Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: racial slurs are fine now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Only your first two posts.

In the first post, you said they would unfairly send you CYP just for creating this thread.

In your second post, you said the mods would give you the death sentence for pointing out where I broke a rule (which it's worth pointing out, you didn't do).

So, two posts and twice you questioned the integrity of the mods.

It's one thing for you to carry on this imaginary feud that exists between you and I in your head, but you have no call to question/impugn the mods integrity.

If you think their should be a "no language that any group or culture could find offensive" rule created, then make a case to the community about it.
    you keep posting that I should ignore you and let it go but you keep trolling me... run along

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

2. The Following User High Fived weazel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    you keep posting that I should ignore you and let it go but you keep trolling me... run along
    Not your call, Weaz.

Now, any chance you want to have a discussion on the thread topic, or just keep lashing out at the mods and me?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Maybe you both should take a break.

5. The Following 3 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    By "You guys" do you mean Americans?

Because he was born here does that not mean he has a Scottish heritage? I guess I am failing to see your point. :shrugs:
    I think he's saying it's odd how proud we Americans often are of our distant European mutt heritage, as if it means anything. It is indeed odd.

7. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    I think he's saying it's odd how proud we Americans often are of our distant European mutt heritage, as if it means anything. It is indeed odd.
    It's not a simple question. Until recently, most European countries had very low percentages of immigrants or native born citizens of immigrant descent. It's a fairly recent phenomenon in Europe of open borders and being very acceptable of immigrants that didn't originate from foreign wars (Indians in England for instance).

That said, the Indians in England don't complete throw off the cloaks of their Indian heritage just because they were born in England.

Someone like Dave can't grasp the concept of a country without an ethnicity, because with the exception of native americans (they are immigrants, but from a much longer time ago), all Americans are descendants of another country.

If you are German, that is both your country and your ethnicity. If you are Italian, it's your country and your ethnicity. If you are from the USA, it is your country, but not your ethnicity. So, it's not much different than the Scottish hanging on to their Scottish roots, when they are in fact part of the United Kingdom and in many cases these "Scotts" are living in England or other places outside of their Scottish ancestry.

I've seen very few people criticize an American of Mexican descent from paying homage to their heritage and ethnicity. I'm not sure why that's any different than Americans paying homage to their European ethnicity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

This isn't P&R guys, so let's keep the thread on topic please.

10. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

White Americans formed their own dominate culture, they have a national identity.

Mexicans in America did not.

Indians in UK did not.

Those whose current cultural identity is not established will seek to cling to traits and traditions that bond them to others who they can relate to, usually the past. It's a safety thing.

When I hear someone say I am Irish and part German, when in fact they are two or three generations American, like I said, it cracks me up as it is a claim that serves no purpose in my opinion.

Others appear to disagree.

12. The Following User High Fived Valar Morghulis For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    This isn't P&R guys, so let's keep the thread on topic please.
    Let's assume for a moment the thread topic was sincere, what do people think about creating a rule that prohibits language that might offend a person or group.

The case that caused this blow up was me using an ethnic (not racist) term, but clearly in context not disparaging a group or poster, but instead paying homage to the Italian men who mastered the art of making pizza.

So, the question, taking the OP at face value, is whether any term that could be deemed offensive to an ethnic group should be banned?

And, taken farther, do we want to censor any term that a group or person might be offended by.

When we started BF, people said they didn't want the draconian rules and censorship that existed on Mania/Broncos Country.

As such, we only outlawed a handful of words. Put in easy to follow rules regarding attacking other posters, etc.

Finally, we setup different guidelines in and out of the lounge. Outside the lounge, the rule is if you heard or saw it on network tv, it's generally acceptable. In the lounge, with the exception of nudity, if you saw it on cable/pay tv, it's generally acceptable.

Those rules were created by the community at large and that's how changes are done as well. So, if the community feels we need more censoring, then this is the place to discuss it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

White Americans formed their own dominate culture, they have a national identity.

Mexicans in America did not.

Indians in UK did not.

Those whose current cultural identity is not established will seek to cling to traits and traditions that bond them to others who they can relate to, usually the past. It's a safety thing.

When I hear someone say I am Irish and part German, when in fact they are two or three generations American, like I said, it cracks me up as it is a claim that serves no purpose in my opinion.

Others appear to disagree.
    Culture, tradition, and heritage are distinct things though. You can be divorced from one while honoring another.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

I think that a case by case basis still needs to apply.

Remember in this case both parties have claimed to be Italian.

Initial, weaz thought T was Asian.

That changes the context immediately.

Another ethnicity, using what is a racial slur should be challenged.

In this case, a lot about nothing.

Jmo

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post

And I could have sworn weazel was an indigenous person, if he's not doesn't that make being a black hawks fan inherently racist?
    #culturalappropriation

I think that a case by case basis still needs to apply.

Remember in this case both parties have claimed to be Italian.

Initial, weaz thought T was Asian.

That changes the context immediately.

Another ethnicity, using what is a racial slur should be challenged.

In this case, a lot about nothing.

Jmo
    On a forum, you can't have the context you suggest. Take his claim he thought I was Asian, which is something I've never said and runs counter to the many times I've referred to Italian ancestors.

It really comes down to whether we set aside a decade of minimal censorship, and strive to be more politically correct and censor speech that some might find offensive. I would say other than "N" and "C" and a few curses, not many words have been banned.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    On a forum, you can't have the context you suggest. Take his claim he thought I was Asian, which is something I've never said and runs counter to the many times I've referred to Italian ancestors.

It really comes down to whether we set aside a decade of minimal censorship, and strive to be more politically correct and censor speech that some might find offensive. I would say other than "N" and "C" and a few curses, not many words have been banned.
    I would personally be against this. The "common sense" rule here that it not be used to attack posters seems fine to me. Easier to manage, and less subjective about enforcement/selectivism.

19. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I would personally be against this. The "common sense" rule here that it not be used to attack posters seems fine to me. Easier to manage, and less subjective about enforcement/selectivism.
    No rules are perfect, but a lot of time and discussing went into the rules we have now a decade ago, and we landed on the idea of censoring very little, but for when words/terms are used to attack other posters.

We need to decide if that's still the best option for this community, or if we want to define new rules to be more politically correct/sensitive to various people and groups that mighty be offended.

Ironically, I had a pretty severe run in with a mod from another forum who used to post here. The mod was furious that people used the term jap on BF (in the lounge I believe). I explained that we are fairly laid back, which was the communities desire, when it comes to moderating and censoring, and that if it wasn't used to attack another poster, no rule was broken.

Do we want to change that now?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

If we want to do it right, maybe a poll? Leave it open for a week or two to make sure everyone who visits even semi-frequently has a chance to weigh in?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information