your point. Unless your point is that teams do tip their hand before draft day which is obviously true and not at issue. My point is that the draftniks and talking heads go ga-ga over certain players and then are shocked - SHOCKED -- when the real GMs don't see it that way. Manziel was one example and, frankly, I see similarities between Manziel and Mayfield that might cause GMs to think twice before jotting his name on a card.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

I love how the Giants absolutely will take a player that makes common sense (Chubb) but common sense goes out the window with the 5 pick.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Let's ******* go get a real QB!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I love how the Giants absolutely will take a player that makes common sense (Chubb) but common sense goes out the window with the 5 pick.
    Yeah because drafting a 10+ year stalwart to anchor your OL makes zero common sense at all.

When I first heard the possibility of drafting a guard at 5 I thought the same thing. I figured if that was the guy you wanted you could trade down and get him later but Nelson appears to be that rare prospect that makes those typical thought processes obsolete
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Yeah because drafting a 10+ year stalwart to anchor your OL makes zero common sense at all.

When I first heard the possibility of drafting a guard at 5 I thought the same thing. I figured if that was the guy you wanted you could trade down and get him later but Nelson appears to be that rare prospect that makes those typical thought processes obsolete
    I prefer Nelson, I’ve been on Nelson for 2 ******* years.

I’m talking about drafting a QB as being common sense.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

12. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

I prefer Nelson, I’ve been on Nelson for 2 ******* years.

I’m talking about drafting a QB as being common sense.
    Oh, I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Right now my ideal draft is for us to trade with Cle, Buff, and the Giants and draft Mayfield/Rosen, Barkley, Nelson, McGlinchey and Vander Esch.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

14. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Oh, I misunderstood what you were getting at.

Right now my ideal draft is for us to trade with Cle, Buff, and the Giants and draft Mayfield/Rosen, Barkley, Nelson, McGlinchey and Vander Esch.
    There’s so many options at 5 (if they didn’t need a QB) and I think people are rightfully excited. Normally this kind of situation is what makes me a draftgeek.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

For some reason all the fans keep talking about "best player available" - until the subject of QBs comes up. And then everybody loses their minds and thinks the 4th QB off the boards in this year's draft is going to be a 10 year pro-bowler. And they'd rather take the 4th QB than the second best position player in the entire NFL draft.

If Elway looks at the top QB prospects and thinks "Sam Darnold is #1, but Josh Allen is a guy we like who could be there at #5." But, Darnold goes #1 to the Browns, the Jets give away their entire draft to move up 3 spots and grab Allen and now where are you?

If he wants Mayfield he's going to have to give up multiple 2nd round picks to move up 1 spot and grab him ahead of the desperate Bills or Cardinals.

Elway either has to give up multiple #1 picks to move up to #2 and draft a QB who won't even play in 2018, or else sit tight and take the best player available or trade back and acquire more picks.

Since 3 Qbs will be off the boards at #5 he will get his choice of Rosen (the #4 QB probably) or Nelson. I say Nelson!

17. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information