Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Plan B or C at QB

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Cut/trading PL costs Denver cap room.
    This is why whiffing on your 1st round QB is so devastating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    if we keep him around, they should make his sorry ass run down and cover kickoffs. . . get some value out of that money, at least!

This is why PL should have been handed the job. Let's say there was a five percent chance the year would have mattered and we'd be comfortable on the last make or break try for PL. Weigh that possibility vs. the odds that TS would have ever done anything (almost zero). This is why I was so adamant about the issue last summer because it was an ugly truth.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

If you can’t give a QB 3 years to develop then you can’t draft spread QB’s, worst thing for PL was switching systems twice in the span of 6 months.

He’s not the sharpest peanut in the turd to begin with.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

6. The Following User High Fived Simple Jaded For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by underrated29 View Post
    We will sign a vet. We know this is going to happen. Elway is not going to go into the season without one. He isn’t. He never has. He never will.

Knowing this, if we can’t get Kirk, I will want Bradford. He is the best out of all of those scrub qbs. Then we draft Rosen or Baker.

That’s it
    I want Bradford too. Case Keenum wants to be a starter and after playing well all season and getting his team to the NFC Championship Game he will get some team to pay him $20+ million a year. Fine. I don't see it being the Broncos but obviously Elway isn't telling me what his plans are.

With MN now ditching all their QBs (reportedly) Cousins might well be going to MN. The Jets are also reportedly considering fully guaranteeing Cousins entire contract ($120m+ ) which is routine in baseball, but has never happened in the NFL and isn't likely now.

So, if Cousins is off the table (looks increasingly likely) the Broncos will either decide that Keenum is good enough to offer a long term deal to, or else draft a QB at #5. Not both.

Look at the problem guys. No obvious solutions either.

If Cousins is off the table, that leaves the draft realistically. But, the Broncos don't have the #1 overall pick and there isn't even a consensus QB to take at #1, let alone #5.

Cleveland at #1 is obviously going to take a QB since they passed on Wentz and fired the GM who did that. Likely Sam Darnold because Rosen publicly stated he doesn't want to go to Cleveland while Darnold is fine with the idea of being paid like the #1 overall pick and Darnold supposedly has the "most upside". I have no comment, except that they don't have to disguise who they are interested in since they have the #1 pick and can take anybody they want and are unlikely to trade out of that pick.

Giants at #2. Eli was benched this season. Then they fired the GM and coach McAdoo and the new GM came in and said they are keeping Eli. But, he's 37 on his last legs; he might last 1 or at most 2 more years with declining play. Obviously they take a QB and just as obviously it will be Josh Rosen since the scouts consider him the most pro-ready.

I suppose they could fall in love with Josh Allen but (if the press is accurate) nobody considers Mayfield worth a top 2 pick. So, probably Rosen

So, Darnold and probably Rosen are off the boards when the Broncos pick. Plus, if the Jets don't land Cousins, then they probably want to take a QB and they pick 1 spot behind the Broncos and are in direct competition with them. They could decide to move up to #4 (Cleveland) or #3 Indy to get ahead of the Broncos to draft Josh Allen. So, the Broncos might even need to move up 1 or 2 spots in the draft - which would cost them a 2nd round pick or more.

I would hate that and so would Elway, but what choice does he have? He screwed the pooch on the Paxton Lynch draft and now he's desperate. The Jets are always desperate for QBs since they haven't had a really good one since Joe Namath.

IF the Broncos draft Josh Allen no way is he ready by week 1. They would need a veteran starter who would be willing and able to mentor a rookie QB and Sam Bradford would be the best one available.

Nobody is desperate to give Bradford the long term starting job, with his injury history, so they could probably sign him and still draft a rookie whereas Keenum wouldn't want to go anywhere the team is drafting a top 5 QB.

AJ McCarron and Teddy Bridgewater are less viable. McCarron as was pointed out, has what? 3 starts? Basically a repeat of the Osweiler to Houston deal, you're buying a pig in a poke. No way to tell whether he will pan out.

Bridgewater's knee was pretty bad. Despite the love that they showed Bridewater this year they are unlikely to keep him if he wins his arbitration hearing to become an UFA.

As Adam Schefter says on ESPN "Bradford's injury history means they can't rely on him. Bridgewater's injury means they can't rely on him." They have to franchise Keenum and then see if they can land Cousins.

ESPN's take on Jets probable offer:
    Total years and value: Five for $150 million
    Average per year: $30 million
    Full guarantee at signing: $72 million
    Total guarantee: $90 million
    Three-year payout: $52 million after Year 1, $72 million after Year 2, $90 million after Year 3.

The Jets can make Cousins the highest-paid player in the league without significantly hurting their ability to build a strong supporting cast around him. They have approximately $73 million in salary-cap room, and that amount will exceed $90 million once they're finished with veteran cuts. In other words, they have the flexibility to address their biggest needs on offense -- center, tight end and wide receiver. They can welcome Cousins to New Jersey with a nice housewarming gift in the form of Allen Robinson or another playmaker.

BTW: ESPN is reporting that "sources close to the Broncos" are indicating the Broncos have interest in Keenum. That rumor is likely similar to most rumors at this point of the off-season - a smoke screen.

Lots of misinformation out there these days.

10. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    This is why PL should have been handed the job. Let's say there was a five percent chance the year would have mattered and we'd be comfortable on the last make or break try for PL. Weigh that possibility vs. the odds that TS would have ever done anything (almost zero). This is why I was so adamant about the issue last summer because it was an ugly truth.
    They tried. They really wanted him to win the starting job and created a "QB contest" despite TS being the incumbent.

Lynch fumbled his chance because he sucks. Over and done. Elway may be stubborn and keep him on the roster, but no way will Paxton Lynch ever be a successful starter in this league. Probably he's a total washout, but they will probably keep him around to "develop" for another year.

God help the Broncos if they ever have to use him for anything serious.

Adopted Bronco:

So much easier to just draft a kid at 5

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Broncos believe that they are the front runners for kirky. They think so. My guess is when talking to siemian agent who happens to be kirks agent. A 2-4 year Deal w high guarantees. If not it’s a Viking qb and a rookie at 5.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    They tried. They really wanted him to win the starting job and created a "QB contest" despite TS being the incumbent.

Lynch fumbled his chance because he sucks. Over and done. Elway may be stubborn and keep him on the roster, but no way will Paxton Lynch ever be a successful starter in this league. Probably he's a total washout, but they will probably keep him around to "develop" for another year.

God help the Broncos if they ever have to use him for anything serious.
    You don't have to 'try'. You just name the starter the starter.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Sam Bradford is garbage. 18+ mil for the guy to start a game or two before he ends up broken again...

**** that!

Cousins or a rookie (and start his ass) at 5.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

17. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Bradford and Baker and I'm happy

19. The Following User High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    So much easier to just draft a kid at 5
    Amen bro. I want the hot young QB which is as much of a ? Mark as a high priced vet. Then look right at Linemen.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Bradford and Baker and I'm happy
    Then draft Zeus and hire Bob Stoops as our head coach. #Championship

22. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information