Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Roger Goodell 'concerned' with catch rule, pushing for change

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Honestly, I don’t think they’ll change it. I also don’t think if they did and just went back to 2 feet down or 2 steps or a “football move” or whatever that it’s ever just gonna be good enough. With modern technology and 50 angles of replayed super slo mo the fans will always know the truth. It will always be in the eye of the beholder and skewed by them.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Isn't that essentially what they moved to last year, all reviews are primarily done at NFL HQ and the Ref on the field is more incidental and reporting the results?
    Yes, and now it's slower than ever. Perhaps the NFL is cheap and they have slow internet speeds and screen lag! YOu can just see the replay official swearing at his computer: "Damn laggy connection! Now I have to refresh my screen! This is taking forever! [whack! whack!]"

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Adam Schefter
    ‏Verified account @AdamSchefter
    57m57 minutes ago

NFL’s competition committee is meeting today in Indianapolis to try to simplify the catch rule, and sources are “expecting some kind of change with added clarity” to the rule before or during March owner’s meetings, per a person familiar with those talks.

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Competition Committee studying targeting, QB protections, catch process, and ‘non-football illegal acts’ for potential rule changes

http://www.footballzebras.com/2018/0...-rule-changes/

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    1. I definitely think they could rethink the ball hitting the ground. It used to be if it hit the ground it was no catch, now they determine if the ground helped with the catch, and it's not even as black and white as it was a few years ago which is did it move when it hit the ground. Now, we are even seeing movement and them still deeming the receiver had control. So, one option is reverting to the old rule, which is if the receivers hands aren't between the ball and the ground, then no catch.

2. Sideline/endzone sideline, get rid of the "football move" and control after hitting the ground and instead make it possession and two feet down, period, on the sideline. If you have control, get two feet down and go to the ground and when you slam the back of your head against the ground the ball comes out, it's still a TD (or catch on a sideline play outside the endzone). Basically, in the endzone, possession and two feed down is a catch, period and same going out of bounds on the sideline and it doesn't matter what happens when you land out of bounds.

3. In the field of play, when becoming a runner after catching the ball, revert to the old rule of possession and two steps. If you get blown up and lose the ball after one step, incomplete. If after two steps, fumble.

4. In the field of play, when catching the ball, but not taking two steps, if you catch the ball and then go to the ground and are in possession when your knee or other part of the body that would equal being down, then it's a catch and play is over if you've been touched. Likewise, if you have the ball, have both feet down and don't take two steps, but the ref deems forward progress has stopped, then it's a catch.

5. In the endzone (not going out of bounds), if you catch the ball and have two feet down, it's a TD, period. If they are going to the ground and have control when both feet hit or any other body part that would equate to being down (a butt cheek), then it's a TD, even if you lose the ball after the "ground causes the fumble."

On two and five above, some can argue that it wasn't really control if the ground knocked it out, but that's the rabbit hole that started this tortured mess of annually "tweaking" the catch rule. It needs to be simplified and clear so that the refs can more consistently call it and when we have ex heads of referees on network TV, they can say with certainty how the replay is going to come out. The fact they get it wrong half the time tells us that the rule is so screwed up that it can't be called consistently by the refs on the field.

An imperfect rule, that can be administered uniformly around the league and that fans understand, is far better than the current approach of trying to come up with a perfect rule, which has led to great inconsistency in calls and reviews.
    New rule is pretty close to what I was hoping for.

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

MO....you're not going to like this.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-the-end-zone/

Saw this on facebook. I like this rule. Not perfect but a far better and easier to understand rule.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-an...b-936f037dc017

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information