Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs agree to trade quarterback Alex Smith to Redskins

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

So, the redskins "upgraded" from Kirk Cousins to Alex Smith, by paying an older smith around the same money they refused to pay the proven/established cousins 2 years ago.

What a dumb organization.

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    So, the redskins "upgraded" from Kirk Cousins to Alex Smith, by paying an older smith around the same money they refused to pay the proven/established cousins 2 years ago.

What a dumb organization.
    And gave up Kendall Fuller and a draft pick in the process

Damn, yeah that contract is way more then what I was expecting Smith to get. This means Cousins is going to cost a fortune! #omg #caphell
    "Oh I’m sorry, did I break your concentration?”
    Jules Winnfield - Pulp Fiction

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by DenBronx View Post
    Damn, yeah that contract is way more then what I was expecting Smith to get. This means Cousins is going to cost a fortune! #omg #caphell
    Not really. A 5/135 with 80 guaranteed and back-loaded shouldn't kill us. But, that is the price for winning now and not waiting until 2020. Plus, we can double our current available cap space with some smart cuts and restructuring.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Cousins has proven he's a 20mil a year guy. That's just sorta the bottom for any decent QB nowadays.

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I’m just happy that we made a divisional opponent weaker and also removed the “Alex Smith as a potential QB for my Broncos” discussion outright! I was scared we might try to land him and I think he sucks...

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I’m just happy that we made a divisional opponent weaker and also removed the “Alex Smith as a potential QB for my Broncos” discussion outright! I was scared we might try to land him and I think he sucks...
    While I didn't want smith in a broncos uni, I'm not convinced that this makes the chiefs "weaker". They definitely got the better deal out of the trade. If Mahomes is even decent, this move likely makes them stronger.

Jury still out on him though.

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
    4h4 hours ago

Alex Smith is the first QB to lead the NFL in touchdown-to-interception ratio (26 TD, 5 Int, a 5.2 ratio) in one season and then change teams the following season, per Elias.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

There was talk midway about Smith for league MVP. He had a great year. Makes me lol about how very few are buying him as elite though, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Not really. A 5/135 with 80 guaranteed and back-loaded shouldn't kill us. But, that is the price for winning now and not waiting until 2020. Plus, we can double our current available cap space with some smart cuts and restructuring.
    Depends. If it's 80-90 in the first three years (potentially higher) with most or all of it guaranteed, that will be hard to swing and also keep current players and sign upcoming free agents. Not saying it isn't doable, but not simple.

Players typically don't accept the back loaded contracts anymore, unless there is huge signing bonus that makes cutting them in the latter years hard or undoable. Farther, now that big guaranteed dollars are becoming the norm, there is far less money to back load. Unless you are guaranteeing into the fourth or fifth year, it is nearly mathematically impossible to both backload and give big guarantees (which are usually the first two or three years).

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    There was talk midway about Smith for league MVP. He had a great year. Makes me lol about how very few are buying him as elite though, myself included.
    I think he's not seen as elite, because he's not seen as a guy that's going to put up big numbers or win without a pretty strong supporting cast. Not quite a system guy, but also think far from elite.

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

He's not elite, but the Chiefs were in the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years he was there. People write him off way too easily.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    If you assume there is no way the Chiefs would trade Smith to the Broncos, which I think would have been the best option for Broncos, but that Chiefs wouldn't do, it does mean Cousins is definitely moving on.
    Let's hope the Browns remain the Browns in their personnel decisions. The smart thing for them
    to do might be to gain the services of Cousins, then use their #1 and #4 first-rounders to fill
    other holes. If they figure that out, the Broncos might find themselves in quite a bidding war.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    He's not elite, but the Chiefs were in the playoffs 4 out of the 5 years he was there. People write him off way too easily.
    Why is it that he’s been traded away from 2 teams now if he’s so good? Why did 2 teams draft his replacement and actively look to replace him if he’s a “playoff caliber guy”? What do they know that we don’t?

It makes no sense unless you look past the stats of having a low TD to INT ratio and realize that in order to get that ratio he plays too conservatively. Nobody wants a QB who “just won’t lose you games”. It’s an admirable quality, but sometimes he actually has to win some for you, too. He’s the definition of milquetoast.

Glad he’s not coming here. Rather have almost anyone else.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Glad he’s not coming here. Rather have almost anyone else.
    Well, to be fair, almost anyone else not already on the roster.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information