Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Looks like Talib is gone

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by NightTrainLayne View Post
    Okay, we do.

But who matters who wants to pay his salary next year? Unfortunately, nobody with a sign-on here will be signing checks to Talib next year. The article states 3 GMs at the senior bowl don't think it's worthwhile to trade for his contract.
    That leaves 28 other GMs. All depends on which ones they asked. If you need a top flight corner he's well worth the price.

What game was it that Talib missed? How did that secondary look?

Adopted Bronco:
    Paul George

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    That leaves 28 other GMs. All depends on which ones they asked. If you need a top flight corner he's well worth the price.
    I'm not arguing with you.

My initial post said, "interesting".

If another team values him at his contract. . .. then we'll have some pieces in trade to assuage the loss. If nobody else does and we cut him. . .. then I have to legitimately question if he's worth his contract.

4. The Following User High Fived NightTrainLayne For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

I'm not arguing with you.

My initial post said, "interesting".

If another team values him at his contract. . .. then we'll have some pieces in trade to assuage the loss. If nobody else does and we cut him. . .. then I have to legitimately question if he's worth his contract.
    Even then I wouldn't until I see what his contract looks like elsewhere

6. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    Have you read this thread? The majority of people who have posted in it seem to think he is worth what he s paid.
    He's going to get a lot more than he's being paid now ($12m). What you have to understand is that he isn't worth more to the Broncos because they drafted Roby in the first round, and are paying him $8.5m. Nobody pays their #3 CB $8.5m. Once Roby's contract entered it's last year they were never going to keep Talib. I've been saying this for months all of you kept arguing with me and attacking the idea.

He's younger, and from the first they drafted him to take Talib's place. He's entering the last year of his contract and Talib is over 30 and on the downside of his career. Talib's going to get one more contract. The Broncos had to choose which of them they wanted to keep and they obviously chose Roby, as the younger and cheaper player who is growing into his new role as a starter. They will give him a new contract and keep him around for another 4 years.

This is exactly how the NFL works, always. Teams are always looking to replace their older players with younger cheaper players.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-28-2018 at 06:23 PM.

The problem with trying to trade Talib is that everybody knows the Broncos are going to cut him, so they just wait until he's cut and sign him as a FA without paying the Broncos anything. If they don't do that he's only under contract for them for 1 more year, and they'd be trading for a 1 year player. Then they would have to re-sign him to an extended contract or franchise him (too expensive). Signing him to an extended contract give him the opportunity to demand market value.

So, they might as well not give up anything and just negotiate a cap friendly deal (large signing bonus) for him in the first place.

Adopted Bronco:
    The Albino Rhino

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/b...lary-concerns/

The video lists how the Broncos could double their available cap by doing the following:

* Trade or release Aqib Talib - 1 million in dead money.
    * Trade or release Menelike Watson.
    * Trade or release C.J. Anderson
    * Restructure Von Miller
    * Restructure DT or Emanuel Sanders.
    I miss the old Mile High Stadium.

The bottom line is that the Broncos have to get rid of the strong personalities in the locker room because the coach isn't strong enough to handle them. Expect Talib and Sanders to both be gone by the beginning of the season.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

This seems inevitable. He has the lowest cap penalty of the Broncos' high-salaried players.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    This seems inevitable. He has the lowest cap penalty of the Broncos' high-salaried players.
    That is the reason. Not whether Aqib is worth it or not. He's the 14th highest paid CB and I'd take him over nearly everyone on the list that is paid more.

He might restructure, who knows. I'm not hopeful, but it's possible.

13. The Following User High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

So, nobody else thinks he worth what we're scheduled to pay him this year?

Interesting.
    It's not what Talib is worth. It's what the Broncos can afford. They're trying to clear room for a
    quarterback, whose position is always worth more than that of a CB.
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    That is the reason. Not whether Aqib is worth it or not. He's the 14th highest paid CB and I'd take him over nearly everyone on the list that is paid more.

He might restructure, who knows. I'm not hopeful, but it's possible.
    Right, I think he’s worth the money, and yet I understand why he might go. My feeling is he won’t want to restructure because he’s smart enough to understand his window of being a top dollar corner is short.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

I'm sorry, but you just don't make a move like this. Dismantling your strength is not how to make yourself competitive.

I am not a believer in Roby.

Guess it doesn't matter....this team isn't going to be competitive under Joseph anyways.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I'm sorry, but you just don't make a move like this. Dismantling your strength is not how to make yourself competitive.

I am not a believer in Roby.

Guess it doesn't matter....this team isn't going to be competitive under Joseph anyways.
    The Patriots make moves like this all the time. They feel it's better to cut a player a year too early than a year too late, and it tends to work quite well for them.

The NFL is becoming more and more a young man's game with the rookie wage scale. Veterans are getting pushed out earlier and earlier across the league. It's just the way of things now.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The Patriots make moves like this all the time. They feel it's better to cut a player a year too early than a year too late, and it tends to work quite well for them.

The NFL is becoming more and more a young man's game with the rookie wage scale. Veterans are getting pushed out earlier and earlier across the league. It's just the way of things now.
    Problem is we don't have BB, any kind of resemblance to a working NFL system, or Tom Brady.

22. The Following 5 Users High Fived Mike For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information