Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Plan B or C at QB

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    not for 18 million, hell no. . . maybe we can just share matt hasselbeck with indy or something. . . bring the other mccown out of retirement. . . i see zero sense in cutting a guy like talib or sanders so we can afford to pay stupid money to the likes of AJ mccarron, sam bradford, or tyrod taylor. . . if tradition says you have to have a vet, fine-- as long as we can find a cheap one who's a mentor only, not a half-assed starter who's getting paid as much as von miller. . . if 16+ million per year is now "market value" for a shitty backup QB, then by all means, just keep trevor in that role. . . he's more experienced than freakin' AJ!

as i've said before, i'd rather pay 30 for kirk and actually get a good quarterback, than pay close to twenty for a guy who sucks. . . the bears didn't need to waste all that money on mike glennon, and we should learn from that example. . . gimme a minute, i want to pull up a FA chart and see who else is available. . . i wonder how much it would cost to re-sign brock. . . i just hate investing big in a guy who you won't win anything with. . .
    What you are saying reminds me of what the Bengals did with Jon Kitna. Found a smart veteran who was holding no angst regarding being a mentor.

Bringing back Brock is a better idea as a backup than paying for one of those guys. We're not trying to pay a guy who should be a bench QB big money because there is some upside to him. Nope. We're looking for someone who isn't that great, might be okay in a game or two, but who knows the game and isn't going to be picked up any time soon. Ironically, Sanchez could be our Kitna.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

okay, here we go. . . if we just want a guy to start for six weeks until the rookie is "ready," then give me some schlub like oz, drew stanton, chad henne, derek anderson, matt moore, kellen clemens, blaine gabbert, EJ manuel, or TJ yates. . . go big or go home. . . what, are we going to the super bowl with vance joseph and sam bradford? i think it's foolish to pay for a premium backup/spot starter with this roster. . . VJ doesn't need a ferrari, or even a trans am-- he's just going to wreck it anyway. . .

if we're drafting a blue chip rookie, just play the kid. . . it didn't hurt guys like carr, wentz, or watson. . . let the kid take his lumps and learn from them. . .

honestly, i don't necessarily think you guys are wrong in saying that we'll sign a vet regardless. . . i'm just not a fan of paying big money to a mid-tier journeyman type. . . it's a waste of time as well as money. . .

3. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

We just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.
    Last edited by DenBronx; 02-28-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    We we just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.
    There's plenty of money...
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    We we just rolled over a little more than 10 mill and that's before we cut or renegotiate with anyone. This leaves us with around 27-28 mill currently.
    There's plenty of money...
    To do what?
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Paxton Lynch is the biggest question mark for me... I believe Elway is going to want to give him a 3rd season to develop as opposed to trading him for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Then he is also going to want to give Chad Kelly a chance in camp.

So you've got 2 QB slots already spoken for and I think it's unlikely either of them get cut. Assuming we bring 4 QBs to camp - it's hard to believe that the additional 2 would both be viable starters. And we know JFE will sign at least one veteran QB in free agency.

So the decision really hinges on whether you think AJM or Keenum are worth starter-type salaries, because they won't be available at a discount, you'd have to be committing to them. I wouldn't rule it out - but this seems like the riskiest path where you could end up paying a ton for not much production.

I think Elway will sign/trade for a Mark Sanchez equivalent in free agency who is cheap and draft a QB. A Josh McCown type might be perfect to mentor 3 young dudes and not insert his ego.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    What you are saying reminds me of what the Bengals did with Jon Kitna. Found a smart veteran who was holding no angst regarding being a mentor.

Bringing back Brock is a better idea as a backup than paying for one of those guys. We're not trying to pay a guy who should be a bench QB big money because there is some upside to him. Nope. We're looking for someone who isn't that great, might be okay in a game or two, but who knows the game and isn't going to be picked up any time soon. Ironically, Sanchez could be our Kitna.
    kitna, good call. . . you got his number?

9. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

I think Elway will sign/trade for a Mark Sanchez equivalent in free agency who is cheap and draft a QB. A Josh McCown type might be perfect to mentor 3 young dudes and not insert his ego.
    can't we get one of the other mccown boys cheaper? they're all basically the same. . .

Yep, definitely soccer

Alright, I'm back on the Cousins wagon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Paxton Lynch is the biggest question mark for me... I believe Elway is going to want to give him a 3rd season to develop as opposed to trading him for pennies on the dollar this offseason. Then he is also going to want to give Chad Kelly a chance in camp.

So you've got 2 QB slots already spoken for and I think it's unlikely either of them get cut. Assuming we bring 4 QBs to camp - it's hard to believe that the additional 2 would both be viable starters. And we know JFE will sign at least one veteran QB in free agency.

So the decision really hinges on whether you think AJM or Keenum are worth starter-type salaries, because they won't be available at a discount, you'd have to be committing to them. I wouldn't rule it out - but this seems like the riskiest path where you could end up paying a ton for not much production.

He'd be fine rolling with Pax as the #2 for a rookie.

Damn. Now you got me thinking.

Swag is totally expendable. If he's not a legit QB competitor, he's the UDFA camp arm. Lynch is borderline cut.

What's the timing on signing free agent QBs? Will we know prior to draft if we have a Cousins/Keenum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    He'd be fine rolling with Pax as the #2 for a rookie.

Damn. Now you got me thinking.

Swag is totally expendable. If he's not a legit QB competitor, he's the UDFA camp arm. Lynch is borderline cut.

What's the timing on signing free agent QBs? Will we know prior to draft if we have a Cousins/Keenum?
    Knowing how Elway thinks - Swag ain't expendable. Look at how much he became attached to Brock. Look at how much rope Siemian got. His draft picks are his babies. Lynch is the opposite of borderline cut. He is completely safe from being cut - he's either on the roster or traded with absolutely no in-between.

Free agency starts March 14. We will know what the draft strategy is based on which veteran QB we sign.

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Knowing how Elway thinks - Swag ain't expendable. Look at how much he became attached to Brock. Look at how much rope Siemian got. His draft picks are his babies. Lynch is the opposite of borderline cut. He is completely safe from being cut - he's either on the roster or traded with absolutely no in-between.

Free agency starts March 14. We will know what the draft strategy is based on which veteran QB we sign.
    You think Lynch would fetch a 7th? I can't judge these things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Cut/trading PL costs Denver cap room.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”
    “ . . . Picture a cup in the middle of the sea”

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Yeah I'd think a 7th/conditional 6th if he plays is what I'd expect a 1st rounder will fetch in their first rebound at minimum.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information