Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Colts hire Josh McDaniels as head coach

If MO is saying something bad about McD, people should listen.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    If MO is saying something bad about McD, people should listen.
    Hey, I criticized him too!

4. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    If a Patriots fan can't even admit that JMD screwed over the Colts, I'm not sure we can ever take any of you seriously anymore.

He gave them the high-hard one. Bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I'm annoyed that you're playing dumb, but I will explain it nevertheless:

The NFL allows assistant coaches to interview during the playoffs as a courtesy to the coaches so that coaches of successful teams don't get shut out of the process as teams race to hire their next coach. Then the hiring teams are forced to take coaches at their word while the coach completes their run with their current team in the playoffs... It's an imperfect process because it's not practical for the hiring team to sign their new coach away from their current team in the midst of the playoffs... So all they can do is take the coach at their word as they see other teams continue to hire qualified candidates.

In summary, the hiring team needs greater assurance that they won't be left hung out to dry if they are expected to sit and wait until the end of the season to hire their guy.

And up until now, the system had always worked because people operated in good faith. But not Mr. immature petulant selfish child - he only cares about himself.
    None of us know exactly what happened because we weren't involved in the process. Similarly, two sides or versions have been presented and none of us know which version is accurate and the truth may actually be somewhere in the middle.

It is undisputed, however, that J McD never signed a contract and it is disputed whether J McD told the Colts that he would need time to mull the decision and discuss it with his family before accepting the job. None of us know whether McD told or indicated to the Colts that he needed to mull the decision, so it is unclear whether "the hiring teams are forced to take coaches at their word" even applies in this situation. As a result, I'm not sure how or what the NFL can do or change because a coach who hasn't signed a contract and/or verbally told a team that he was accepting the job can't be forced to accept the job just because a team believes the coach was going to accept their job offer. I guess you are also thinking that the NFL will take action to protect teams that believe that they have completed a trade, but the other team fails to turn the proper work in on time or before the trade deadline like Cleveland did this season.
    Too bad she doesn't cheer for the Patriots dressed like this

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Good grief. How do you still not get this?

7. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    But to jerk around assistant coaches who notoriously get jerked around more than most professions and don't get the big money that head coaches get is completely irresponsible.
    I think we can all agree and feel badly for the assistant coaches.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by MNPatsFan View Post
    None of us know exactly what happened because we weren't involved in the process. Similarly, two sides or versions have been presented and none of us know which version is accurate and the truth may actually be somewhere in the middle.

It is undisputed, however, that J McD never signed a contract and it is disputed whether J McD told the Colts that he would need time to mull the decision and discuss it with his family before accepting the job. None of us know whether McD told or indicated to the Colts that he needed to mull the decision, so it is unclear whether "the hiring teams are forced to take coaches at their word" even applies in this situation. As a result, I'm not sure how or what the NFL can do or change because a coach who hasn't signed a contract and/or verbally told a team that he was accepting the job can't be forced to accept the job just because a team believes the coach was going to accept their job offer. I guess you are also thinking that the NFL will take action to protect teams that believe that they have completed a trade, but the other team fails to turn the proper work in on time or before the trade deadline like Cleveland did this season.
    We do know that he did not tell the Colts he was mulling it over though. Chris Ballard was asked this today and he said he was completely blindsided. Said McD gave no indication that he was still thinking it over.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I mean, the Colts freaking announced a press conference to introduce him as their new coach. They obviously had no reason to think he was still mulling over. How dense do you have to be not to see this?

11. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    We do know that he did not tell the Colts he was mulling it over though. Chris Ballard was asked this today and he said he was completely blindsided. Said McD gave no indication that he was still thinking it over.
    Argument will just be attacked for being he said/she said. Any circumstantial evidence will be ignored.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Argument will just be attacked for being he said/she said. Any circumstantial evidence will be ignored.
    And like I said above, the fact that they announced him as their coach and set a press conference should make it pretty plainly obvious that they had no idea he was anything but 100% on board.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I mean, the Colts freaking announced a press conference to introduce him as their new coach. They obviously had no reason to think he was still mulling over. How dense do you have to be not to see this?
    Yeah, but how do we "know" that irsay didn't call up and threaten to kill JFMD's family in a drunken tirade? It's possible, so if that was the case, I can't blame josh here...

I mean, on the one side, Irsay did inexplicably threaten his incoming head coach with torture and death, but on the other side, he didn't. So the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. We will just never know.

15. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

You are just being willfully obtuse here. The Indy GM said today at his press conference that they had agreed to terms. They obviously wouldn't have announced him as HC and scheduled a press conference if they hadn't reached an agreement.

The whole point is that in business not every single thing can be dictated by contract because it's not practical. The NFL was extending a courtesy to McDaniels by allowing him to interview with another team while still under contract with his current team. The Colts were extending him a courtesy by taking him at his word that he'd sign with the team, so they didn't go out and hire anyone else in the 3 weeks that he was still under contract and finishing out his current employment....

Further, it remains to be seen whether there are any formal violations of league rules here, since it involved the hiring of assistant coaches... This is new precedent. Josh's agent fired him because it was such a loser move. Agents don't typically fire their cash cows unless continuing to do business with them would be absolutely detrimental to their brand....

In short, McD's actions were indefensible and you can cling to your flimsy "he did nothing illegal" defense - but in the real world nobody buys that. He is a pariah and will be for the rest of his career.

17. The Following 9 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Maybe Ballard was planning to sign Peyton Hillis.

Umm, I said there are TWO versions because its a he said - he said situation. You're just choosing to accept and believe one side or version. I'm not accepting or believing either side or version because I simply do not know what actually happened. You must be one of those people who just blindly accepts the husband's or wife's version of facts in a divorce proceeding (just an example) or in similar circumstances even though you don't have any personal knowledge of the situation, but I'm not. Thus, we will just need to agree to disagree.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Umm, I said there are TWO versions because its a he said - he said situation. You're just choosing to accept and believe one side or version. I'm not accepting or believing either side or version because I simply do not know what actually happened. You must be one of those people who just blindly accepts the husband's or wife's version of facts in a divorce proceeding (just an example) or in similar circumstances even though you don't have any personal knowledge of the situation, but I'm not. Thus, we will just need to agree to disagree.
    Called it!

21. The Following 3 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

So you think there is a possible scenario in which McD told the Colts he was still mulling it over but they went ahead and announced him as their coach and set a press conference anyway? Stop playing dumb.

23. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information