Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Are moderators allowed to self moderate threads they are a part of?

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Default Are moderators allowed to self moderate threads they are a part of?

Reason why i ask is when i was mod this was not allowed because it would end up looking like bias. Has this changed?

I don't think it was that much self modded. He just said stop getting personal and keep it on topic.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by turftoad View Post
    I don't think it was that much self modded. He just said stop getting personal and keep it on topic.
    The problem is he was part of the problem in there. And if i recall the threads that mods took a part in were supposed to be moderated by those not involved in the thread to begin with. I mean, you have a mod mixing it up with everyone else but then all of a sudden wanting to shut it down because he didnt like the way it was going? Did you guys change this rule? If so, ill drop it but i dont remember seeing a change to this procedure.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

To answer your specific case; I moderated nothing (other than deleting a single post that was a blatant personal attack). I issued no infractions.

To answer generally, there is a directive that you should "recuse" yourself from doing any moderation that you are involved in. Mods still need to be able to control a thread if other moderators aren't on, and that includes shutting a thread down temporarily if it gets out of hand.

Hope this helps.

5. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    The problem is he was part of the problem in there. And if i recall the threads that mods took a part in were supposed to be moderated by those not involved in the thread to begin with. I mean, you have a mod mixing it up with everyone else but then all of a sudden wanting to shut it down because he didnt like the way it was going? Did you guys change this rule? If so, ill drop it but i dont remember seeing a change to this procedure.
    I know he DID like the way things were going. That is why he warned not to get personal because he wanted to continue the conversation. I was in the thread and he did not get personal with anyone. A few others did. Thus the warning.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

7. The Following User High Fived turftoad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Yeah, but that didn't happen.

I wasn't going to shut it down because I didn't like the way it was going, I was going to shut it down because people were blatantly breaking the rules and attacking each other.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    To answer your specific case; I moderated nothing (other than deleting a single post that was a blatant personal attack). I issued no infractions.

To answer generally, there is a directive that you should "recuse" yourself from doing any moderation that you are involved in. Mods still need to be able to control a thread if other moderators aren't on, and that includes shutting a thread down temporarily if it gets out of hand.

Hope this helps.
    Not really, you actually deleted a post on your own accord while partaking in that thread. I was always told that was a no no when a mod is part of the discussion/thread at hand. So basically, you can bait people in there but then just go and delete comments you dont like at will. That is why they had put those rules for the mods in place. You should not be deleting anything in there. If you have to shut the thread down and let another mod or group of mods handle it than great. That i understand. But you should not be deleting anything in there while you are a part of the thread.

10. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

All I know is....NTL rules with an iron fist.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived Nomad For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I smell cover-up already.

Not really, you actually deleted a post on your own accord while partaking in that thread. I was always told that was a no no when a mod is part of the discussion/thread at hand. So basically, you can bait people in there but then just go and delete comments you dont like at will. That is why they had put those rules for the mods in place. You should not be deleting anything in there. If you have to shut the thread down and let another mod or group of mods handle it than great. That i understand. But you should not be deleting anything in there while you are a part of the thread.
    That is not what happened North.
    Bill Williamson:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

That is not what happened North.
    So he didnt delete a post in there? Im confused because that is what he said.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I didn't delete a comment I didn't like. That's not what happened.

I deleted a comment (not yours, so I'm not sure what your beef is exactly) that was an attack after I signposted in the thread.

Do you understand now, or are you just looking to argue?

He deleted a post where Wave called Joe a "stupid old dinosaur". Had nothing to do with any of his posts or discussions.
    Bill Williamson:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

He deleted a post where Wave called Joe a "stupid old dinosaur". Had nothing to do with any of his posts or discussions.
    I called Joe an old Dinosaur, for calling me ignorant. Did he delete Joe's comment? If not, there is bias and goes to exactly what im talking about.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I called Joe an old Dinosaur, for calling me ignorant. Did he delete Joe's comment? If not, there is bias and goes to exactly what im talking about.
    I didn't delete either of these comments. Go look if you'd like.

I'm not going to discuss what I deleted, that wouldn't be appropriate. I didn't "mod" in the thread anything that I was discussing. What I deleted was not directed at me, or by me. It was an attack made after I signposted. That's all the information you require here.

I "moderated" nothing that had to do with the discussion exactly for this reason.

Are you good now?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information