Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Signing Keenum Opens the Draft Vault Doors

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Default Signing Keenum Opens the Draft Vault Doors

Cousins is over.

This is a great signing actually...considering. If Cousins truly wanted three years fully guaranteed...can't we see Elway balking? Why pay a ransom then get held hostage in three years? You either wanna drive the bus or you don't.

For where the Broncos are at, Keenum has a LOT to offer. First of all, if you have watched Drew Brees career, you know getting good in the NFL at the QB position takes some time. Keenum was completing almost 70% of his passes last year.....thats a heckuva step up.

Trevor.....59% completion rate.....12 TDs 14 INTs

Keenum.....67% CR.............22 TDs 7 INTs

Whats the highside? Keenum continues to progress and becomes a stud. Lowside? He's stopgap.

Regardless, the draft vault opens with the signing.

Depending on who falls to us at 5, the Broncos doors will be open for business. We already have 6 picks in the top 4 rounds. Can anyone see Buffalo trading up? It would cost them both firsts and more.

If we have two firsts, we also will have the ammo to move back up from 21.

This is just one scenario. Arizona could desire to move up ahead of the Jets.
    Anyone in love with Baker, Allen, Rosen or Darnold would be in play.

There are a ton of possibilities now and we have the picks to play the board.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

2. The Following 6 Users High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Will Broncos still take a QB? If so...its Baker.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

4. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Signing a QB actually opens the floodgates for a trade. I can see the Bills trading both of their 1st and then some to us IF their guy falls to #5.

Part of me wants us to trade up and get Barkley. Means CJ would be gone but we do have enough ammo to actually pull something like that off. I doubt the Browns do that with #1 though and I don't see Elway giving up alot of picks.

AND still have enough to sign a DT like Poe, go get a TE or maybe even Nate Solder. Who knows but it opens up alot of scenarios for us.

Wouldn't be shocked if we don't even draft a QB until the 3rd day of the draft. All signs point to keeping Paxton and giving Kelly a legit shot at earning that #2 spot.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Will Broncos still take a QB? If so...its Baker.
    This would be fantastic. I'd be so excited if they got Mayfield. They are desperate for a guy like him. Hungry, passionate, a leader.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

I admire your optimism.

8. The Following User High Fived Dapper Dan For This Post:

If we're trading back because we have Keenum we're delaying taking a real QB. That's horrible and inexcusable.

If we signed Keenum so we could groom a QB, then we didn't learn from our mistakes with PL. You start your rookie. Benching him is inexcusable.

This was a horrible signing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

10. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Signing a QB actually opens the floodgates for a trade. I can see the Bills trading both of their 1st and then some to us IF their guy falls to #5.

Part of me wants us to trade up and get Barkley. Means CJ would be gone but we do have enough ammo to actually pull something like that off. I doubt the Browns do that with #1 though and I don't see Elway giving up alot of picks.

AND still have enough to sign a DT like Poe, go get a TE or maybe even Nate Solder. Who knows but it opens up alot of scenarios for us.

Wouldn't be shocked if we don't even draft a QB until the 3rd day of the draft. All signs point to keeping Paxton and giving Kelly a legit shot at earning that #2 spot.
    Buffalo moved up to #12 by trading LT Cordy Glenn and their #21 pick for Cincinatti's #12 pick.

According to multiple reports, the Bills have agreed to send Cordy Glenn to Cincinnati in exchange for a swap of first-round picks, moving them up to 12th from 21st, plus a fifth-round pick (158th overall) for the Bengals’ sixth-round selection (187th). That gives the Bills, who also have two picks in each of the second and third rounds, plenty of ammunition to trade up even higher in a draft expected to see a quartet of highly regarded quarterback prospects go very early.
    They have the ammo now to move up to #5 if they want. And the Broncos could want to trade back, acquire 2 first round picks, and take a T at #12 plus get another impact player at #21 and yet another impact player at #40 in the second round. If they make the right moves in the draft this could solidify the roster for years to come.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    If we're trading back because we have Keenum we're delaying taking a real QB. That's horrible and inexcusable.

If we signed Keenum so we could groom a QB, then we didn't learn from our mistakes with PL. You start your rookie. Benching him is inexcusable.

Lynch had no one to watch and truly learn from. How much can he have learned from TS? Would have been different if PFM was here when he was selected.

They bought in a guy who can start on day one and help prep Rookie A or Kelly. TS is as good as gone, and i would listen to any offer for Lynch or TS from any QB needy team.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:

Having a bunch of high draft picks excites me and scares me at the same time. On the positive side, the more high picks we have, the better chance we have of Elway getting at least one of them right. On the other hand, only ONE Elway draft pick has ever made it to a Pro Bowl...and that is the first pick he ever made.

14. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Against this argument is the following points:

Denver drafting at #5 couldn't guarantee that they would have a chance to get the QB they like even if there IS such a QB in this draft, which is not certain.

They would likely get the #3 QB off the board. Instead of reaching for a QB who might be the next bust and who is not their top prospect because their top prospect is off the board at #1 or #2, or #3 (the Colts could trade back) or #4 (the Browns are likely to want to trade back from #4 if they draft a QB #1 overall), they take the best player available.

And at #5 the best player is likely to be an All-Pro talent, possibly a Hall of Fame player. Barkely, Chubb or Quenton Nelson, or Minkah Fitzpatrick? They could have their choice at #5.

Not needing to draft a QB this off season is a great position to be in. Maximum flexibility.

16. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Against this argument is the following points:

Denver drafting at #5 couldn't guarantee that they would have a chance to get the QB they like even if there IS such a QB in this draft, which is not certain.

They would likely get the #3 QB off the board. Instead of reaching for a QB who might be the next bust and who is not their top prospect because their top prospect is off the board at #1 or #2, or #3 (the Colts could trade back) or #4 (the Browns are likely to want to trade back from #4 if they draft a QB #1 overall), they take the best player available.

And at #5 the best player is likely to be an All-Pro talent, possibly a Hall of Fame player. Barkely, Chubb or Quenton Nelson, or Minkah Fitzpatrick? They could have their choice at #5.

Not needing to draft a QB this off season is a great position to be in. Maximum flexibility.
    Against your counter argument is this - There are four big QB's. One of them will probably be there. Denver could also just trade up and get their guy, which is a move that people hate, but it can pay dividends. Teams are so wildly differing on which QB they want that we don't know which one will be there, but there's about a zero percent chance the first four picks are QB's. So, the number three QB to one team might be the fourth or first QB to another.

Missing on drafting a QB when your team will likely be 7-9/8-8 and being out of contention for a QB without having to pay even more to move up the next year is a horrid position to be in.

This was just kicking the can down the road.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

Against your counter argument is this - There are four big QB's. One of them will probably be there. Denver could also just trade up and get their guy, which is a move that people hate, but it can pay dividends. Teams are so wildly differing on which QB they want that we don't know which one will be there, but there's about a zero percent chance the first four picks are QB's. So, the number three QB to one team might be the fourth or first QB to another.

Missing on drafting a QB when your team will likely be 7-9/8-8 and being out of contention for a QB without having to pay even more to move up the next year is a horrid position to be in.

This was just kicking the can down the road.
    Complete negative speculation based purely on ONE opinion. Good grief...go kick a puppy and get it out of your system.

19. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Complete negative speculation based purely on ONE opinion. Good grief...go kick a puppy and get it out of your system.
    On one opinion? My opinion? The Pundits, many of whom are skeptical? The same opinion on just about every coach who had him that didn't make him a starter. The other FA QB needy teams who didn't sign him? The team that just had him? What concept of one are you working with?

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

If Keenum had more of a body of work than one season, I'd be fine with it. As it is, I see a guy with one year of production nearly identical to Bridgewater and Bradford, but we didn't get the HC/OC/QB coaches, we got a player. Outside of that HC/OC/QB coaching situation, it's been grim, and it's not all Jeff Fischer's fault.

We know Keenum can be solid in the right situation, with a decent offense around him and good coaching. Let's hope that's what he'll get in Denver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

22. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

On one opinion? My opinion? The Pundits, many of whom are skeptical? The same opinion on just about every coach who had him that didn't make him a starter. The other FA QB needy teams who didn't sign him? The team that just had him? What concept of one are you working with?
    I already covered all of this...I'm not typing it all again. Enjoy what is apparently the worst day of your life, bro.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information