Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ron Leary needs to be back at left guard

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Default Ron Leary needs to be back at left guard

I read that our Genius Coaching staff is trying decide whether to move Ronald Leary back to his best natural position. Wow great to catch on to that after the season guys. We threw a young rookie who was obviously going to go through ups and downs out next to Max Garcia instead of our Pro Bowl left guard. It was one of the dumbest things that the staff did last year. Oh and while we're at it let's move Watson to Right Guard so you can play in a phone booth draft and draft or
    r sign another guard draft or sign a solid right tackle and call it good for this offseason.

Broncos Insider Troy Renk asked VJ about this and later said on the radio to Mark Schlereth that "of course this needs to happen."

Everybody on the face of the earth knows this shit. Hopefully VJ realizes his mistake and is just refusing publicly to announce any of their plans out of normal coach-speak.

If they kept Leary at RG that would be a more than usually stupid move that I will assume (for now) won't happen.

The reason last year they had Leary move to RG is because Max Garcia "wasn't comfortable" playing RG. So, they asked Leary to move to a new position! To accommodate Max freakin' Garcia - who doesn't even deserve a roster spot this season!

Why his inability should be a major consideration this season is an un-answered question.

But, in the absence of watching Leary line up at RG in the first pre-season game or at least training camp I will assume for the purposes of sanity that particular experiment won't be repeated.

If they kept Leary at RG this June would be an early indication that VJ has really learned nothing from last season's debacle and will soon be unemployed. Hopefully that doesn't happen though. They tried it only because of a need to have Garcia in the lineup at RG.

It didn't work out. Everybody and his sister has been talking this off-season as though it was a foregone conclusion that they would move Leary back to LG and find a new RG not named "Max Garcia."

They even moved Connor McGovern to G last year in the later season. He didn't completely suck at it either so the obvious move if they don't sign somebody at RG would be to move McGovern to RG and Leary to left.

Adopted Bronco:

If Leary is at RG this season, it should only be because we drafted Nelson or Hernandez.

5. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    If they kept Leary at RG this June would be an early indication that VJ has really learned nothing from last season's debacle and will soon be unemployed. Hopefully that doesn't happen though. They tried it only because of a need to have Garcia in the lineup at RG.

It didn't work out. Everybody and his sister has been talking this off-season as though it was a foregone conclusion that they would move Leary back to LG and find a new RG not named "Max Garcia."

They even moved Connor McGovern to G last year in the later season. He didn't completely suck at it either so the obvious move if they don't sign somebody at RG would be to move McGovern to RG and Leary to left.
    McGovern actually played really well IMO. Which is why I think if we move Leary back to LG, McG to RG, we're a RT away from fixing the line. People want to act like this line is just awful, we are actually a lot closer than most think.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post

McGovern actually played really well IMO. Which is why I think if we move Leary back to LG, McG to RG, we're a RT away from fixing the line. People want to act like this line is just awful, we are actually a lot closer than most think.
    I really would like to see us draft somebody that can play multiple positions well. Nelson is obvious, but Johns talking now about trading back and obviously that hinges on what we do with Kirk Cousins. Nelson Has line positional flexibility Rankin has line positional flexibility I think ragnow and Isaiah Wynn also have positional flexibility.

We should sign Pugh and that would allow for Leary to go wherever. Mostly because Pugh can go wherever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    We should sign Pugh and that would allow for Leary to go wherever. Mostly because Pugh can go wherever.
    i like him but he will cost too much. Ragnow, wynn, rankin and daniels offer positional flexibilty on the cheap and one or more of them should be available in the third round.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

but I know you and I are looking at this from opposite ends of the spectrum. Because I want cousins or Keenum and all your projections will be based on drafting Rosen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    but I know you and I are looking at this from opposite ends of the spectrum. Because I want cousins or Keenum and all your projections will be based on drafting Rosen.
    I'm not opposed to getting Kirk Cousins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I'm not opposed to getting Kirk Cousins.
    It's going to be really weird in 2018. Because chances are, in 2018, you and I will be in agreement about QB's.

13. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    If Leary is at RG this season, it should only be because we drafted Nelson or Hernandez.
    Nelson said he is equally comfortable at right or left guard. So if he joins the Broncos, Leary will likely be back at LG.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    Nelson said he is equally comfortable at right or left guard. So if he joins the Broncos, Leary will likely be back at LG.
    But, that wouldn't solve the big problem on the line, RT (or LT if they move Bolles over to RT as some people suggest he needs to do). He might turn out to be a better RT than LT. After his first season he was not great. Ramcyzk was better for his team, but at RT.

Remember that neither of those guys was considered an elite LT prospect, which is why both were available in the draft in the 20's for the Broncos to draft in the first place. Most teams looked at these guys and said "Meh."

And after his first season you'd have to say "Meh" about Bolles. He wasn't terrible, considering he was a rookie, but if you remember the almost immediate development of Ryan Clady back in the day it was totally different.

Back then it was in his first training camp that Shanahan stated publicly that Clady was doing great and easily exceeding expectations. And he quickly became a pro-bowl player who in the first two years of his career had some critics saying he was almost if not quite as good as Joe Thomas. They were on a comparable upward track early in their career, although Clady got hurt and ended his career while Thomas just kept on rolling towards the Hall of Fame.

Bolles is just nothing remotely like that and it doesn't appear he's about to suddenly become a Pro-Bowl LT in his second year. Possibly, but nothing so far indicates that.
    Last edited by Cugel; 03-03-2018 at 06:41 AM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by topscribe View Post
    But, that wouldn't solve the big problem on the line, RT (or LT if they move Bolles over to RT as some people suggest he needs to do). He might turn out to be a better RT than LT. After his first season he was not great. Ramcyzk was better for his team, but at RT.

Remember that neither of those guys was considered an elite LT prospect, which is why both were available in the draft in the 20's for the Broncos to draft in the first place. Most teams looked at these guys and said "Meh."

And after his first season you'd have to say "Meh" about Bolles. He wasn't terrible, considering he was a rookie, but if you remember the almost immediate development of Ryan Clady back in the day it was totally different.

Back then it was in his first training camp that Shanahan stated publicly that Clady was doing great and easily exceeding expectations. And he quickly became a pro-bowl player who in the first two years of his career had some critics saying he was almost if not quite as good as Joe Thomas. They were on a comparable upward track early in their career, although Clady got hurt and ended his career while Thomas just kept on rolling towards the Hall of Fame.

Bolles is just nothing remotely like that and it doesn't appear he's about to suddenly become a Pro-Bowl LT in his second year. Possibly, but nothing so far indicates that.
    Listen I don't know that it's necessarily fair to make the comparison between Garrett and Ryan. Barring injury Ryan would have gone down as one of the greatest tackles to ever play the game. But the guy just couldn't stay healthy after the stupid basketball injury. I think that the other two big name offensive tackles out played Garrett last year. But I also believe that they were paired with much better players on their respective offensive lines. Sticking a rookie offensive tackle with limited play history next to Max Garcia was not the right thing to do. First of all we know Max Garcia should not be starting on any line and putting him next to your rookie left tackle is like hanging a lead weight around the kids neck
    Last edited by Jsteve01; 03-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Listen I don't know that it's necessarily fair to make the comparison between Garrett and Ryan. Barring injury Ryan would have gone down as one of the greatest tackles to ever play the game. But the guy just couldn't stay healthy after the stupid basketball injury. I think that the other two big name offensive tackles out played Garrett last year. But I also believe that they were paired with much better players on their respective offensive lines. Sticking a rookie offensive tackle with limited play history next to Max Garcia was not the right thing to do. First of all we know Max Garcia CIA should be starting on any line and a plug-in man next year starting rookie left tackle is like hanging a lead weight around the kids neck
    My point is that none of the T's in the draft last year were close to elite T prospects, which is why both were available when the Broncos drafted in the 20's. That has never happened before in the last 15 years of the draft.

The T class was considered terribly poor with only a couple of first round Ts and none of those elite. Mike McGlinchy is a top 15 prospect this year for instance and the way T's normally creep up the board before the draft they normally go in the top 10.

Orlando Brown of OK is also probably a top 20 T.

Bolles just wasn't a top prospect last year and he hasn't played like one. And the Clady comparison is to remind Broncos fans what it looks like if a T is going to become an elite T. It looks like Clady's career after his first year, not like a guy who whiffs a ton and leads the league in penalties.

We don't see that with Bolles, which is why so many speculate they could move him to RT rather than just leave him at LT where he might ultimately be a mediocre LT.

If they can get Cousins, they could trade back a bit in the first round and still land McGlinchy at #10 or so.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information