Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Here's what it would cost the Broncos to sign Kirk Cousins

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    You never let players get into that final year or you get ****** like we did with Von Miller and DT. Letting guys’ contracts expire or tagging them, especially if you know you want to keep them is just bad business and typically ends up costing you way more than just signing them a year early. The Seahawks re-signed Wilson before it became an issue and it was a non event for them. If you’re smart you lock up your top players before they set the “highest paid player at their position” bar.
    Again, even if that's the case, there will be a fifth year option on him, so he's under contract for five years and he can be extended between his fourth and fifth year.

Bottom line, saying that the reason to sign Cousins to $30 million a year now, is that if we draft a QB we will pay him $40 million in 5 years doesn't make sense. Isn't that exactly what the Broncos will have to do with Cousins anyway?

Both Cousins and the rookie, will both be set to be extended between the 2021 and 2022 season, or will be come free agents and have to be tagged in 2023.

The difference is that Cousins will make it very, very hard for the team to fix the other problems, like the line they need to repair to protect their $30 million QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

30m is too much cap in one player

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    meh. . . who needs a good quarterback? i for one love the idea of watching tyrod taylor run our offense for the next five years. . . think of all the money we'd save!
    Yea, i know.

Sometimes people are very short sighted with stuff like this. If people think guys like G and Cousins are expensive now, just wait until Goff and Wentz go to redo their contracts. The price for a decent starting QB is going to continue to go up, thats the market and way it has been playing out for the last few years. My fear is Denver will draft someone who wont be even Cousins good yet will end up paying a shit ton of money anyway and we will continue to be stuck in mediocrity.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by horsepower 56 View Post
    for everyone who is cringing at the money jimmy g just made and that cousins will command, just understand that it’s the norm now.

We pay now or pay later, what does it matter? Let’s say we decide that cousins is too much at 30 mil. Fine. So we sign someone like tyrod taylor or teddy bridgewater or some other scrub journeyman plug-in for 18-20 mil and draft a guy. Now let’s say we get whoever your favorite qb is in the draft (rosen, darnold, mayfield, whoever idgaf) and that guy turns out to be a damned solid guy who starts in 2019. In 2021 (his 4th year) we will be looking to sign him to a contract extension which, by then, will likely be close to 40 mil a year. Are we gonna say **** it and do what washington did to cousins or just pay the money then?

Any way you look at it qbs are retarded expensive and you’re gonna have to pay the piper eventually. There are no more free rides. Pay cousins now, or pay someone else later (and hope you actually can find a guy worth the $).
    boom.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    for everyone who is cringing at the money jimmy g just made and that cousins will command, just understand that it’s the norm now.

We pay now or pay later, what does it matter? Let’s say we decide that cousins is too much at 30 mil. Fine. So we sign someone like tyrod taylor or teddy bridgewater or some other scrub journeyman plug-in for 18-20 mil and draft a guy. Now let’s say we get whoever your favorite qb is in the draft (rosen, darnold, mayfield, whoever idgaf) and that guy turns out to be a damned solid guy who starts in 2019. In 2021 (his 4th year) we will be looking to sign him to a contract extension which, by then, will likely be close to 40 mil a year. Are we gonna say **** it and do what washington did to cousins or just pay the money then?

Any way you look at it qbs are retarded expensive and you’re gonna have to pay the piper eventually. There are no more free rides. Pay cousins now, or pay someone else later (and hope you actually can find a guy worth the $).
    boom.
    Should the Broncos go all in with a young QB, by the time he is ready to renew, Vons salary will not be a problem by then.

I think this is the way to go, bring in the New guy, unless somehow Chad Kelly is He-Man.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

boom.
    More like bust.

Two reasons.

First, in five years the cap will be higher. Second, in five years Cousins will have to be renewed for those big dollars mentioned, just like a rookie if he turns out to be worth renewing.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Again, even if that's the case, there will be a fifth year option on him, so he's under contract for five years and he can be extended between his fourth and fifth year.

Bottom line, saying that the reason to sign Cousins to $30 million a year now, is that if we draft a QB we will pay him $40 million in 5 years doesn't make sense. Isn't that exactly what the Broncos will have to do with Cousins anyway?

Both Cousins and the rookie, will both be set to be extended between the 2021 and 2022 season, or will be come free agents and have to be tagged in 2023.

The difference is that Cousins will make it very, very hard for the team to fix the other problems, like the line they need to repair to protect their $30 million QB.
    The only reasons Cousins will make it hard to “fix” the other problems is because we’re paying Von (whom I love) too much money because we waited until after his Super Bowl MVP season to try to get a deal done. That’s our fault. The market for Cousins and now any other QB worthy of long term investment (see also Stafford, Matthew; Smith, Alex; and Garoppolo, Jimmy) is north of 25 mil per year. I’d be surprised not to see guys like Taylor, Bridgewater, Keenum, etc not getting at least 20. That’s stupid money for what you get.

You know how we “fix” the team? Stop signing the Donald Stephensons and Menelik Watsons of the world. Draft well, for once. Cousins allows us to go BPA in the draft. That’s awesome. He will, guaranteed, also make our Oline seem better with the same dudes just because he has pocket awareness and a quick release. Our Oline isn’t good, but the 3 clowns we have at QB make them look worse than they are.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

8. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

The only reasons Cousins will make it hard to “fix” the other problems is because we’re paying Von (whom I love) too much money because we waited until after his Super Bowl MVP season to try to get a deal done. That’s our fault. The market for Cousins and now any other QB worthy of long term investment (see also Stafford, Matthew; Smith, Alex; and Garoppolo, Jimmy) is north of 25 mil per year. I’d be surprised not to see guys like Taylor, Bridgewater, Keenum, etc not getting at least 20. That’s stupid money for what you get.

You know how we “fix” the team? Stop signing the Donald Stephensons and Menelik Watsons of the world. Draft well, for once. Cousins allows us to go BPA in the draft. That’s awesome. He will, guaranteed, also make our Oline seem better with the same dudes just because he has pocket awareness and a quick release. Our Oline isn’t good, but the 3 clowns we have at QB make them look worse than they are.
    Sometimes it's easier said than done. Just like the people that claimed if Malik had been signed earlier, he would have taken Wolfe money, even though it was later reported the Broncos tried and Jackson wanted big bucks. Miller wanted big bucks and while the SB may have driven up his numbers a tad, he's not like he was a so/so player like Pot roast that simply had a few good games in the playoffs. Miller was considered one of the, or the, best rusher in the game prior to the SB.

Regardless, we are where we are. It makes no sense to pretend we aren't playing Miller like a QB and now the highest paid QB in NFL history and then just ignore all the other holes.

Cousins isn't Manning. We can all see now how Manning made that line look better than it was, and it's worse now, but to think Cousins can do the same is probably wishful thinking.

You never let players get into that final year or you get ****** like we did with Von Miller and DT. Letting guys’ contracts expire or tagging them, especially if you know you want to keep them is just bad business and typically ends up costing you way more than just signing them a year early. The Seahawks re-signed Wilson before it became an issue and it was a non event for them. If you’re smart you lock up your top players before they set the “highest paid player at their position” bar.

Are the Broncos a Super Bowl team with Tyrod Taylor and a rookie QB? What happens if we spend the #5 on a QB and he busts? Back to the drawing board again? Having a “franchise” QB is essential nowadays. If you don’t have one, you spend all your time trying to acquire one instead of trying to win Championships.

My question is, would Tom Brady's numbers be any better than Cousins’ if he played in Washington? How about Brees or Roethlisberger? I really doubt it. Pick a “top 5” QB and tell me they’d have better numbers or more wins in Washington.
    Horse is just putting on a masterclass on how to kill it in a thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Horse is just putting on a masterclass on how to kill it in a thread.
    The problem is that while "killing it" he hasn't talked about how he's going to fix the other holes after we spend $30+ million on cap space on Cousins next year and $7 million on rookies. So, we have to cut/trade Talib just to cover Cousins and rookies, and then have no money for our or any other free agents, or those "early" extensions he talks about, like Roby for instance, who we will want to keep if we toss Talib.

It's a team, not one position. Can you, or he, or anyone, really make the case that last year if we cut Talib, but added Cousins, the Broncos would have been a Super Bowl contender? Is that the case being made?

How about also cutting CJ and Sanders to actually pay rookies. Does making those subtractions plus adding Cousins win the SB next year?

Yea, i know.

Sometimes people are very short sighted with stuff like this. If people think guys like G and Cousins are expensive now, just wait until Goff and Wentz go to redo their contracts. The price for a decent starting QB is going to continue to go up, thats the market and way it has been playing out for the last few years. My fear is Denver will draft someone who wont be even Cousins good yet will end up paying a shit ton of money anyway and we will continue to be stuck in mediocrity.
    People are fine with a 20 mil cap on a linebacker but scoff at a QB getting 30... it's quite laughable

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy! View Post
    Effing school zones suck. It's only a matter of time before I get nailed in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valar Morghulis View Post
    I take the fat out of the pan once no longer hot, smear it all over my genitals, then enter consenting people with my tumescent member.

You might have to add Cousins, take the increased productivity of the remaining players, and let the team recoup over time.

If we cut CJA, whom I love and would be saddened if he left, we would still have some depth at RB. If we cut Sanders, we don't have that depth. If we cut Talib, whom I love and would be saddened if he left, we have other corners and we are good at 'finding guys' at that position.

But, what do those guys do for us if we draft a rookie QB and start him? Those guys are still good or even great players, but it's hard to win with a rookie QB, and we can't expect our defense to carry the load.

Hypothetically, which gets us to SB contending faster - KC and two years of bleh or a rookie QB (assume he pans out for sake of argument and then assume he's solid but not great) and which is more likely?

These are brutal questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    More like bust.

Two reasons.

First, in five years the cap will be higher. Second, in five years Cousins will have to be renewed for those big dollars mentioned, just like a rookie if he turns out to be worth renewing.
    In 5 years Cousins will be 36 years old. He will not be getting a huge new market setting contract extension at 36.

Obviously Horsepower is right.

Here are the options:

#1 - Pay Kirk Cousins. Bidding will now start at $31m a year, and go up from there.

#2 - Draft Josh Allen or Baker Mayfield, or God knows. Suck for 2 years while the rookie learns. In the meantime, fire Vance Joseph, because there is no way he survives another 2 losing seasons. Start over with a new coaching staff. Meanwhile you lose whatever remains of your SB defense. Von Miller for instance will be 31 years old by the 2020 season when your rookie is ready (hopefully!) to lead you deep in the playoffs. Derek Wolfe, Darien Stewart, etc., etc. many more SB players may leave in the next 2 seasons.

# 3 - Find another lower priced QB and pretend that AJ McCarron, or Sam Bradford, or Case Keenum or whichever other FA QB is left on the market is going to lead you to a Championship. Watch for 2 seasons while this does not happen. Then go back into the top 5 of the draft in 2020 and repeat #2: draft another QB. Suck for 2 more seasons until said QB is ready to win playoff games sometime around 2022 (maybe).

What all the fans want is Door #4 where these problems are magically fixed and the Broncos "just get 'er done" and find a cheap QB who will lead the team to the SB. Problem is: there is NO Door #4.

It makes zero difference if Cousins is "worth" $31m a year. I've said for months that this is exactly what the market will do. It will go up, way past what YOU think is "reasonable." It's called the LAW of supply and demand for a reason you know. Because it's a basic LAW of economics that price is determined by demand, not by some intrinsic "value" of anything.

You can either pay market price or sit there for a couple more losing seasons with Tyrod Taylor or AJ McCarron or someone they can afford. Or you can draft a rookie at #5 and hope and pray they get it right this time and that the guy will NOT turn out to be one of the 50% or so of 1st round QBs who are busts.
    Last edited by Cugel; 02-09-2018 at 11:18 AM.

Re: Von Miller

Why would he have signed for less money earlier? I'm sure Von's agent was telling Von to let Justin Houston sign his deal, then we ask for more than him because you're better.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Slick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information