Page 20 of 65 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos will sign Case Keenum, per Schefter

We gave a bunch of money to a QB who is average. We should have just drafted a young stud and let him play with a stronger defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    But didn't we already have that with Osweiler? I'd still rather have Talib than Keenum, if we want to draft a QB at 5.
    No, we didn't have with Osweiler what we have with Keenum. Compare their respective
    performances for last year. For those who were pounding the table for Cousins, Keenum's
    TD/INT ratio was dramatically superior to Cousins', and the rest of the stats were quite
    similar.

In fact, we still have a largely untested QB who is a superior raw athlete to any of this year's
    draft candidates in Paxton Lynch. He just needs to improve medium range accuracy (ala Josh
    Allen?), and we have yet to discover what is between Lynch's ears. Nonetheless, are any of the
    impending draftees less of a gamble? I wonder. [Bracing for flames]

​The point is, do the Broncos now have what they want?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

4. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    No, we didn't have with Osweiler what we have with Keenum. Compare their respective
    performances for last year. For those who were pounding the table for Cousins, Keenum's
    TD/INT ratio was dramatically superior to Cousins', and the rest of the stats were quite
    similar.

In fact, we still have a largely untested QB who is a superior raw athlete to any of this year's
    draft candidates in Paxton Lynch. He just needs to improve medium range accuracy (ala Josh
    Allen?), and we have yet to discover what is between Lynch's ears. Nonetheless, are any of the
    impending draftees less of a gamble? I wonder. [Bracing for flames]

​The point is, do the Broncos now have what they want?
    Which makes me think we aren't drafting a QB at 5. But if we do, and we want that kid to play... I just don't really get this move. Just my opinion of course.

You could argue that Keenum is better than Osweiler, and that might be true, but if you factor in price to performance, and the fact that Keenum is an expensive backup, then.. well... I don't get it.

So maybe the answer is that we roll with Keenum and any QB we draft is riding pine this year. We'll see.

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

The only thing we know for certain is, at this moment in time, Case Keenum is the best QB on our roster.

8. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    The only thing we know for certain is, at this moment in time, Case Keenum is the best QB on our roster.
    Not yet. There's still time to undo this.

There's still time.

There's still time.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Not yet. There's still time to undo this.

There's still time.

There's still time.
    you better send sarah connor now. . .

11. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

But didn't we already have that with Osweiler? I'd still rather have Talib than Keenum, if we want to draft a QB at 5.
    No, I don't think we did have that with Osweiler. We had quarterback that while he may have been the best quarterback on our roster at the time we got, that wasn't saying much.

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    For now. But he's better than that, actually. IIRC, Keenum was the 9th rated QB last year.
    So he was rated better than 23 other QBs. If he can keep that up, and the Broncos can
    improve their O-line and ILBs, then perhaps we have a playoff team again?
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

He's a one year wonder who sucked in the playoffs and put up game manager stats. No team ever wanted him to stick around and he eats children.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    He's a one year wonder who sucked in the playoffs and put up game manager stats. No team ever wanted him to stick around and he eats children.
    I get the first comment, but the second comment might be just a wee bit to far.

17. The Following User High Fived TXBRONC For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post
    No, I don't think we did have that with Osweiler. We had quarterback that while he may have been the best quarterback on our roster at the time we got, that wasn't saying much.
    I guess I'd argue that it's still not saying much. He had a great year last year. He's had more bad years than good ones. There's a reason he went undrafted, Minnesota let him walk, and this will be his 4th team.

I'm not saying that he isn't an upgrade, but that margin is pretty thin.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

For now. But he's better than that, actually. IIRC, Keenum was the 9th rated QB last year.
    So he was rated better than 23 other QBs. If he can keep that up, and the Broncos can
    improve their O-line and ILBs, then perhaps we have a playoff team again?
    Maybe, but that still means he's the best qb on our roster. We are getting better at the most important position.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I guess I'd argue that it's still not saying much. He had a great year last year. He's had more bad years than good ones. There's a reason he went undrafted, Minnesota let him walk, and this will be his 4th team.

I'm not saying that he isn't an upgrade, but that margin is pretty thin.
    That margin is not thin. I'm not claiming he's Tom Brady, but he's much better than what we had last year.

For those who were pounding the table for Cousins, Keenum's
    similar.
    I'm not up in arms over Keenum being signed but the Cousins comparison isn't a good one. The Vikings had the #1 defense and #7 rushing attack last season. Cousins had very little help in Washington. And it's been reported the Vikings studied a lot of film evaluating Cousins vs. Keenum and apparently concluded "there was no comparison" between the QBs. ~$30M for Cousins was a no-brainer to them if ~20M was going to be where Keenum was priced at. Not that encouraging.

Which stinks - because it seems like if Bridgewater wasn't demanding $10M+ a season the Vikings would have signed him and maybe Cousins would have been more in play for the Broncos.

For now it seems like Keenum needs a near-elite running game to be successful - and it looks like the RB1 is going to be Booker.
    Last edited by tomjonesrocks; 03-13-2018 at 09:42 PM.

22. The Following User High Fived tomjonesrocks For This Post:

ESPN Golic & Wingo: "It's pretty clear that the signs that John Elway was getting from the Kirk Cousins camp was 'we're not going to go there'.

But who was the better QB?

A: Well obviously, Kirk Cousins has put together 3 better seasons than Case Keenum, but you can make a very compelling argument that last year Case played better than Kirk Cousins.

Q: That's what I'm saying!

A: You can absolutely say that. The question is not what he did last year, but do you believe he can do that again. And if you do believe that Case Keenum can do that again, given that you do have offensive line issues, and you just got rid of Aqib Talib, your CB that you traded to the Rams, and they have Bradley Roby there who is a very good player, so do you think it's better to get Case Keenum at $18 million and have another $12m to spend or go all in on Kirk Cousins?"

Chris Canty: I think it's better to get Case Keenum, and have the money to spend in FA and oh, BTW that frees up the #5 pick of the draft to help you to continue to address problems like the fact that you traded Aqib Talib, and got Ron Leary from the Cowboys last year to help address that OL, and you got Garrett Bolles last year - so you can continue to strengthen that OL.
    I basically agree with this.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information