Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: If we do draft a quarterback, what are you looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    There are reports that VJ will be fired.
    Oh, he will. Eventually. The question is when.

"If they get a veteran QB like Cousins and the team starts 1-4 or something, obviously the coach will be in trouble." -- Broncos Insider Mike Klis.

Conversely, if they start a rookie QB there will probably be more leeway because you cannot expect the team to just roll out there and instantly compete with a rookie.

Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    And the Jets are building a nice young team, but I really think the details with offers to Cousins will be minimal. The Jets and even Cleveland for that matter arent going to throw 30 mil at Cousins just because they can. Dorsey and McCagnan are pretty savvy GM's and like Elway, they know what

Cousins value is and I dont expect any team to get past 27 mil. If they do...they can have him. Now...Cleveland and the Jets can offer more in up front money than we can, but then you get into semantics and what value that up front money holds over the potential for immediate success in Denver. If Cousins gets 4 offers (CLE, DEN, WAS, NYJ) that are relatively the same and ends up going with the one that gives him a few extra bucks (in NFL terms), then we know what he was after all along.
    A few million bucks is not a few bucks, even in NFL terms. Cousins, like every other player in the NFL will go where the money is. That's what kind of player he is. That's what any sensible player will do.

The only exceptions to this rule is when you have a HOF QB like Manning or Brady, and some players who have already made a lot of money and are nearing the end of their careers, and just want to win a championship (like DeMarcus Ware) are willing to go somewhere for below market dollar just to win now.

Denver is not ready to win SBs right now this season, whether they get Cousins or not. They have all kinds of holes to fill and are going to trade Aqib Talib, which means their defense will be worse.

Since 2015 the defense will have lost: Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan, TJ Ward, Wade Phillips, and now Talib from the SB championship team. It's a completely different defense now, and not nearly as good.

Mike Klis also talked about the team moving to get rid of Emanuel Sanders in a salary dump move too. I don't know if this is going to happen. I would imagine if they land Cousins he's going to want some veteran WRs to throw to, but if the starter next season is Baker Mayfield or something they might as well just clean house and start over with younger players, because that is not a team built to win now anyway.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Oh, he will. Eventually. The question is when.

"If they get a veteran QB like Cousins and the team starts 1-4 or something, obviously the coach will be in trouble." -- Broncos Insider Mike Klis.

Conversely, if they start a rookie QB there will probably be more leeway because you cannot expect the team to just roll out there and instantly compete with a rookie.
    Hello Captain Obvious.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

4. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Well, if we do start 1-4, it will only be VJ's second year on the job, so we probably should take it easy on him.

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    Well, if we do start 1-4, it will only be VJ's second year on the job, so we probably should take it easy on him.
    You can argue that, but Elway nearly fired VJ after 1 season. He's not going to survive a slow start, at least if they get a veteran QB like Cousins.

That would mean "we think we're ready to compete for SBs now and we need a re-boot not a re-build". So, if that's their assessment of how talented they are, if VJ fails to win games and especially if they get blown out, he won't last long.

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    You can argue that, but Elway nearly fired VJ after 1 season. He's not going to survive a slow start, at least if they get a veteran QB like Cousins.

That would mean "we think we're ready to compete for SBs now and we need a re-boot not a re-build". So, if that's their assessment of how talented they are, if VJ fails to win games and especially if they get blown out, he won't last long.
    Really?

Why must you type Broncos Insider? Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Brian Griese

I want to get excited about the idea of landing Kirk Cousins or a promising young QB but then I realize we have VJ as our head coach

10. The Following 5 Users High Fived tripp For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by tripp View Post
    I want to get excited about the idea of landing Kirk Cousins or a promising young QB but then I realize we have VJ as our head coach
    I'm all done getting excited about a promising young QB. That was Paxton Lynch. I was excitedly waiting for him to show some of the signs of promise all the experts talked about at the draft. Only it never happened. He never showed any signs at all and still hasn't.

What drafting a rookie and starting him means is at least 2 more losing seasons. And having VJ isn't going to help. I'm not convinced Jay Gruden is some awesome coach. It could be he sucks and Kirk Cousins has kept his job and we'll see that in 2018 after they suck with Alex Smith. Kirk Cousins has played at a pretty high level for 2 years with pretty bad talent around him.

So, it's likely he could do well here. The defense wouldn't get worn down every game until they started leaking like a sieve in some games. It looked like they had concluded that the offense was so terrible that no defensive effort would be enough and kind of gave up.

That would be understandable. They go out and struggle to stop teams, and then the offense comes right back out and turns the ball over. (Isiah McKenzie for instance).

Adopted Bronco:
    GENERAL GEORGE PATON

1. Can he read defenses on the fly, process moving information? Number one without a doubt.
    2. Is he a student of his opponent? Will he put in the time it takes to learn every single tendency that he can take advantage of on gameday?
    3. Competitiveness? He needs to HATE to lose.
    4. Accuracy and touch. Placement.
    5. Leadership/work ethic/retain playbook.
    6. Poise in the face of pressure.
    7. Pocket presence/pocket movement.
    8. Setting up defenses-looking off safeties-selling plays-deception
    9. Arm strength.
    10. Durable.
    11. Athleticism.
    12. Wants to win more than wanting to get uber rich.
    IN PATON I TRUST.

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    Why must you type Broncos Insider? Why?
    Because It Annoys You? Dilly Dilly!

"Broncos Insider" is some kind of title btw. Check the 9news web site and you'll see.

Lamar jackson in the 3rd.... hoping... also hoping VJ gets fired... wow our QBs last year make Kyle Orton and Jake Plummer seem like HOF qbs.. what a bad year it was.. sad to say but the browns offense was more exciting than ours..

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Denver27og View Post
    Lamar jackson in the 3rd.... hoping... also hoping VJ gets fired... wow our QBs last year make Kyle Orton and Jake Plummer seem like HOF qbs.. what a bad year it was.. sad to say but the browns offense was more exciting than ours..
    Well, Jake Plummer was the 3rd best QB we've ever had so....

Lamar Jackson might be a great 3rd WR for us.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Well, Jake Plummer was the 3rd best QB we've ever had so....
    it's not saying much for a franchise that's only had two good quarterbacks. . .

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    it's not saying much for a franchise that's only had two good quarterbacks. . .
    Three...

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information