Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Chiefs agree to trade quarterback Alex Smith to Redskins

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I’m just happy that we made a divisional opponent weaker and also removed the “Alex Smith as a potential QB for my Broncos” discussion outright! I was scared we might try to land him and I think he sucks...
    How do you square "he sucks" with "the Chiefs got weaker"?

I think their offense will be as good or improved with Mahomes at QB next year.

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

Why is it that he’s been traded away from 2 teams now if he’s so good? Why did 2 teams draft his replacement and actively look to replace him if he’s a “playoff caliber guy”? What do they know that we don’t?

It makes no sense unless you look past the stats of having a low TD to INT ratio and realize that in order to get that ratio he plays too conservatively. Nobody wants a QB who “just won’t lose you games”. It’s an admirable quality, but sometimes he actually has to win some for you, too. He’s the definition of milquetoast.

Glad he’s not coming here. Rather have almost anyone else.
    Like I said, he isn't elite, but he's not as bad as y'all say. He is talented, athletic, smart with the ball, has a hot wife, and won't lose the game for you. Milquetoast? Sure. But he's not Kyle Orton milquetoast. He's not Trevor Siemien milquetoast, or Brozweiler milquetoast, or Lynch milquetoast. We would have made the playoffs if he was our QB this season. He is underappreciated for what he is.

4. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Of course we're focussed on the Chief's side of this.

But what the heck are the Redskins thinking? I understand not being totally in love with Cousins, but then to marry yourself to Smith in such a way? Seems strange.

6. The Following 3 Users High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Of course we're focussed on the Chief's side of this.

But what the heck are the Redskins thinking? I understand not being totally in love with Cousins, but then to marry yourself to Smith in such a way? Seems strange.
    If you approach it from the lens that they already made a fatal error in not coming to terms with Cousins 2 seasons ago, I don't totally hate the move. Obviously you'd rather just sign Cousins, but that wasn't going to happen this offseason.

What were their other options picking at #15? The money is a little aggressive, but the alternative is that you turn into the 2017 Denver Broncos and get left out in the cold with no viable solutions.

8. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    How do you square "he sucks" with "the Chiefs got weaker"?

I think their offense will be as good or improved with Mahomes at QB next year.
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing Buff..and Horsepower who is "we"? You and Reid? While I kind of hated to see this move and it was predicted to happen but like my son told me they made the move while there is still some trade value with him. He was due 17 million this next season. The Chiefs haven't drafted a QB in forever so I guess we will all see how this works out with Mahomes.

I wouldn't say Smith sucks..he had a great season last year and has always been very good at scrambling. I think perhaps with a better line and better play calling the Chiefs could have done better but who knows. Just wish the fat man would stop thinking he needs to call the plays.

I wll say this was probably the first season that Smith actually aired it out and hit Hill on some long passes.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

We are talking about Alex Smith, right? The guy who has had 2 good seasons, both of which were after his replacement was drafted (2012, 2017). This is the same dude that didn’t throw a TD pass to a WR in a whole season and threw like 15 TD passes last year (2016), right? Same guy? Dude is shit.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

We are talking about Alex Smith, right? The guy who has had 2 good seasons, both of which were after his replacement was drafted (2012, 2017). This is the same dude that didn’t throw a TD pass to a WR in a whole season and threw like 15 TD passes last year (2016), right? Same guy? Dude is shit.
    I'm not even disagreeing, necessarily, I'm just saying that if you believe that... Don't we think that it's possible their offense could be improved next year?

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    I'm not even disagreeing, necessarily, I'm just saying that if you believe that... Don't we think that it's possible their offense could be improved next year?
    Sure, it could be. We’ll see how Mahomes handles it. Typically teams get worse for a while while their young QB is taking his lumps. Alex Smith does one thing well, not throw INTs - and that’s about it.

My entire point here is that I’m ecstatic we won’t be the third team that Smith gets to fleece into thinking, “well he’ll do better here, we can win playoff games with him.” That was my whole point. The fact that people still want to defend the bum as if he’s worth defending is beyond me. Now both Broncos and KC fans want to defend him like he’s earned something? Mmkay....

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Hey, don't look at me, man. I want nothing to do with Smith.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Sure, it could be. We’ll see how Mahomes handles it. Typically teams get worse for a while while their young QB is taking his lumps. Alex Smith does one thing well, not throw INTs - and that’s about it.

My entire point here is that I’m ecstatic we won’t be the third team that Smith gets to fleece into thinking, “well he’ll do better here, we can win playoff games with him.” That was my whole point. The fact that people still want to defend the bum as if he’s worth defending is beyond me. Now both Broncos and KC fans want to defend him like he’s earned something? Mmkay....
    The only reason I don't feel the exact same as you is because we've seen that an elite defense can carry a team to a super bowl with average QB play. We did it. The Jags came within a couple minutes of doing it this year. So I wouldn't have slit my wrists if he would have come here...

That said, Ryen Russillo had some great stats on Smith on his podcast this week that kind of get at the heart of your criticism - the dude doesn't throw the ball down field at all, is risk averse to a fault, and takes too many sacks. I don't think Elway is ever going to fall in love with that type of QB.

15. The Following User High Fived Buff For This Post:

Anyone who says Smith is shit just really needs to lower expectations.

Shit is what WE put out there last year. That was absolute garbage.

Smith has NEVER put out shit. Now is he franchise? No, I will agree on that, but he is a good QB. It isn't just shit or great, you can be good while not being great...

17. The Following 2 Users High Fived Rick For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information