Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Keenum That Good Or Was Jeff Fisher Just That Bad?

Adopted Bronco:
    Malik Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    The Broncos would have been miles better last year with Rodgers. How is that even debatable?
    Well...where do I begin?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    I think you're missing the point deliberately. All the fan focus has been on QB. But the rest of the Broncos roster just isn't ready to compete for championships, no matter who the QB is.

They need a couple of years of really great drafting and FA acquisitions that all pan out. THEN maybe they could hope to compete with the Pittsburgh and New Englands to go to the SB.

The #5 pick of the draft gives them an amazing opportunity to start. So, unless there's a QB that Elway is convinced will be there at #5 who will turn out to be a SB caliber QB (not sure at this point), then take a Nelson, or Chubb, or Minkah Fitzpatrick, or whoever the best player on the board is regardless of position.

Drafting for need is how the Broncos got into this talent deficit in the first place.

"We need a QB! Gotta get a QB! Who's the best QB we can draft? Hmmn. OK, Paxton Lynch isn't as good as Goff or Carson Wentz, but he could be there at #26 so let's take him."

Moral of the story: If you are not sure that a QB is an elite prospect, then don't draft him in the first round.
    Reality of the story: If you can’t be patient don’t draft QB’s period. Then you’re stuck with the Case Ruettiger’s of the NFL.

Watch how fast ya’ll turn on this dude when he’s not a “dominant franchise QB”, as some seem to think.

Btw, you’re making the same idiotic argument Tebowfags were making for him; build a great team and THEN worry about the QB position. It was stupid then and it’s stupid now.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Reality of the story: If you can’t be patient don’t draft QB’s period. Then you’re stuck with the Case Ruettiger’s of the NFL.

Watch how fast ya’ll turn on this dude when he’s not a “dominant franchise QB”, as some seem to think.

Btw, you’re making the same idiotic argument Tebowfags were making for him; build a great team and THEN worry about the QB position. It was stupid then and it’s stupid now.
    Why don't you tell all of us why Luck has never been to a SB, why Cousins did not win as many games as CK last year, why Rodgers has not been to a SB since 2010, and why Brees's teams had a hard time making it to the playoffs, even though he was a very productive QB. Ohhhhh, is it because of the teams around them?

I know it seems like a nightmare to this day for you, but Tebow actually won here. Yeah, he did. I know you do not count it, and they won in spite of him. Of course, you just keep clinging to it.

You still cry about not paying Cousins all of that money and so many of you actually thought Elway was going to do that.

Peter King's MMQB

Quote:
    Denver? The Broncos didn’t make an offer. This went to McCartney’s reason for making this a silent auction: Denver liked Keenum, didn’t want to pay in the neighborhood of $30 million a year guaranteed for a quarterback with so many other prominent players to pay. It came down to this for John Elway: Keenum for $10 million to $12 million per year less than Cousins, and the Broncos knew near the start of the legal tampering period they could get Keenum. Ten hours into the period, Denver had reached agreement with Keenum on a two-year, $36 million guaranteed deal.

McCartney understood Elway’s approach—Elway didn’t want to be left at the altar. McCartney did think, What harm would it do to make an offer? But Elway liked Keenum a lot, and felt he couldn’t wait until Thursday or Friday to see if he’d get Cousins.

There are many ignorant Broncos fans.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

I hope Case plays amazing just to watch you fight it all year.

6. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

I hated Tebow from day 1 because of all the circus, the idiot women showing up to Broncos practices wearing bridal dresses, all the drama that had nothing to do with football - and I never thought he would be a great NFL QB because he would throw the ball 15 yards away from his target.

Case Keenum is a highly accurate QB whose team never supported him, never wanted him to start and were actually embarrassed when he was successful because they had other plans Sam Bradford was supposed to be their Franchise QB after Teddy Bridgewater got hurt.

The Vikings gave up a first-round pick in 2017 and a fourth-round pick in 2018 that became a third rounder -- "a massive price to pay for what could amount to one season of work. The Eagles paid $11 million of Bradford's salary as part of the deal, which means Minnesota will only be on the hook for $7 million in 2016, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport."

So, Plan A was Bradford, until Bridgewater could become completely healthy - which he never really did. So Keenum was Plan C and yet he performed at a high level.

In short, Keenum was Trevor Siemian - if Trevor Siemian had never gotten hurt and continued to play at a high level for an entire season. Is he an elite QB like Andrew Luck or Tom Brady or Drew Brees? No. And he doesn't cost $27m a year like Cousins either.

The brutal fact of life is that the Broncos are either going to have to surrender multiple high round picks to move up in the draft and take a chance on Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield being the right fit, or else pay a crippling salary to a FA like Cousins.

Or they could give Case Keenum a tryout. If he works out, great! Elway re-negotiates a long term deal and the Broncos have their franchise QB.

If not, then they are probably back in the top 10 anyway and in the meantime they have strengthened the rest of the team which they desperately need to do anyway if they are ever to compete for the division, let alone the SB.

Right now, the Broncos are the 5th worst team in the NFL. They need almost everything. They just paid Keenum a $25m guaranteed contract. Now you want them to draft a QB at #5 who won't play in year one, or else give up a boat-load of picks to move up to #4 just to grab Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield?

Fortunately Elway isn't going to do that. He's going to take a star player like Nelson or else trade back and get extra picks and draft two or 3 position players who will be immediate day 1 impact starters. If they do this successfully, they will immediately compete for the division title THIS year.

8. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

BTW: Elway can't afford to "just be patient". Take a look at the top 4 teams in the NFL draft:

The Browns fired their GM and almost fired their coach. The Giants fired their coach and GM last year, and the Colts fired their GM too. That's what happens normally when teams go 5-11 or worse. Joe Ellis led off the Broncos end of season press conference for a reason, and that reason was to announce to the world that HE, not John Elway is actually CEO of this organization. The implication is clear. Ellis owes a duty of loyalty as fiduciary to the Bowlen Family Trust, not John Elway.

If Elway continues to fail, continues to "swing and miss" as he put it, in the draft, the team will be last place in the AFC West for the next few years, and then he and the Broncos will "agree to part ways" in a couple of years. Just like the GMs of other teams that fail. He's not immune.

He has to turn this team around THIS year and not next. So, that's exactly what he's doing. He got a potential franchise QB, who didn't cost too much, and has 10 picks in this year's draft. He needs to hit on those picks of course.

If he does, then fine. The Broncos start winning the AFC West. If not, then the next GM will have to start over.

10. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

I hated Tebow from day 1 because of all the circus, the idiot women showing up to Broncos practices wearing bridal dresses, all the drama that had nothing to do with football - and I never thought he would be a great NFL QB because he would throw the ball 15 yards away from his target.

Case Keenum is a highly accurate QB whose team never supported him, never wanted him to start and were actually embarrassed when he was successful because they had other plans Sam Bradford was supposed to be their Franchise QB after Teddy Bridgewater got hurt.

The Vikings gave up a first-round pick in 2017 and a fourth-round pick in 2018 that became a third rounder -- "a massive price to pay for what could amount to one season of work. The Eagles paid $11 million of Bradford's salary as part of the deal, which means Minnesota will only be on the hook for $7 million in 2016, according to NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport."

So, Plan A was Bradford, until Bridgewater could become completely healthy - which he never really did. So Keenum was Plan C and yet he performed at a high level.

In short, Keenum was Trevor Siemian - if Trevor Siemian had never gotten hurt and continued to play at a high level for an entire season. Is he an elite QB like Andrew Luck or Tom Brady or Drew Brees? No. And he doesn't cost $27m a year like Cousins either.

The brutal fact of life is that the Broncos are either going to have to surrender multiple high round picks to move up in the draft and take a chance on Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield being the right fit, or else pay a crippling salary to a FA like Cousins.

Or they could give Case Keenum a tryout. If he works out, great! Elway re-negotiates a long term deal and the Broncos have their franchise QB.

If not, then they are probably back in the top 10 anyway and in the meantime they have strengthened the rest of the team which they desperately need to do anyway if they are ever to compete for the division, let alone the SB.

Right now, the Broncos are the 5th worst team in the NFL. They need almost everything. They just paid Keenum a $25m guaranteed contract. Now you want them to draft a QB at #5 who won't play in year one, or else give up a boat-load of picks to move up to #4 just to grab Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield?

Fortunately Elway isn't going to do that. He's going to take a star player like Nelson or else trade back and get extra picks and draft two or 3 position players who will be immediate day 1 impact starters. If they do this successfully, they will immediately compete for the division title THIS year.
    For once I completely agree with a Cugel post (I even read through the whole thing...)

I think a lot of people fell in love with the idea of Kirk Cousins, and see Keenum as the plain looking sister at the dance when everybody wants the hot sister. Only that hot sister is going to spend your entire paycheck and in the cold light of morning, she's not really all that hot. Hotter than her sister, yes, but on a scale of 1 to Jessica Alba, not all that.

Others fell in love with the IDEA of drafting a rookie QB even though nearly 1/2 of all QBs taken in the top 5 are busts, along with the overwhelming majority of QBs taken in the later rounds.

Well Broncos fans, you are just going to have to get used to dating the nice sister with a bit of a muffin-top!

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

My god sometimes this board is unbearable.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

I think a lot of people fell in love with the idea of Kirk Cousins, and see Keenum as the plain looking sister at the dance when everybody wants the hot sister. Only that hot sister is going to spend your entire paycheck and in the cold light of morning, she's not really all that hot. Hotter than her sister, yes, but on a scale of 1 to Jessica Alba, not all that.

Others fell in love with the IDEA of drafting a rookie QB even though nearly 1/2 of all QBs taken in the top 5 are busts, along with the overwhelming majority of QBs taken in the later rounds.

Well Broncos fans, you are just going to have to get used to dating the nice sister with a bit of a muffin-top!
    I like a little meat on the bones personally.

I was all aboard the Cousins train, I feel like we did the right thing by avoiding him. It was a disaster in the making.

Is Commander Keenum a sexy pick? Not really. Is he a long term solution? Maybe, but most likely not. But he was basically all that is available to us. A qb in the draft isn't likely happening unless we want to reach at #5 for another Paxton Lynch, Cousins was never happening and wasn't as good of an option as originally promised so that leaves Keenum. It isn't pretty, but what other options do we have?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I like a little meat on the bones personally.

I was all aboard the Cousins train, I feel like we did the right thing by avoiding him. It was a disaster in the making.

Is Commander Keenum a sexy pick? Not really. Is he a long term solution? Maybe, but most likely not. But he was basically all that is available to us. A qb in the draft isn't likely happening unless we want to reach at #5 for another Paxton Lynch, Cousins was never happening and wasn't as good of an option as originally promised so that leaves Keenum. It isn't pretty, but what other options do we have?
    The thing to keep in mind...at least in my opinion...is that in the process of not having a shot at one of the top QB's in the draft, we will have a shot at many of the top players in the draft. I don't personally think ANY of the QB's available are top 5 overall. Whichever order you put them in, we have a shot at one of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Ward...all of which are better overall players than Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield.

17. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    The thing to keep in mind...at least in my opinion...is that in the process of not having a shot at one of the top QB's in the draft, we will have a shot at many of the top players in the draft. I don't personally think ANY of the QB's available are top 5 overall. Whichever order you put them in, we have a shot at one of Barkley, Nelson, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Ward...all of which are better overall players than Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield.
    Yep.

19. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I wholeheartedly agree. If we landed Barkley or Chubb this team would instantly be vastly better on one side of the ball or the other. On one hand, Barkley is like an LT level RB that will instantly take the pressure off our QB, on the other hand, if we get Chub, we've got Miller, Ray and Chubb eating greedy and putting pressure on opposing QBs.

If we go BPA instead of QB at #5, I don't think there is a whole lot of way we can go wrong.

I disagree about Rosen. I think he will be really good.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

If we cant get rosen I want chubb, bad!!! and then Soney Michel in rd 2....or even late rd 1.

For me, as it is now. If Rosen is gone, we move down with Buffalo and well, see my sig for the rest. Thats my ideal unless Rosen is there.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information