Poll: Which would you rather have under center next year?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Foles or Cousins?

Adopted Bronco:
    Kay Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Jay Grueden IMO is as bad or worse than VJ and he didn't hold Kirk back this season. We'll see.
    Your statement is nonsensical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Day1BroncoFan View Post
    I'm happier than tom brady in a gay bar....

2. The Following User High Fived slim For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Yeah this is why I don't want Foles. He needs to be in the right system to thrive, and this ain't that.
    I'm not sure our "system", such as it is, will allow any QB to thrive. To me the lessons of yesterday's SB were these

1) Nick Foles is a "franchise QB", or;
    2) You really don't need a "franchise QB" to win in this league...if you have a solid roster and above all a top tier offensive line that is able to generate both a good running game and solid pass protection.

Now, I've liked Foles for a while. His 2013 season was almost otherworldly good. Then again, his subsequent record wasn't all that. Or maybe he got disregarded because of his 3rd round draft status, I'm really not sure. He sure played like the real deal yesterday, on the biggest stage he could be on. At a minimum he made himself a wealthy young man yesterday and good for him.

Would he succeed under VJ? Probably not. Nor will Cousins. Or pretty much anyone else I'm afraid
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

4. The Following 6 Users High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
    I'm not sure our "system", such as it is, will allow any QB to thrive. To me the lessons of yesterday's SB were these

1) Nick Foles is a "franchise QB", or;
    2) You really don't need a "franchise QB" to win in this league...if you have a solid roster and above all a top tier offensive line that is able to generate both a good running game and solid pass protection.

Now, I've liked Foles for a while. His 2013 season was almost otherworldly good. Then again, his subsequent record wasn't all that. Or maybe he got disregarded because of his 3rd round draft status, I'm really not sure. He sure played like the real deal yesterday, on the biggest stage he could be on. At a minimum he made himself a wealthy young man yesterday and good for him.

Would he succeed under VJ? Probably not. Nor will Cousins. Or pretty much anyone else I'm afraid
    I think a good enough QB could overcome VJ. I mean, Manning drug a Fox-led team to the super bowl.

I'm not saying cousins is Manning, but the point is a good enough QB can mask poor coaching. Is cousins good enough? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm willing to take the chance.

6. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

*dragged

I point out not to annoy, but to allay any more PED suspicions of Manning.

8. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Charley Johnson

I think a good enough QB could overcome VJ. I mean, Manning drug a Fox-led team to the super bowl.

I'm not saying cousins is Manning, but the point is a good enough QB can mask poor coaching. Is cousins good enough? Maybe, maybe not. But I'm willing to take the chance.
    John Fox is a pretty good coach. Arguably not quite good enough,
    but Fox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> VJ
    “What fresh hell is this?”

"A man who picks a cat up by the tail learns something which he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

10. The Following User High Fived Dreadnought For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Steve Atwater

Foles! A 2nd string QB brought Eagles to Super Bowl and beat the patriots! Kirk Cousins couldn't!

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

If this is the perspective Elway has, though, why bring back VJ at all? I'm assuming he still thinks VJ could work here, so I don't see why he'd hamstring him by limiting the roster.
    Obviously this isn't how Elway is looking at it, it's how I personally hope it goes.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Obviously this isn't how Elway is looking at it, it's how I personally hope it goes.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    Honestly, Foles was cold as ice last night. BUT, while I would love to see him here, he's going to cost 3 arms and 4 legs to get to Denver. Let someone else pay the high stock of draft picks for him.

Cousins may not happen either as Adam Schefter is reporting that the Redskins still plan on franchise tagging Cousins despite trading for Alex Smith because they want to force teams to trade for Cousins.
    This is playing chicken with a guy who has called their bluff 2 straight seasons. If they do this, Cousins does NOT have to play along and negotiate a long term deal with whatever team the Redskins want to trade him to. He can just sit back and collect his $34.6m.

And if he won't negotiate a long term deal because he wants to become a FA and choose his own team, then no team will trade with the Redskins, because they would only be acquiring Cousins for 1 season for $34.6m.

So, if any deal gets done, it will be ONLY because Cousins decided to stop fighting with the Redskins and let them trade him to a team he will pre-select and pre-negotiate a deal with. And then that team will have to acquire his rights by trade with the Redskins.

But, right now he has ZERO incentive to do any of that. He can force their hand if he wants to. And they have no power to force him to do anything. So, the price they get for him from some other team cannot be anything like what they are hoping and angling for - a second round pick or higher.

Can you imagine John Elway offering a high round draft pick for Cousins under this scenario? Me either. He might not be willing to offer any kind of pick at all.

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    Foles ive always thought kind of got a raw deal his first go around in Philly. But even in his return he has had far more talent to work with when it comes to the Eagles than Cousins has had in Wash the last two years despite still putting up numbers. Would i take a chance on Foles if he was the only option left for us outside of a draft pick? Yes. But at this point i would still want Cousins because he seems to be able to make those around him play better and i have yet to see Foles do that.

And lets not forget Gannon. It seems like its starting to click for Foles and Cousins. In the right system and with talent and proper coaching, each can continue to get better.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

17. The Following User High Fived WARHORSE For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by Magnificent Seven View Post
    Foles! A 2nd string QB brought Eagles to Super Bowl and beat the patriots! Kirk Cousins couldn't!
    Foles had a much better team and also didnt have to carry the team an entire year. Dont get me wrong, Foles is decent but lets keep it in proper perspective here.

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

Case Keenum would cost less than Cousins or Foles and be just as effective. I don't want to pay Manning money for any of them.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

I dont think Keenum is going anywhere.

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

And i would rather go with the other two who have proven a lot more than Keenum at this stage.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i kinda like foles, but he's always been up and down. . . i wouldn't want to assume that he's "arrived" now just because of a stretch of a couple good games, regardless of how big the stage. . . especially with as much RPO stuff as they were running. . . it's a pretty gimmicky offense-- good luck if you want to make that your base O long term. . . also, he's not bringing doug pederson with him to call the plays. . . cousins is a more consistent and effective pocket passer, with a better track record of results. . . you will have to pay him more, but you won't have to give up trade compensation to get him (no effing way they tag him). . . if we're going after a vet to reload, rather than a rookie to rebuild, then captain kirk is the guy i want. . .

24. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information