Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos will sign Case Keenum, per Schefter

Or maybe he doesn't know what the hell he's doing anymore

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

I'm actually ok with this as comically typical it is of the Broncos. I prefer it to getting Cousins. I think Keenum is lame and the season will suck, but draft wise this means we can save the QB pick until late in the first round when we can get Mason Rudolph.

Elway will probably pick that manchild from OU though. I say get OL or trade back to get a olineman and a QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

I like this. Its a bridge signing of a guy on the upside of his career. Gives us good flexibility to build this team the right way. Contract probably wont be expensive or long.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Lotta Debbie downers up in dis bitch.
    Doctor: you have aids
    Patient: yay!

But actually, I'm warming up to it. Definitely no longer butthurt and emo. Case is a fighter, so I got his back. Team needs a QB while an Allen/Darnold etc. matures. Draft day Broncos operate from position of strength and flexibility.

We ride...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    DT you will be missed

Keenum reminds me a bit of McCown keeps getting better the longer he stays in the league. I Don't think a wild card or playoff berth with him is out of reach as long as we fix the OL.
    Denver's 2024 George Paton Draft/FA plan

Draft
    RD1- TE Brock Bowers, GA
    RD3- QB Spencer Rattler, SC
    RD4- CB Josh Newton, TCU
    RD5- S Reggie Pearson, OK
    RD5- C Michael Jurgens, Wake Forest
    RD6- K Jonah Dalmas, Boise St

FA
    1. With what money

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    His own mother thought he was overpaid.
    Stop making me like the guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Sort of feel like Elway panicked with Cousins. He should of waited it out.
    According to Adam Schefter everybody knew that Cousins would go with either the best team or the best money. Well, Denver was neither.

The Jets are all set to blow the market away by fully guaranteeing Cousin's contract (they deny it but they will have to do that if they want Cousins).

And the Vikings offer the best team with the best chance to win now (11-3 and NFC Championship Game versus 5-11 and no offensive talent at all outside ageing DT and Sanders).

So, even if Denver went all in on Cousins, they probably don't land him, (according to Schefter) and by the time Cousins gets through his tour and decides, Keenum might have signed elsewhere. Now you're down to what? Teddy Bridgewater and his gimpy knee or Sam Bradford who's just gimpy period?

According to Schefter Keenum's deal is expected to be somewhere around HALF of what Cousins will get. So, they cut Talib, save $12m, sign Keenum.

It's a simple equation: Nate Solder + Keenum > Cousins. (Although the Browns might price them out of the market).

Now they have the money to go after Solder, put him in at LT, move Bolles to RT, draft G Nelson at #5, and move Ron Leary back to his natural LG position. Their OL next season could be really good, which would give Keenum a chance to be as good as he was in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Stop making me like the guy!
    Don't worry, when you see him play and realize that his existence on the team is antithetical to roster building you'll hate him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    According to Adam Schefter everybody knew that Cousins would go with either the best team or the best money. Well, Denver was neither.

The Jets are all set to blow the market away by fully guaranteeing Cousin's contract (they deny it but they will have to do that if they want Cousins).

And the Vikings offer the best team with the best chance to win now (11-3 and NFC Championship Game versus 5-11 and no offensive talent at all outside ageing DT and Sanders).

So, even if Denver went all in on Cousins, they probably don't land him, (according to Schefter) and by the time Cousins gets through his tour and decides, Keenum might have signed elsewhere. Now you're down to what? Teddy Bridgewater and his gimpy knee or Sam Bradford who's just gimpy period?

According to Schefter Keenum's deal is expected to be somewhere around HALF of what Cousins will get. So, they cut Talib, save $12m, sign Keenum.

It's a simple equation: Nate Solder + Keenum > Cousins. (Although the Browns might price them out of the market).

Now they have the money to go after Solder, put him in at LT, move Bolles to RT, draft G Nelson at #5, and move Ron Leary back to his natural LG position. Their OL next season could be really good, which would give Keenum a chance to be as good as he was in 2017.
    I still don't understand why people are so quick to take a player that is still pretty green at the LT position and ask him to forget everything he's learned, change his footwork and mentality and move to the other side of the line. Smarter and more cap friendly move would be looking at a guy like Chris Hubbard to come in and lock down RT. No, Bolles isn't the world's greatest LT, but he could be worse at RT.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

The shadow of Pikes Peak (aka the lee of the stone)
    Adopted Bronco:
    Wesley Woodyard

I'm fine with Keenum as a short-term lease with an option to buy if it works out. Better that than 2 years of trying to make Siemian more than a backup or Lynch more than a tree stump by starting them 16 games a year. Denver has a lot of needs and a lot of draft picks to address those needs. It lets the Broncos avoid drafting a QB with their top-5 pick if they should so choose... and I hope they so choose.

This draft is very important to Denver. I would love for them to find their QB, but I would also love for them to replenish their depleted stock at several positions and get an OL that they can both run and pass behind. If Keenum helps them focus their draft on other positions instead of burning capital to move up (again) for a guy who isn't the answer, that's all right with me.

Maybe I'm just not sold enough on any one QB in this draft, though.
    "Dream as if you will live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
    -- James Dean

My novels Mason's Order and its sequel Mason's Pledge are now available at Amazon in both paperback and kindle versions.

This gives Denver tremendous flexibility in the draft. They could take a QB at #5 if one falls they love. The Keenum deal is likely to be 2 years guaranteed.

If they want they take G Nelson at #5 and get a potential Hall of Fame G to strengthen their OL. That guy is a beast by all reports. He just plants people on their backs consistently. And he's mean.

Or, they could trade back with the Bills who just moved up to #12 and want to move higher to draft a QB. In that case they might get a T like McGlinchy or Orlando Brown.

Or Barkley or Chubb or Minkah Fitzpatrick could fall to them and they get a Pro-Bowl caliber impact player.

In short, with this move the Broncos roster is set to be much better in 2018 than it was last year. Whether that translates into a division title and playoff wins is another question, but it is definitely stronger.

With a realistically 2 year guarantee, the Broncos could get out of the deal after the 2019 season if they wanted to, or if Paxton Lynch(Ha!) or Chad Kelly ever develop into a star Qb. And if Keenum plays like he did in 2017 they get a top 10 QB (although not top 5 elite QB).

Question of the day from Adam Schefter: "Is Kirk Cousins worth $10m a year more than Case Keenum?" That was the question the Broncos had to answer.

If the reports that the Broncos were never all in on Cousins are accurate, then that could be the reason too. Paying him $30m a year would handicap them too much in getting the rest of their roster fixed. I don't necessarily buy that but it could be their thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    I still don't understand why people are so quick to take a player that is still pretty green at the LT position and ask him to forget everything he's learned, change his footwork and mentality and move to the other side of the line. Smarter and more cap friendly move would be looking at a guy like Chris Hubbard to come in and lock down RT. No, Bolles isn't the world's greatest LT, but he could be worse at RT.
    He's unlikely to be worse after a year's experience in the NFL. But Nate Solder is an elite LT and Bolles isn't.

So, if they signed Solder (or another veteran LT) and paid them $12m a year, they are NOT going to move that veteran to RT so that Bolles can continue to be mediocre at the most important position on the offense outside of QB.

Look at how effective Ryan Ramcyck was for the Saints last year. Was he really that much better than Bolles (i.e. the Broncos blew it in the draft) or was he simply better because he was put in at RT on a team that had some talent around him, especially at QB?

If the Browns offer Nate Solder $15m a year or something (they have the cap room to do it) then it becomes less likely the Broncos sign him. In that case they might just move back in the draft and get a T there. Or they might sign another FA LT.

Either way, moving Bolles to RT might actually help him if he had the entire off-season to prepare. Yes, it's a transition, but that is a question of reps.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-13-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Pretty much all his highlights are in one season and occurred with a team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Pretty much all his highlights are in one season and occurred with a team that couldn't wait to get rid of him.
    You shut your whore mouth! He's our new QB. Embrace him. Love him.

PS - that's 26 minutes of one season. Our past QB's would have around 5 minutes of highlights over the past 2 years.

17. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information