Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why now is the time to trade Shane Ray

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Why now is the time to trade Shane Ray

https://scout.com/nfl/denver-broncos...-Ray-114941818

I’ve been told that he dropped from his usual 245 pounds down to 225, which, as an edge defender, really hurt him, especially in the run game. Opposing teams would run straight at Ray when he was on the field, and there was naught he could do about it, contending with 300-plus pound tackles and guards at the point of attack.Ray’s pass rushing efficacy suffered some too. He finished with only one sack on the season, a career low. Pro Football Focus graded him cumulatively at 50.7, which for perspective, is putrid.
    While we know that Ray is a better overall player than where he finished ranking-wise, ending his third season as the 97th best edge defender, per PFF, is the opposite trajectory the Broncos were hoping to see from him.

With A Critical Offseason Imminent, Become A VIP Subscriber!If you look at his pass rushing metrics, Ray earned a respectable 73.4 grade via PFF, but due to his 45.3 run defense mark, his cumulative grade suffered immensely. However, the silver lining to Ray’s disappointing 2017 campaign was that in 172 pass rushing snaps, he was able to generate some pressure on the QB — he just couldn’t get home.

Unfortunately, that’s been the book on Shane Ray since entering the league in 2015. He can put pressure on the QB, and he has a phenomenal motor, but he’s unable to win his one-on-one matchups consistently to get the sacks.

Now, the Broncos are faced with a big decision on Ray. The team has until May to exercise his fifth-year option. As a former first-rounder, the Broncos have the prerogative to extend his rookie contract from four years to five, but doing so would come at a cost.

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Hard to argue that although obviously the wrist had a huge impact on weight loss because he couldn't stay in the weight room. I just think Barrett brings more as an all-around player.

3. The Following User High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    I just think Barrett brings more as an all-around player.
    I agree.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

So if the outlook is so bleak on Ray, what is the incentive for another team to give up anything for him?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 8 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

We should trade him for Aaron Rogers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

8. The Following 5 Users High Fived slim For This Post:

Brandon Graham hasn't gotten a ton of sacks per year, and yet he's one of the best pass rushers in the league. Hits and hits matter. Shane needs to seal the deal and get more sacks, but he's fine.

And he's a 3-4 OLB. Most of them are horrid against the run. They ran hard at Derrick Thomas, too. Not saying SR is on DT's level, but come on. This is the final countdown for the young man.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Shane had 10 sacks in limited duty in 2016. So we want to trade him after a bad season? What’s his value now, two chickens and a bag of rice?

Bad idea, IMO

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Shane had 10 sacks in limited duty in 2016. So we want to trade him after a bad season? What’s his value now, two chickens and a bag of rice?

Bad idea, IMO
    it was 8 but I definitely get your point. He just has to stay healthy this season. You remember our series of 8 sack pass-rushers that never ended up doing a whole lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    it was 8 but I definitely get your point. He just has to stay healthy this season. You remember our series of 8 sack pass-rushers that never ended up doing a whole lot?
    Yeah but those guys were all jags. Ray is an explosive athlete.

Yeah but those guys were all jags. Ray is an explosive athlete.
    Som of those guys became Jags...

Man I miss Malik's presence on the line...

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

Barrett is so overrated, he had more starts/games played than Ray and had how many sacks himself?

He’s great against the run though, he should be SILB, imo.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Barrett is so overrated, he had more starts/games played than Ray and had how many sacks himself?

He’s great against the run though, he should be SILB, imo.
    He’s too slow to play there

Adopted Bronco:
    Mighty Quinn

He’s too slow to play there
    He’s faster than Todd Davis.
    "Tuning ... into each other ... lift all higher”
    “I’m just different!”

Sign Garbage Minshew.

Draft
    1st round— Cooper Dejean CB
    2nd round— Jack Sawyer OLB
    3rd round— Will Shipley RB
    4th round— Ricky Pearsall WR
    5th round— Ladd McKonkey WR
    6th round— Cash Jones RB
    7th round— Carson Steele RB

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

I think almost every option has to be on the table at this point, and i just don't see him as even a 2nd tier starter. If they can get somethi g for him, take it. This Draft is so critical. Elway and Kubes better be on their shit.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

You don't trade guys when their stock is low coming off an injury shortened season - his potential upside as a first round pass rusher is worth more to us than whatever compensation we'd get in return right now. Bad idea is bad.

20. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information