Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: racial slurs are fine now?

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHoof View Post
    Technically, being Irish, Polish, Italian, French, etc. are not racism because these are not races.

There was a time 90-100 years ago when "ethnic" humor was common regarding various white ethnic groups who often settled in the New World in neighborhoods of same heritage. The big change in that came with World War II. Suddenly, a soldier had to depend on someone of a different ethnic group to have his back in a gunfight. They slept in the same foxholes and they discovered there was more they had in common than how they were different.

Overcoming racism is accomplished this way - discovering commonality rather than promoting how we are different.
    I get what you are saying in that all of those are Caucasian based ethnicities, but "ethnic humor" is no different than racial humor. To put it another way, just because I'm white doesn't give me the right to mock others based on white stereotypes.

Now, it doesn't sound like the intention (from what I've gathered of the situation) was to intentionally mock anyone specific, but it is still something we should be sensitive to. If it is being used in a way that could belittle someone else, then it should absolutely be avoided and as wayninja mentioned, the rules would already handle personal attacks like that appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I get what you are saying in that all of those are Caucasian based ethnicities, but "ethnic humor" is no different than racial humor. To put it another way, just because I'm white doesn't give me the right to mock others based on white stereotypes.

Now, it doesn't sound like the intention (from what I've gathered of the situation) was to intentionally mock anyone specific, but it is still something we should be sensitive to. If it is being used in a way that could belittle someone else, then it should absolutely be avoided and as wayninja mentioned, the rules would already handle personal attacks like that appropriately.
    Let's be clear on two things.

1. The intention wasn't to mock, and to do it over, I wouldn't have used it. Still to this day, among family and friends, this is a term that is used jokingly and I didn't realize the sensitivity of it, but I should have in the world we live in. My bad.
    2. The intention of this thread, and Weazel's outburst in the thread where I posted it, wasn't any real concern about it being an ethnic/racial slur, but instead to attack me, because he was irritated at me and the mods from a previous thread where he attacked Carol over something silly and than made an ass of himself creating other threads to prove his point, ironically, kind of like this, and apparently something that happened years ago, where he claims I called him out for saying Engrish, so he lashed out at me in that thread with a "stay classy" crack and created this thread, in which he impugned the mods in his first two posts, but from what I understand, never even reported the racist slur he found so offensive. If he was truly worried about the use of the term, he would have reported it and not used it as a means to attack me and impugn the mods. Don't you think?

So, while it's a reasonable conversation to have, we should just separate the context and why this thread even exists (many other ethnic cracks have been made without a thread like this ever being created) vs. the real issue.

If we want to create a rule that bans certain words deemed ethnic slurs, we certainly can. It's simply never has been a rule and there have been many of them used over the years joking around with no fanfare or complaint.
    Last edited by Tned; 02-21-2018 at 03:41 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Holy shit, batman. Clearly I have some studying to do on what not to do.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    To be clear, since it's on that list and I'd never heard it used racially before today... When I was talking about calling a spade a spade, it had nothing to do with Taylor's ethnicity. I was a bit confused when your only response was "that's racist" I assumed you were being a smart ass, and you likely were, but I'd never heard of spade being associated with black people.

7. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Well, the good news is I don't see the term you used in that other thread, so you have that going for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Apparently we both do. That's a long ass list.

You two will always have how wrong you were about Trevor in common.

11. The Following 5 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Good point, Slick.

This thread needs some Siemian slurs!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    You two will always have how wrong you were about Trevor in common.
    Wouldn't it be great if we just kept track of when people screwed up and got it wrong and then constantly reminded them of it even after they fully admitted they were completely and totally wrong. That'd be awesome...Beating a dead horse is so much fun!

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Wouldn't it be great if we just kept track of when people screwed up and got it wrong and then constantly reminded them of it even after they fully admitted they were completely and totally wrong. That'd be awesome...Beating a dead horse is so much fun!
    You are wright. We should be more sensitive.

15. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

I'm sorry if my joke offended you.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    I'm sorry if my joke offended you.
    Offended isn't the right word here lol. Just between wrighting and Trevor you guys are just beating the joke to death.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a012b0f2e8e23f30ee3ecbec409b821576192a430f7ab99c22f24a77f5b4003f.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	11813

18. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Perhaps you should wright us an apology letter about Trevor?
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

20. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

To be clear, since it's on that list and I'd never heard it used racially before today... When I was talking about calling a spade a spade, it had nothing to do with Taylor's ethnicity. I was a bit confused when your only response was "that's racist" I assumed you were being a smart ass, and you likely were, but I'd never heard of spade being associated with black people.
    I have, and several times in the last week, I started to use that phrase but not realize it's not acceptable.

It's not always quite so black and white (actually, this probably isn't ok, either).

I recently found out that it's now wrong, a micro aggression, to say someone welshed on a bet.

The world has changed and there is much that generations of people have said without even knowing the etymology of the phrase, such as your unintentionally racist spade is a spade remark, which are no longer PC. I don't use that phrase anymore, but just as you don't consider that racist, we've referred to each other as guineas and dago's forever.

As a community, we need to decide if we want to ban every word on that list, or a subset, or whatever. Or, we don't. That's a community decision.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information