Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13

Thread: Siemien to Vikings

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Yes, he effectively was a second-year player. I stand by that, if that is so important to you.
    My daddy used to say you can't learn to tend bar by sitting on the other side. Anyone
    knowledgeable in football will tell you a player needs reps to develop.

But you glossed over the point of my post to pick at a side comment. Whatever.
    You can learn portions of tending the bar by watching how bartenders pour certain drinks, in what order they put the ingredients in, how they deal with customers. Your father's words have some merit to them, but they are not categorically correct. I didn't gloss over your post - the point about him being so raw is important to the conversation because since it was his third year, it was time for him to show that he can overcome adversity and know to step up in the pocket.

I'm sorry that you feel targeted. I'm not trying to be flippant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    You can learn portions of tending the bar by watching how bartenders pour certain drinks, in what order they put the ingredients in, how they deal with customers. Your father's words have some merit to them, but they are not categorically correct. I didn't gloss over your post - the point about him being so raw is important to the conversation because since it was his third year, it was time for him to show that he can overcome adversity and know to step up in the pocket.

I'm sorry that you feel targeted. I'm not trying to be flippant.
    My father owned a bar. And I played quarterback. What would you like to know?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Note that you did not dispute the points about what you can learn about watching. My father was an English professor - he was brilliant but he did not know everything about the English language, the works of English Literature, etc. Nor was he infallible. You played quarterback. I'm very happy for you. That doesn't make you an authority anymore than anyone else. The attempt to be authoritative was nice, though.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Note that you did not dispute the points about what you can learn about watching. My father was an English professor - he was brilliant but he did not know everything about the English language, the works of English Literature, etc. Nor was he infallible. You played quarterback. I'm very happy for you. That doesn't make you an authority anymore than anyone else. The attempt to be authoritative was nice, though.
    Okay. So you tell my father about tending bar and me about quarterbacking. Meanwhile, I will
    tell you all about how to be a lawyer. You see, you're doing with me just what you did with
    Tned a short while ago. You make superfluous representations of what another says. I did not
    come close to saying what you have been implying what I said, and this post of yours is a case
    in point.

But I'm not carrying this any further. Have a good night.

Okay. So you tell my father about tending bar and me about quarterbacking. Meanwhile, I will
    tell you all about how to be a lawyer. You see, you're doing with me just what you did with
    Tned a short while ago. You make superfluous representations of what another says. I did not
    come close to saying what you have been implying what I said, and this post of yours is a case
    in point.

But I'm not carrying this any further. Have a good night.
    If you think you can't learn anything from watching another person work then I don't know what to do for you other than politely say you're wrong. This isn't about your father, this is about learning and experience and the values you can get out of it. They actually make us learn the theory of law before they even let us try to get a 711 license. I didn't accuse you of saying something that you didn't say - I simply said that your point was wrong. That's not doing anything wrong or horrible, Top. You're clearly upset. I'm sorry that you're upset. But, a guy who spends a year in the league with veterans, practices, etc. has a big leg up on another guy who hasn't. That's why it's wrong to say 'he was effectively a rookie' because no, he wasn't.

6. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Do you still have your leather helmet?
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Do you still have your leather helmet?
    It hung above my daddy's bar until one night my brother-in-law got blitzed and used it as a beer glass . . .

10. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

It hung above my daddy's bar until one night my brother-in-law got blitzed and used it as a beer glass . . .
    Can’t pick your BIL’s, one of mine is a douchecanoe of the highest order.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

If you think you can't learn anything from watching another person work then I don't know what to do for you other than politely say you're wrong. This isn't about your father, this is about learning and experience and the values you can get out of it. They actually make us learn the theory of law before they even let us try to get a 711 license. I didn't accuse you of saying something that you didn't say - I simply said that your point was wrong. That's not doing anything wrong or horrible, Top. You're clearly upset. I'm sorry that you're upset. But, a guy who spends a year in the league with veterans, practices, etc. has a big leg up on another guy who hasn't. That's why it's wrong to say 'he was effectively a rookie' because no, he wasn't.
    I'm not upset. See, you have been assuming all night, and you haven't yet let up. But since
    your daddy was an English scholar, you understand the word "semantics," right? Well that's
    what we're engaged in right now. I am making a statement, and you are responding to what
    you think I'm saying, and it's not the same thing.

But it's all good, my friend. Just not important enough to continue the pissing contest we've
    found ourselves in. As I see it, we're both right. We're just not talking about the same thing.

And I didn't say Trevor was effectively a rookie. I said he was effectively a 2nd year player. (See there?)
    Last edited by topscribe; 03-23-2018 at 11:46 PM.

You can learn portions of tending the bar by watching how bartenders pour certain drinks, in what order they put the ingredients in, how they deal with customers.
    Oh, for God's sake! That old expression means you can't run a bar if you're sitting at the other side of the bar getting drunk with the patrons! That's why bar-tenders aren't allowed to drink on duty. And if you've ever tried to tend bar by watching other people make drinks you know it's not as easy as it looks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Oh, for God's sake! That old expression means you can't run a bar if you're sitting at the other side of the bar getting drunk with the patrons! That's why bar-tenders aren't allowed to drink on duty. And if you've ever tried to tend bar by watching other people make drinks you know it's not as easy as it looks.
    Again, I responded to saying within the context of the conversation. You should stop trying to correct me - you don't ever do it.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information