Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Keenum That Good Or Was Jeff Fisher Just That Bad?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Don’t need OL help because Case Keenum can throw a football over them mountains.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

2. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Well fine, look at it in the most negative light you can if that helps.

Regardless, Elway's going to have to do his job this year. We've got 10 picks after trading Trevor. We need to hit on WR, RB, TE, RT and MLB. It is vital that we at least find a RT and an MLB. Hopefully Butt pans out, that would take out TE and while I doubt it happens, there is still hope for Jordan Taylor and Carlos Henderson. I'd also like us to give Eric Decker a call, I know, you just want to trash his one time he tripped, but he'd make a solid slot and redzone target.
    It wasn’t just one time.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    With our current roster, Aaron Rodgers might not be good enough to get us to a Super Bowl
    I said Tom Brady, but the point is the same. No QB who ever lived, including John Elway '86 could get this team to a SB with the talent level on the team, and if he did, they would get blown out like the early Elway teams did.

They need a RT, a RG, a TE, a WR, maybe 2, and QB, and that's just on offense.
    On defense they need a DT, an ILB, maybe 2, a CB.

And that is just the starters they need to replace. There is also the fact that the team has shed depth. Mike Pritchard was talking about this on the radio the other day.

You get a great player like Talib, then he's gone, and you advance Bradley Roby into his spot. Well, that affects everything. You had Roby as your #3 CB, and now he's #2, but the guy behind him is no Bradley Roby. Brenden Langley? Dude was a reach and hasn't developed anything like that.

So, the talent level of your team declines. Last year when Talib was out, Roby started and was fine, but if either of Denver's starting 2 CBs misses a game, who will take their place? Nobody on this roster could step into that role and not get torched. So, the team needs to draft good young CBs to beef up their roster.

This is true at almost every position. There's zero depth behind the WRs. Even if Jake Butt turns out to be a pro-bowl TE (could take a few years) who is there behind him?

Same thing is true at LB where they also have zero quality depth.

What has happened is that the SB 50 team since then has lost guys like DeMarcus Ware, Talib, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, Wade Phillips, TJ Ward and others, and none of their replacements has been better than any of the guys who retired, was traded or left in FA.

Talent drain. To the point where the Broncos simply need 7 or 8 new starters just to compete for a SB. That's going to take a few years to build up the roster.

That says nothing about a young and inexperienced coaching roster too with VJ and Woods opening only their 2nd season in their jobs, and still learning. Will they develop into top quality coaches?

Anybody who tends to doubt that should simply take a look at the talent level on the Rams and Eagles and Vikings rosters and compare those players to the Broncos. Those teams are simply better at most positions, not just QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Dude, Elway never had a team as good as ‘17 team until Reeves was let go. ES, DT? ... uhhhhhhh, no! Von, Harris, Talibing? No.

Elway took a bunch of Todd Davis’s and 1 or 2 Derek Wolfe’s to the dance.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    So, we have a bad roster. Our FA period has been picking up a pedestrian CB, letting a good CB go, and signing a very average QB. We will have, hopefully, an injection of youth. How much of an impact in the positive do you expect them to make?
    You know, I don't like to see veterans leave this team and be replaced by rookies and young players who have to develop to be as good. But, realistically, how many years of solid drafting and smart FA acquisitions would it take for Denver to get back to a SB, forgetting about QB for a minute?

2 or 3. They need an almost complete rebuild, and worse, they have to maintain the attitude of competing and winning while they are doing that, because a culture of losing is easy to establish and tends to perpetuate itself. Just ask the Raiders, who went from SB to bottom-dwellers and then stayed there for over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Dude, Elway never had a team as good as ‘17 team until Reeves was let go. ES, DT? ... uhhhhhhh, no! Von, Harris, Talibing? No.

Elway took a bunch of Todd Davis’s and 1 or 2 Derek Wolfe’s to the dance.
    I thought about that, but that's why I said "even if they did they'd be blown out." Maybe Elway of "The Drive" could somehow will this team to a SB, but the Eagles would beat them like the Redskins and Giants did those teams.

And there ain't no Elway '86 coming to Denver anytime soon, so that is a pretty irrelevant point anyway. Let's say the Broncos had Aaron Rogers, arguably the best QB in the NFL right now (not the best team). Well, Rogers has gone to 1 SB. He wouldn't win any championships with this roster.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

It’s not irrelevant, the Broncos still need a QB, if that’s part of the process it ALWAYS starts there.
    “I’m just different!”

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    It’s not irrelevant, the Broncos still need a QB, if that’s part of the process it ALWAYS starts there.
    I think you're missing the point deliberately. All the fan focus has been on QB. But the rest of the Broncos roster just isn't ready to compete for championships, no matter who the QB is.

They need a couple of years of really great drafting and FA acquisitions that all pan out. THEN maybe they could hope to compete with the Pittsburgh and New Englands to go to the SB.

The #5 pick of the draft gives them an amazing opportunity to start. So, unless there's a QB that Elway is convinced will be there at #5 who will turn out to be a SB caliber QB (not sure at this point), then take a Nelson, or Chubb, or Minkah Fitzpatrick, or whoever the best player on the board is regardless of position.

Drafting for need is how the Broncos got into this talent deficit in the first place.

"We need a QB! Gotta get a QB! Who's the best QB we can draft? Hmmn. OK, Paxton Lynch isn't as good as Goff or Carson Wentz, but he could be there at #26 so let's take him."

Moral of the story: If you are not sure that a QB is an elite prospect, then don't draft him in the first round.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-17-2018 at 11:48 AM.

There is no consensus on any of the top 4 QBs in this draft, which makes me think none of them are really that good. That makes me lean towards drafting the best player who falls to #5 and just rolling out there with Keenum and seeing how that goes.

Because it's worse to waste a top 5 pick on a guy who turns out to be the next Paxton Lynch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I thought about that, but that's why I said "even if they did they'd be blown out." Maybe Elway of "The Drive" could somehow will this team to a SB, but the Eagles would beat them like the Redskins and Giants did those teams.

And there ain't no Elway '86 coming to Denver anytime soon, so that is a pretty irrelevant point anyway. Let's say the Broncos had Aaron Rogers, arguably the best QB in the NFL right now (not the best team). Well, Rogers has gone to 1 SB. He wouldn't win any championships with this roster.
    Cug, your pessimism underwhelms me. You seem to forget that the Broncos finished -17 in the
    turnover margin last year and nearly 40% of the opponents' starting drives began on the Broncos'
    end of the field. The Broncos' Achilles (besides green QBs) was the O-line. Rodgers had two
    attributes that would have countered the Broncos' problems: (1) pocket awareness and
    escapability and (2) the ability to throw receivers open.

The defense was still filled with studs who played in the Super Bowl, and given the chances to
    play normally, their games would have ended with much different results for them. DT and
    Emmanuel were (and are) still blue-chip receivers and would have been All-Pros on the other
    end of Rodger's passes, IMO. C.J. Anderson would have run rampant because of the threat of
    Rodgers.

Yes, in my opinion, the Broncos with Rodgers could have been a playoff team and might even
    have gone deep into the playoffs.
    Last edited by topscribe; 03-18-2018 at 05:04 PM.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

13. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    There is no consensus on any of the top 4 QBs in this draft, which makes me think none of them are really that good. That makes me lean towards drafting the best player who falls to #5 and just rolling out there with Keenum and seeing how that goes.

Because it's worse to waste a top 5 pick on a guy who turns out to be the next Paxton Lynch.
    There are four spots ahead of us and 3 QB hungry teams, if even one QB hungry team jumps us, none of the top 4 are left. I'm really thinking we won't be getting a QB this draft. Looks like it'll be Barkley, Chubb or Nelson for us.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Cug, your pessimism underwhelms me. You seem to forget that the Broncos finished -17 in the
    turnover margin last year and nearly 40% of the opponents' starting drives began on the Broncos'
    end of the field. The Broncos' Achilles (besides green QBs) was the O-line. Rodgers had two
    attributes that countered the Broncos' problems: (1) pocket awareness and escapability and (2)
    the ability to throw receivers open.

The defense was still filled with studs who played in the Super Bowl, and given the chances to
    play normal games would have ended in a much different result for them. DT and Emmanuel
    were (and are) till blue-chip receivers and would have been All-Pros on the other end of Rodger's
    passes, IMO. C.J. Anderson would have run rampant because of the threat of Rodgers.

Yes, in my opinion, the Broncos with Rodgers would have been a playoff team and might even
    Did he really say that Rodgers wouldnt of made a difference on this team last year? Lol

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Did he really say that Rodgers wouldnt of made a difference on this team last year? Lol
    Well, he didn't say Rodgers wouldn't have made a difference, but he said Rodgers couldn't
    have won a championship with them. Of course, you never know what would happen, and
    we'll never know what could have happened, but with Rodgers, everybody would have all
    the sudden been better: the O-line, WRs, RBs, and even TEs. And even the defense since
    they would be coming in on the right end of the field.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    attributes that would have countered the Broncos' problems: (1) pocket awareness and
    escapability and (2) the ability to throw receivers open.

play normally, their games would have ended with much different results for them. DT and
    Emmanuel were (and are) still blue-chip receivers and would have been All-Pros on the other
    end of Rodger's passes, IMO. C.J. Anderson would have run rampant because of the threat of
    Rodgers.

Yes, in my opinion, the Broncos with Rodgers could have been a playoff team and might even
    You said you disagreed, and then you didn't disagree at all! I said SB championship.

And you just said that if this team got Aaron Rogers they could be a "playoff team and might even go deep in the playoffs."

Yes, that means they would go 10-6 or something, get a wild-card and win in KC or somewhere, then get beat by the Steelers or Patriots in the divisional round.

In short, this team flat wasn't good enough to win the SB last year, no matter who their QB was. Which is exactly what I said. Aaron Rogers took a 7-9 team and made them single-handedly a 10-6 team. They beat the Giants and Cowboys and lost to the Falcons in the NFC Championship. We know they had 7-9 talent because that's what they did this year without Rogers, and 10-6 and conference championship game was their record in 2016.

So, Rogers alone was worth 3 wins to them. Add 3 or 4 wins to the Broncos 2017 and it's 9-7 at best, and that's not enough to lift Denver to anywhere close to the SB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The Broncos would have been miles better last year with Rodgers. How is that even debatable?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information