Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Would You Trade #5 Overall Pick To Bills For #21 and #22?

A great line means nothing without a QB. Just ask Cleveland.

The offense starts and ends up with QB. There are legitimate prospects to be had. We have to nail it if we don't get a real FA option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

2. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Joel: There's more to life and the NFL than QBs. Throw a rookie QB—ANY rookie QB—out there before we have the run blocking to relieve psychological pressure and pass blocking to relieve Khalil Macks pressure and you're just spending a #5 overall pick on the next David Carr, Vinny Testaverde, Jake Locker or Blaine Gabbert.
    Man, that's a lot of words for saying the obvious. No QB will be any good behind Denver's OL. Obviously they have to fix that, which is why they need Kirk Cousins so badly so they can use that #5 draft pick on a LT so they can move Bolles to RT, and then all they need is a RG. That might even be Connor McGovern so they could even have that guy on the roster. Move Leary to LG.

Alternatively, they draft a rookie at #5 and sign a veteran T in FA. Either way they have to get that OL fixed if they are to improve on 5-11.

Everyone knows this, so there's no use using that to justify not taking a QB. They have to do BOTH at the same time! They can't just sign Cousins or draft a guy, and forget about fixing the OL!

And they can't just use cast-offs scrubs like Menelik Watson this time!

4. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

to get a shot at a top 5 player in any draft is priceless. to trades back to where we used to be picking to me is foolish.. more is rarely better.

6. The Following User High Fived nevcraw For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Plenty of good picks are made in the mid-to-late first round. Where was Demaryious Thomas drafted? And if you have two mid 1sts, you double your chances of hitting on a real stud. In that same draft, we got Thomas and Tebow in the first. One's now among the highest-paid receivers in football and the other is a Met. Just sayin'.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

NFL.com has a mock where they covered this scenario. They also surmised we’d get a 2nd in 2019 from Buffalo. They have us taking Kirk, WR Texas A&M and McGlinchey, OT Notre Dame at 21 and 22 FWIW.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    NFL.com has a mock where they covered this scenario. They also surmised we’d get a 2nd in 2019 from Buffalo. They have us taking Kirk, WR Texas A&M and McGlinchey, OT Notre Dame at 21 and 22 FWIW.
    If that happened, hands down we would be greatly improved as a team, even if we had to lose 1-2 pieces in the process.

There are 22 starting players on a team, only 1 of which is a QB. It's dead EASY to find potential Pro-Bowl players in the first round if you simply wait your turn and pick the best player available regardless of position. The Broncos did this with Bradley Roby and it turned out to be a great pick for them. They didn't need a CB at the time, but he was the best player available and they didn't need a QB so they drafted him.

So, Demaryius Thomas is COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT. QB is different.

If a team does not have a franchise QB nothing else matters. Nothing. Take a look some time at the '86-'87 Bears who had a boat-load of Hall of Fame players including Richard Dent and Walter Peyton on their roster. Didn't matter because the Giants had Phil Simms and the 49ers had Joe Montana.

The Colts averaged 12 wins a season under Peyton. Then he got hurt and missed the 2011 season and they won 2 games and fired their coach and GM. Turned out he was covering up for a lot of holes on that team.

The QB is literally more important than the other 52 men on the roster combined! So much so that an elite defense will rarely compensate for lousy QB play (1985 Bears, 2000 Ravens, 2015 Broncos doesn't happen very often).

It makes ZERO sense to draft anything BUT a QB if you don't have a franchise QB, unless you are convinced that no QB available will be good enough.

So, if the Broncos don't land Kirk Cousins, they are drafting a QB at #5 and not following this idiotic suggestion and drafting a QB later in the round or round 2 or something.

The stats say that your best chance of finding a franchise QB are in the top 5 picks and fall rapidly from there. Some QBs fall into the teens or even 20's (Aaron Rogers #24, Drew Brees #32), but that is RARE!

A QB taken later in the first or second round is much more likely to wind up like Paxton Lynch than Aaron Rogers.

There are exceptions (Brady, Wilson, Kurt Warner) but the exceptions only prove the rule. Take the best QB prospect you can find, even if that means drafting him in the top 5.

Teams that trade out of their top five pick - like Cleveland don't end up well:
    The Browns traded away the pick that became Carson Wentz, and it looks like more of a disaster each day

This year, however, Wentz has looked like a revelation, as he has joined the MVP conversation on a team with an elite defense and an offense that seems to be finding its footing each week.

Compare that with the Browns, whose quarterback situation is getting uglier by the week.

The Browns started five quarterbacks last year, cycling through Cody Kessler, Josh McCown, Robert Griffin III, Charlie Whitehurst, and Kevin Hogan.

This year, seeking an answer at the position (though they passed over the chance to draft Deshaun Watson), the Browns drafted DeShone Kizer. Through six games, Kizer has completed just 52% of his passes and has thrown three touchdowns to 11 interceptions. Kizer has been tugged in and out of the lineup, replaced by Hogan (61% completion, four touchdowns, five interceptions) and Kessler (52% completion, zero touchdowns, one interception).

The Browns were expected to improve this season after what looked like a promising draft. But their offense has been utterly incompetent, leaving the defense on the field longer. When the Browns begin trailing, they're forced to abandon the run game, leaving their quarterbacks to throw more and get exposed.

With the team 0-7, there are already calls for changes in management. Two seasons and 22 losses (with one win) into a full teardown, the Browns haven't made any progress on their rebuild outside perhaps defensive end Myles Garrett.

The Browns have acquired extra picks in next year's draft, one with a seemingly deep quarterback class, and a franchise quarterback is certainly on Cleveland's wish list. Neither Wentz nor Watson would be playing as well as he is now if he were in Cleveland. But any team's rebuild becomes easier with a potential franchise quarterback. Good quarterbacks keep their team's defense on the field, elevate the skill players around them, and help attract future free agents. Wentz certainly has that promise for the Eagles.

The Browns, meanwhile, must be kicking themselves for passing on the chance to enjoy all that Wentz brings to a team.
    They FIRED GM Sashi Brown who engineered that trade with Philadelphia. They won't make the same mistake again this year. They will take a QB with the #1 over all pick and try and develop that guy.

John Elway is not stupid enough to repeat Cleveland's mistake. He will draft a QB unless he's not convinced that Mayfield or Allen is good enough. If not then he might trade down and take a QB later. And try again next year with a new Head Coach.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

I’m not going to read that. Can someone summarize?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Nope.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Pontificate, pontificate, pontificate... There you go, there's the tl;dr

Adopted Bronco:
    Jake Butt

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Plenty of good picks are made in the mid-to-late first round. Where was Demaryious Thomas drafted? And if you have two mid 1sts, you double your chances of hitting on a real stud. In that same draft, we got Thomas and Tebow in the first. One's now among the highest-paid receivers in football and the other is a Met. Just sayin'.
    True but would you rather have a DT or a Von miller? we have a legit change to select the top player at most positions. the later you go the less likely that is unless you get lucky..

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

negative, ghost rider. . .

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

sfmnisaldk
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Once the new season begins (March 14) and the new trades are completed, the Bills will have draft picks #21, 22, 53, 56, 65 and 96. If that doesn't scream "trade up", I don't know what does. Now they'll desperately want to draft a QB since they dealt Taylor.

If the Broncos get their FA quarterback, I can see them trading down from #5 to get in on this.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information