Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what it would cost the Broncos to sign Kirk Cousins

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Here's what it would cost the Broncos to sign Kirk Cousins

Washington Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins is set to become a free agent this offseason and many NFL pundits believe the Denver Broncos will be one of the big teams poised to pursue him.

But could the Broncos even afford Cousins?

Denver is projected to have about $27 million in salary cap space this season, according to OverTheCap.com. That probably wouldn’t be enough to sign Cousins, plus the team has other players that need extensions (like linebacker Shaq Barrett) and other positions that need to be addressed (like right tackle).

Read more:
    https://broncoswire.usatoday.com/201...l-free-agency/

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Cousins ain't getting $27 million/year.

3. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rey

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    What's he getting?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

What's he getting?
    < $27 million/year

6. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

< $27 million/year
    going out on a limb hey? lol

If Denver wants him they are going to have to outbid more than one other team and one of them is the Jets, where a lot of people think he signs. He made almost that last season, I doubt he wants to go into free agency and sign for less.

Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

Quote Originally Posted by weazel View Post
    going out on a limb hey? lol

If Denver wants him they are going to have to outbid more than one other team and one of them is the Jets, where a lot of people think he signs. He made almost that last season, I doubt he wants to go into free agency and sign for less.
    If the Jets want to spend $27M/yr on a journeyman QB, that just increases our odds of drafting a solid QBotF prospect with the #5 overall pick.

Everyone acts like draft picks are gold plated, especially at the start of the year, especially 1st rounders and ESPECIALLY top 5 picks, but the reality is that a 1st round picks biggest upsides under the current CBA are the rookie salary cap limiting the damage a bust can do and the fifth-year team option "buying" time to find cap space for players who live up to their 1st round pick. As opposed to shelling out cap-breaking money for an Osweiler, Cassel or Flynn, then just having to eat 2-3 bad seasons while waiting for even a CHANCE to correct that dire error.

The higher our draft position, the more sense Best Player Available makes, because we're not reduced to the best player LEFT after 20+ teams took all the genuinely great ones. And even if that weren't true, I'd still want to put a solid line between top pass rushers and any potential rookie QB, lest having NO time to read the coverage nor go through progressions physically, mentally, emotionally and PERMANENTLY cripples our designated savior.

Yet if we are going for a QB (no law disqualifies QBs from being the BPA at #5, which is a good example of why BPA makes tons of sense at #5 but none at #25, where few top QB prospects remain) the Jets are a potential threat to that. They currently draft immediately after us, but Clevelands Osweiler trade combined with Houstons abysmal season gives the Browns TWO picks before us, BOTH of which could be spent on QBs if they trade one to the Jets (because even Cleveland's not stupid enough to spend TWO top five picks on the same position, even QB.) And the real, literal, bottom line is that Cousins would be hideously overvalued at $27M/yr, especially since that's money we sorely need to address the harsh truth that 5-11 teams need a LOT more than just a SINGLE player (even a QB.)
    Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy. Jaded

Never confuse frustrated candor and disloyal malice.
    Love can't be coerced. —Me

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I actually think you hit it spot on. I'm thinking he'll get right around this figure, maybe slightly less.

Adopted Bronco:

AAV may be over 27 mil, but with guaranteed money and back-ending a bunch, the number will be more cap friendly. if the Jets want to outbid everyone and give him 30/year for 5 years...they can have him. Just hope Cousins realizes the team will live in cap hell for awhile. Better win with them NOW.

11. The Following 2 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    AAV may be over 27 mil, but with guaranteed money and back-ending a bunch, the number will be more cap friendly. if the Jets want to outbid everyone and give him 30/year for 5 years...they can have him. Just hope Cousins realizes the team will live in cap hell for awhile. Better win with them NOW.
    agreed

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    So, is he going to get more or less than Smith is reported to be getting?

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

The guaranteed money will be >$60.5 million.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

15. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

This is what some guy on ESPN that I've never heard of says:

It wouldn't be shocking at all to see Cousins top $90 million over the first three years of his new deal, and he could take home $100 million in meaningful guarantees at signing. A $40 million signing bonus and guaranteed base salaries of $18 million in 2018, $20 million in 2019, and $22 million in 2020 gets Cousins to $100 million in three years. Cousins could sign a five-year, $150 million deal and still have another shot at a lucrative extension or free agency before turning 35.

Nobody is arguing that Cousins is a perfect quarterback, but teams without passers are going to take a risk over the next couple of seasons. Is any passer who is likely to come available a better risk than the guy who is sixth in passer rating and seventh in Total QBR over the past three years? Cousins is about to be the subject of one of the most heated bidding wars in league history.
    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-nfl-offseason

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    This is what some guy on ESPN that I've never heard of says:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-nfl-offseason
    There is no way Denver will give him $33mil guaranteed AAV over the first three years. Even though the cap hit is only $84mil over those years, they won't do it.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

5yr, 150 Million dollar deal....

So.... who else is available?

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    5yr, 150 Million dollar deal....

So.... who else is available?
    He's not the first to suggest these types of numbers. Now, some feel with a so/so year that his market value might have fallen. I know Frank Schwab during the early part of the season was saying that the NFL has never seen a QB the caliber of Cousins in his prime. At that time, he felt is wasn't out of the realm for Cousins to command 30-32 a year.

Based on those ESPN numbers above, he would average a $28 million cap number his first three years.

So, if right, I'm not saying it isn't doable, but not as easy as some fans seem to think. We are paying a LB QB money, and then to add the highest paid player in NFL history, plus a high draft pick (slightly more than middle of the draft), plus other free agents to fill holes in Oline, possibly ILB (one might be fixed with early pick).

Doable, but Elway will have to jettison talent to do it and mortgage the future. It's a huge gamble.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information