Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Broncos Advantage In Cousins Sweepsteaks vs. the Vikings?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Apparently its going to be announced today that the Broncos and Cardinals are out of the Cousins sweepstakes. I hope its wrong but that was what i was hearing last night that was going to be confirmed today.

https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2018...-vikings-jets/
    I'm perfectly OK with this...if indeed it does happen.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

I know teams can't talk with Cousins directly for another week or so, but can they be talking with his agent?

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I know teams can't talk with Cousins directly for another week or so, but can they be talking with his agent?
    Officially...no.

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

For us, yes... if we’re talking to him about Siemian (same agent).

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

7. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Thanks guys.

Wondering how they could come to the conclusion that it's down to the Vikings and Jets then.

Adopted Bronco:

Thanks guys.

Wondering how they could come to the conclusion that it's down to the Vikings and Jets then.
    Could be a lot of reasons. Maybe the agent or someone close to him leaked info...maybe simply a vibe...maybe a writer creating a story...maybe assumption that of the teams interested, Vikings can offer money and winning team and Jets can offer a ton of money. Who knows until next week.

Kirk Cousins free-agency sweepstakes will come down to the Jets and Vikings
    Free-agent quarterback will take his time making his final decision

In the end, two teams, at most, will have a true opportunity to land Kirk Cousins.

And based on everything I heard last week at the combine I anticipate those teams being the New York Jets and the Minnesota Vikings. Cousins seems committed to wanting to step foot in his new team headquarters and get a feel for the place before making a six-year, $180M decision (or thereabouts) and given the nature of how this negotiation will transpire, that's going to eliminate some of his potential suitors really before the new league year and full blown free agency even begins.

. . . . By its very nature, the reality of either spending roughly $30M per year on a quarterback will dictate myriad other potential transactions that follow, both for the team paying him and for those still in need of a veteran quarterback when he signs elsewhere, so let's just play this out.

I've talked to numerous people involved in this process on all sides, and while the Cardinals, Broncos, Vikings and Jets have all made it clear they want to be in this thing to the end, no one on any of those teams or close to Cousins believes it makes any sense that he actually makes three or four visits. This is all happening in real time, for the player and those teams, and this is not a negotiating vacuum. At the same time Cousins is making his tour, Case Keenum, who several of these teams also are very high on, will be making his decision and so will less-sought after quarterbacks like AJ McCarron and Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater – all who have the potential to be starting somewhere next season. To say nothing of Tyrod Taylor, who other teams still anticipate the Bills trading or releasing before his $6M roster bonus is due in a few weeks.

. . . .

the Vikings offer the best roster available, the team with the most recent playoff success and the clearest linear path to postseason glory. Never discredit the impact of that in a situation like this as well. Unless they end up landing Keenum previously at their price, I suspect the Vikings see this thing out and their presentation is attractive enough to want to see through from Cousins' standpoint as well. The Cardinals just hired a rookie head coach and face difficult roster decisions at other positions and don't have nearly the cap flexibility as other suitors, and the Broncos may be trending more to a rebuild than contention and came this close to firing their rookie head coach after last season.
    The Broncos with Cousins are not contending for a SB in year one, but in year two? If they solve some problems, yes. They are certainly a lot closer than the Jets with a lot of elite defensive players still on the roster and few actual holes.

Offensively, they need a RT and RG, they need a TE and 3rd WR. So, realistically, they are 4 offensive players and maybe 3 defensive starters away.

But, none of that is much beyond the average turnover in the NFL season to season. Even the Vikings will probably change over some of their roster this off-season. Five or 6 new starters on offense and defense is about normal each year.

So, I don't necessarily believe all these reports. It's more likely that word is filtering out that Elway might not be willing to equal the Jets offer in terms of up front money (reportedly up to $50m).

If that were the case Cousins could have a choice of "do I take the most money or do I accept less money and go to the best team that is ready to win right now?" And those choices would be the Jets versus the Vikings.

If it has to be one of those teams I certainly hope it is the Jets. That way they aren't competing with the Broncos to draft a QB and trying to leap ahead of them in the draft or something.

But, it then means that the Broncos are competing for Case Keenum or Sam Bradford or signing Tyrod Taylor and drafting a QB and sucking for another 2 years.

11. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Yay, Case Keenum, the Rudy Rudeger of the NFL.

#KubiakThangs

We’re screwed!
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

13. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Yay, Case Keenum, the Rudy Rudeger of the NFL.

#KubiakThangs

We’re screwed!
    I’ll bet we could find a 2 fer 1 deal on Seattle MLS jerseys on the interwebs

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    I’ll bet we could find a 2 fer 1 deal on Seattle MLS jerseys on the interwebs
    What’s MLS?
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Man if we don't get Cousins or Rosen I'm going to be a sad ass dude in a sad ass mood.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Man if we don't get Cousins or Rosen I'm going to be a sad ass dude in a sad ass mood.
    There’s still Chad Swiggy.
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    6th round— Cash Jones RB

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    To be honest if we don't get Cousins I'll be sad. I don't think he is a top 5 QB but he is definitely top 10 and if we want to win now then he should be a no brainer. Draft someone else besides a QB.

With whatever we have left then go get Jimmy Graham at TE. Maybe trade up to get Barkley if the Browns dont take him #1 overall. Obviously this means getting rid of CJ and Talib. But our offense would be on another level.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

20. The Following User High Fived DenBronx For This Post:

There’s still Chad Swiggy.
    Oh joy.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

22. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Randy Gradishar Steve Atwater

If I've learned anything in the years I've been following the NFL it's that you can't believe ANYTHING the media or teams are saying at this point. A lot of smoke and mirrors, it's part of the game all teams play by. My personal hope is that we go for AJM over Cousins IF they opt to add a QB in free agency.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information