Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Mike Mayock talks about Chad Kelly and draft

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Dude literally said 1st day of draft.

Which = First round of draft.
    Paxton Lynch WAS drafted in the first round. Just sayin!
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    Paxton Lynch WAS drafted in the first round. Just sayin!
    And he was a much better prospect than Kelly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    And he was a much better prospect than Kelly.
    I disagree.

I was very against Lynch and drafting Lynch. I was however, very for drafting Kelly.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I disagree.

I was very against Lynch and drafting Lynch. I was however, very for drafting Kelly.
    If Kelly was a truly top notch talent Mayock wouldn't be saying he might have been anything less than a first rounder. And to be honest, I hope he does well for us. Ryan Mallet was drafted higher than Kelly. Ryan. *******. Mallet.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

If Kelly was a truly top notch talent Mayock wouldn't be saying he might have been anything less than a first rounder. And to be honest, I hope he does well for us. Ryan Mallet was drafted higher than Kelly. Ryan. *******. Mallet.

I had us taking Kelly in the 3rd. I like him more than Darnold in this years draft and of course infinitely better than Allen.

I also firmly believe one reason why they want cousins and will land cousins is they feel like they have something with Kelly. Cousins is going to get a 3-4 deal max. LIkely a 3 with a 4th option and HIGH guaranteed money. This is what Elway wants, get Kirk and get back into the thick of things and if, IF, kelly pans out then they have their new heir, while using picks to build the team. If not, Kelly is too risky to put the chips in on him so they must go for Rosen or Baker.

I can see, with coaching (here or elsewhere) Kelly being on the level of a Winston or a cousins. He has tons and tons of tools to work with and most of his major weaknesses are all off the field crap. He reads the D well, he has a strong arm, he is mobile enough, he is pretty accurate, he is a good leader. There is a lot to work with there. He is like a Lynch, lots of tools. Hopefully, that is where the Lynch ends and Kelly begins with not sucking, being a dumbass etc etc etc
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

this is all nonsense. . . if you're that good, some team will take you regardless of any concerns. . . there are plenty of teams that don't care about character at all (raiders, cowboys, patriots, bengals). . . gareon conley was accused of freaking rape and still went in the first round. . . everybody knew jaylon smith would need a redshirt season, and might never be the same player-- dallas spent a high second on him anyway. . . look at willis mcgahee and frank gore. . . if teams thought kelly was a first round talent, somebody would have taken him by the third at the latest. . . nobody lets a franchise quarterback slide past them just because he got in a fight. . .

i will say it again. . . if he has such high value, let's trade him and get a lot back. . .

8. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    this is all nonsense. . . if you're that good, some team will take you regardless of any concerns. . . there are plenty of teams that don't care about character at all (raiders, cowboys, patriots, bengals). . . gareon conley was accused of freaking rape and still went in the first round. . . everybody knew jaylon smith would need a redshirt season, and might never be the same player-- dallas spent a high second on him anyway. . . look at willis mcgahee and frank gore. . . if teams thought kelly was a first round talent, somebody would have taken him by the third at the latest. . . nobody lets a franchise quarterback slide past them just because he got in a fight. . .

i will say it again. . . if he has such high value, let's trade him and get a lot back. . .

Excellent points.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

You don't get to misrepresent what an analyst said to pump up your boy.

Warhorse, if you take mental ability into account, Kelly cannot touch Mr. UCLA.

Well what mental ability does it take to light up Alabama like your stepchild? Florida? Florida State? Georgia? Auburn? The entire SEC?

Not to mention his rushing ability...Kelly can run....Rosen is a frozen turd in concrete when it comes to mobility.

Rosen has his issues as well when it comes to leadership. People are calling him a spoiled brat.

If we draft Rosen, let me be the first to say fire John Elway.....but I know he won't. It will be Mayfield or Allen imo if they are still on the board and we dont sign someone in free agency.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

He's that good when it comes to play.....that is not disputable.

Its the attitude he got dinged for. Childishness.

Clemson coaches ate him up for sure. I cant speak for Ole Miss cause they kept playing him.
    The issues he had off the field Im not that concerned about. Drunk dont count and his little brother was at the bottom of a pile in a fray.
    I would have done the same thing.

No one is anointing him, he has to make attitude changes....but guess what? This isnt the hardest thing in the world.

As we are saying, we are talking talent and ability. Let one person on this board help us understand why he is not a stud when it comes to his college record.

No one in this years draft even comes close to playing big against big time players.

Thats all we're pointing out.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    He's that good when it comes to play.....that is not disputable.

Its the attitude he got dinged for. Childishness.

Clemson coaches ate him up for sure. I cant speak for Ole Miss cause they kept playing him.
    The issues he had off the field Im not that concerned about. Drunk dont count and his little brother was at the bottom of a pile in a fray.
    I would have done the same thing.

No one is anointing him, he has to make attitude changes....but guess what? This isnt the hardest thing in the world.

As we are saying, we are talking talent and ability. Let one person on this board help us understand why he is not a stud when it comes to his college record.

No one in this years draft even comes close to playing big against big time players.

Thats all we're pointing out.
    It's not just childishness. As Fish pointed out, pure top talents get drafted highly. And the fact that Mayock, one of those evaluation guys, wouldn't give him a hard first round grade speaks volumes.

And that's taking into account his talent and ability. The quote from Mayock is something I laid out. I'll paraphrase it again: Were it not for his issues (health and off the field and character issues) he would have been a first or second day pick. Second day pick QB's aren't exactly throw aways, that's not the point. The point is that we're often overstating his collegiate record. Did anyone hear a scout go "He has issues, but he compares to Manning, Luck, Newton, Marino?' No. If he was a god tier talent he would have been drafted, and we know this because this is the NFL.

The Broncos didn't stumble into an elite talent in the seventh round at QB. Again, Ryan Mallet was taken before the fourth, and they thought he might have been smoking things other than pot.

13. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WARHORSE View Post
    Well what mental ability does it take to light up Alabama like your stepchild? Florida? Florida State? Georgia? Auburn? The entire SEC?

Not to mention his rushing ability...Kelly can run....Rosen is a frozen turd in concrete when it comes to mobility.

Rosen has his issues as well when it comes to leadership. People are calling him a spoiled brat.

If we draft Rosen, let me be the first to say fire John Elway.....but I know he won't. It will be Mayfield or Allen imo if they are still on the board and we dont sign someone in free agency.
    You mean like Tim Tebow? Anyone want to talk to me about his mental ability? Or Manziel? Hmm? In fact, a mobile big play QB is probably the best way to light up a dominant college team because they can't scheme away your physical ability.

And yeah, SOME people are calling him a spoiled brat. And yet that brat led his team to success, a team that wasn't exactly oozing with talent, and could be doing a million other things in life and chooses to play football. And to be honest, most of the spoiled brat talk comes from people upset that Rosen isn't a drone and had the audacity to let some of his opinions be known. So what? He's an *******. Good. Find me a couple HoF QB's who weren't, please.

And so what that he's immobile? He needs to learn to slide in the pocket and step up. You know, that same type of 'mobility' that worked so well for Manning, Brees, Brady, Marino, et al.

Kelly is a film hound, apparently, and that's one thing in his favor. But he's not the mind that Rosen is, and that information is readily available.

If we draft Rosen and you say fire Elway that's an opinion that you're entitled too.

15. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneFalco View Post
    Dude literally said 1st day of draft.

Which = First round of draft.
    And lots of other commenters have pointed out that teams will take a QB with a mid round pick if they think he's got potential but has character concerns.

Basically this is true: "The NFL would say Hannibal Lechter had an eating disorder if he could rush the passer."

Chad Kelly was like a lot of marginal players. NO NFL GM actually agreed with Mayock that Kelly has first round talent, or they would have taken him before the last pick of the draft.

Money talks and B.S. Walks. He's the longest of long-shots. One expert called him "the new Bradley Van Pelt." Same over hype we had to listen to when Van Pelt was drafted. "Why aren't they playing Van Pelt? Did you see that TD he scored in that meaningless pre-season game?" Blah, blah, blah.

More pointless threads will be spawned. More nonsense about his "potential."

If anything comes of Chad Kelly long term it will be like winning at roulette, except that your odds are better at roulette.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    I disagree.

If you toss out the character concerns into injuries going into the draft he most certainly would have been a first-round pick.

Not certain according to Mayock, one of the best in the business, and the guy this thread cited to. First rounder? Maybe, I would even say probably.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Hall of Famer Bill polian who put together a couple pretty good rosters touted Kelly as being immensely talented. And also stated that he was far more talented than Lynch or Simeon..

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information