Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roger Goodell 'concerned' with catch rule, pushing for change

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default Roger Goodell 'concerned' with catch rule, pushing for change

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is pushing to change the league's notorious catch rule this offseason, a response to nearly a decade of complaints from coaches, players and fans about its counterintuitive nature.

"I'm not just somewhat concerned [about the rule]," Goodell said in an interview with FS1's "The Herd with Colin Cowherd." "I am concerned."
    rest, plus Goodell talking about this with Colin - http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...h-rule-changed

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 4 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

It's hurting the game. The rules for interpreting what a catch is, when put into action, should not feel like a law school short answer question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    It's hurting the game. The rules for interpreting what a catch is, when put into action, should not feel like a law school short answer question.
    Did you hear the one about when a group of lawyers are the most popular people in the room? When they are surrounded by NFL referees....

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived Tned For This Post:

That was much funnier when the voices in my head told me that joke.

8. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    That was much funnier when the voices in my head told me that joke.
    I chuckled. I wish the good work lawyers do was more publicized. It'd be a less hated profession, I think. But that's a different topic.

The catch rules, when there's a challenge, just make fans groan. It's dreaded.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

I chuckled. I wish the good work lawyers do was more publicized. It'd be a less hated profession, I think. But that's a different topic.

In my business, lawyers are invaluable. But with us it's legal, regulatory, etc. I have a great relationship with lawyers. The greatest. You don't know anyone that has a greater relationship with lawyers than I do....

It's beyond time for it to change. Every time they try and tweak it to make it more clear, they make it worse. It's a joke at the moment. They would be far better off rolling it back to possession and two feet down and NO review than the cluster that it is now.

11. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

In my business, lawyers are invaluable. But with us it's legal, regulatory, etc. I have a great relationship with lawyers. The greatest. You don't know anyone that has a greater relationship with lawyers than I do....

It's beyond time for it to change. Every time they try and tweak it to make it more clear, they make it worse. It's a joke at the moment. They would be far better off rolling it back to possession and two feet down and NO review than the cluster that it is now.
    Well said.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Did you hear the one about when a group of lawyers are the most popular people in the room? When they are surrounded by NFL referees....
    oh shit, where's spiker?

#ShotsFired

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Could you represent me in a lawsuit against all of the lawyers who cause me emotional duress by bombarding the airwaves with "public awareness announcements" that just about everything I come in contact with could kill me?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

15. The Following User High Fived FanInAZ For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Honestly, with how far and detailed it’s gotten I just don’t see how they can go back now. With 50 HD camera angles and super slo mo, you can typically determine it pretty easily under the current rule. It sucks when the call goes against your team, but it is what it is. Really, the only way I see this going is one of two ways:

1) they make it un-challengeable. The call on the field is law. The fans would be up in arms if it’s clearly not a catch on replay and I can’t see them doing it based on the money they’ve already spent on the cameras just for these calls.
    2) if the ball hits the ground at all, moving or not, or comes out when the receiver goes down, it’s incomplete. The whole process of the catch and did it move, etc would be wiped out and there’d be a lot more passes called incomplete but it would be an easier rule to enforce.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of and most people won’t like them either.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    Honestly, with how far and detailed it’s gotten I just don’t see how they can go back now. With 50 HD camera angles and super slo mo, you can typically determine it pretty easily under the current rule. It sucks when the call goes against your team, but it is what it is. Really, the only way I see this going is one of two ways:

1) they make it un-challengeable. The call on the field is law. The fans would be up in arms if it’s clearly not a catch on replay and I can’t see them doing it based on the money they’ve already spent on the cameras just for these calls.
    2) if the ball hits the ground at all, moving or not, or comes out when the receiver goes down, it’s incomplete. The whole process of the catch and did it move, etc would be wiped out and there’d be a lot more passes called incomplete but it would be an easier rule to enforce.

Those are the only 2 things I can think of and most people won’t like them either.
    1. I definitely think they could rethink the ball hitting the ground. It used to be if it hit the ground it was no catch, now they determine if the ground helped with the catch, and it's not even as black and white as it was a few years ago which is did it move when it hit the ground. Now, we are even seeing movement and them still deeming the receiver had control. So, one option is reverting to the old rule, which is if the receivers hands aren't between the ball and the ground, then no catch.

2. Sideline/endzone sideline, get rid of the "football move" and control after hitting the ground and instead make it possession and two feet down, period, on the sideline. If you have control, get two feet down and go to the ground and when you slam the back of your head against the ground the ball comes out, it's still a TD (or catch on a sideline play outside the endzone). Basically, in the endzone, possession and two feed down is a catch, period and same going out of bounds on the sideline and it doesn't matter what happens when you land out of bounds.

3. In the field of play, when becoming a runner after catching the ball, revert to the old rule of possession and two steps. If you get blown up and lose the ball after one step, incomplete. If after two steps, fumble.

4. In the field of play, when catching the ball, but not taking two steps, if you catch the ball and then go to the ground and are in possession when your knee or other part of the body that would equal being down, then it's a catch and play is over if you've been touched. Likewise, if you have the ball, have both feet down and don't take two steps, but the ref deems forward progress has stopped, then it's a catch.

5. In the endzone (not going out of bounds), if you catch the ball and have two feet down, it's a TD, period. If they are going to the ground and have control when both feet hit or any other body part that would equate to being down (a butt cheek), then it's a TD, even if you lose the ball after the "ground causes the fumble."

On two and five above, some can argue that it wasn't really control if the ground knocked it out, but that's the rabbit hole that started this tortured mess of annually "tweaking" the catch rule. It needs to be simplified and clear so that the refs can more consistently call it and when we have ex heads of referees on network TV, they can say with certainty how the replay is going to come out. The fact they get it wrong half the time tells us that the rule is so screwed up that it can't be called consistently by the refs on the field.

An imperfect rule, that can be administered uniformly around the league and that fans understand, is far better than the current approach of trying to come up with a perfect rule, which has led to great inconsistency in calls and reviews.

3. In the field of play, when becoming a runner after catching the ball, revert to the old rule of possession and two steps. If you get blown up and lose the ball after one step, incomplete. If after two steps, fumble.
    Get rid of the crap about "did he control the ball all the way to the ground? Was the ball moving when it made contact? Was his hand under the ball or not?" Those are all the garbage problems that cause them to have to squint at replay under the hood and look at multiple angles for 2 minutes at a time. Nobody can celebrate a catch because "was it a catch? Was the ball moving? Was their indisuputable evidence?" Blah, blah, blah!

Of course the chances Godell modifies the rule and they don't end up making it more complex and worse is just zero. Every time they change anything they screw it up worse.

Whenever they have a guy on with color guys, like mike perarria, or whomever the head of referring is....they always get the call right.

They need to do it like they do in hockey. Take if out of the refs hands and let the mike perraria guy do it. If they arent sure they make a quick call to toronto. The head guy reviews it there and makes the call. Boom. done. Easy. No different interpretations. just consistency from each catch and game all the way through.

Do it likehockey and be done.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

I want them to limit video replay to full speed. They can use as many angles as they have available, but nothing in slow-mo or zoom in. I believe this would eliminate a lot of the bullshit.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

For the love of all things holy change the god damn pass interference rule. If it's P.I., make it a 15 yard penalty (like in college). Too many cheap wins have come at a cost because a player has gone down too easily or because it's shoddy officiating. You don't deserve to be on the team's goal line because Tom Brady threw the football 60 yards to the goal line and the receiver was interfered with.

The way the NFL is these days, you may as well throw a hail mary every play and hope you get P.I., it will happen more often then you think.

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information