Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: If we do draft a quarterback, what are you looking for?

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Default If we do draft a quarterback, what are you looking for?

i absolutely think kirk cousins is our Plan A, and that we're going to go all-in to get him. . . but there's no guarantee we'll land him, and a very good chance that we'll be spending a high draft pick on another QB prospect if we don't. . . as we all know, that is a dicey proposition at best. . . there are so many factors that have to be evaluated-- you rarely ever find a guy who checks all the boxes. . . with that said, which traits do you value the most? rate these attributes from one (highest) to nine, in terms of which you'd personally prioritize the most when looking at college QBs. . .

Arm talent - The ability to make all the throws. The velocity to consistently and effectively push the ball down the field in the vertical passing game, and force the ball through the tightest windows at the intermediate level. The ability to put the 20-yard out to the sideline on a dime.

Mental acuity for the game - On-field decision-making skills. The ability to read defenses, go through progressions, and process info rapidly. Can he learn schemes and playbooks quickly, and consistently audible into good looks?

Accuracy, touch and timing - Does he deliver the ball on time? Can he throw receivers open? Does he have consistent ball placement, and the ability to throw through windows, and deliver a catchable ball that hits receivers in stride so they can run after the catch?

Mobility and athleticism - Is he a dual threat guy who can make plays with his legs? Can he escape the pocket and run for first downs? Does he throw accurately on the run?

Pedigree and college production - Did he play in a pro style offense? Did he play against inferior competition? Did he win games, awards, championships?

Intangibles - Toughness, leadership and work ethic. Are you getting a team captain? Is the guy coachable?

Height and frame - Does he have the size and build of a prototypical "stand tall in the pocket" QB? The build to survive NFL hits?

Mechanics and release - How polished is his footwork? Does he have a compact delivery? Slow windup, or funky arm angle?

Durability and medical history - Did he miss games at the college level, or is he a three-year starter who never missed time? Does he have knee or shoulder surgeries on his resume?
    Last edited by dogfish; 01-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

A good one.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following 3 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

The opposite of Paxton Lynch's football talent.

6. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    A good one.
    thanks, joe. . .

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by aberdien View Post
    The opposite of Paxton Lynch's football talent.
    so, short with a weak arm?

9. The Following 2 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    so, short with a weak arm?
    Baker Mayfield?
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

11. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I really had to think about this. I used to be a sucker who drooled over the prototype big armed guy. Seen too many of them wash out. Here’s my list:

Arm talent - (4). It is important in that you must force the defense to defend every blade of grass. Accuracy and timing are more important, though. A popgun arm won’t cut it, but he doesn’t need a howitzer either.

Mental acuity for the game - (3). He doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist. Football isn’t rocket science. Siemian and Fitzpatrick are smart, but they suck at playing QB in the NFL. I guess the word is “coachable”. He must learn how to read a defense and execute the playbook. Some freelancing is okay. Too much spells disaster. He needs to be a “professional” and work to become an expert at his craft.

Accuracy, touch and timing - (1). Number one thing for me. Accuracy is everything these days. It’s amazing what a difference it makes to throw guys open or lead guys through a route. It maximizes YAC and minimizes the chance of pass break-ups.

Mobility and athleticism - (7). It’s a plus but not a requirement. Pocket awareness is more important than pure scrambling ability. I’d rather have a Marino or Brady pocket magician than Deshaun Watson.

Pedigree and college production - (6). This is a tough one for me because although it doesn’t matter a whole lot, I want a guy who is a winner. Who came from a program that won because of him, not just while he was there. I want a guy who knows how to win and played his college ball with fire. Who wants to be a HOFer not just a millionaire NFL QB. I think they develop a little of that in college.

Intangibles - (2). This is my second most important thing. He must be mentally tough, ready to work, and willing to lead. The team should look to him to make plays and lead them to wins and never give up until the final whistle blows.

Height and frame - (9). Don’t care at all. Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are proof that it don’t matter.

Mechanics and release - (8). I honestly don’t think it’s all that important. Bernie Kosar and Phillip Rivers have awkward throwing motions. Hell, even Rodgers is more sidearm than true over the top these days. Getting it where it needs to go is more important than looking pretty doing it. Even a slow windup can be compensated for by quick decision making.

Durability and medical history - (5). Depends on the injury. If he has a history of concussions, no thanks. If he has issues with his throwing shoulder, count me out. If he tore an ACL once scrambling for a TD, unless half his game is scrambling, I don’t care as long as he’s healed.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 01-22-2018 at 08:02 PM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

13. The Following 9 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

A QB that can pass protect.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    A QB that can pass protect.
    thank you, shazam!

lol, seriously though-- we have more than one draft pick, plus that free agency thing. . . it's entirely possible to find a QB and make improvements to the line. . .

16. The Following User High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Sorry dog, after reading your traits I see overlap so I'm going to relabel. Here is the order of importance for me.

Accuracy - (low ball dispersion across hundreds of in-game throws)

Production - separate from individual traits, how well has this individual showed an ability to put *everything* together within a team construct and achieve results, and what are the quality of those results in light of the degree of difficulty/handicap. I rank this highly because it's reliable and captures the sum of all traits plus their application, but you have to tease out production in light of circumstances.

Grit/Hate in his heart - Does not give up under duress and in face of extreme adversity. A la Aaron Rodgers.

Work ethic/coachability - Likes to collaborate with coaches and players, loves to grind, constantly dissatisfied with current level of craft.

Mental acuity for the game - (fast-twitch brain, problem solving ability)

Touch/Timing/Pocket situational awareness - Anticipation + Spatial Reasoning (but distinct from accuracy) -- vital trait for any lasting NFL elite status, but improves with experience--hard to judge from what they do in college

Arm talent - (raw velocity)

Leadership / selflessness - Creates teams that play for each other (I think grit/work ethic if present can supplant this trait--deeds not words). Humor + humility + cockiness, locker room stuff.

Athleticism/escapability/mobile platform (balance + strength) - MMA/wrestler's poise, demonstrates anti-leverage techniques to avoid the sack, makes throws on the run

Mechanics and release - How polished is his footwork? Does he have a compact delivery? Slow windup, or funky arm angle?

Height and frame - Does he have the size and build of a prototypical "stand tall in the pocket" QB? The build to survive NFL hits?

Durability and medical history - Did he miss games at the college level, or is he a three-year starter who never missed time? Does he have knee or shoulder surgeries on his resume?

Running back ability - self-explanatory, but all those RB things--shifty, vision, fast, burst, brutal style

That's how I'd rank them, but I think my son has a better ranking system: don't get tackled and pass good.
    Last edited by Hawgdriver; 01-22-2018 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    thank you, shazam!

lol, seriously though-- we have more than one draft pick, plus that free agency thing. . . it's entirely possible to find a QB and make improvements to the line. . .
    Not being a college football fan, I don't know much about the QBs, but in general.

If we are going with a QB in the top 5, then we can't really afford a project. It needs to be a QB that can be NFL ready sooner than later. We don't have a quality vet to carry the team for a season or two.

It needs to be a big, mobile QB, because the Broncos have shown no ability in recent years to field a line capable of pass blocking.

No question I would love to have a guy that can throw it 60 yards down field, across his body, while scrambling, but that's really not a necessity, just something we would like to have.

While I could care less about the type of QB he is, what is key is having a guy that has the mentality to bring the team back when down by 7 with two to play.

Great thread Dog! Here's my ratings:

1. Mental acuity for the game - This has to be first and foremost. This is the one quality that every great QB has without exception.
    2. Intangibles - This is something that cannot be taught. Either a QB has this quality or they don't.
    3. Accuracy, touch and timing- All of the arm strength in the world won't do you any good if you can't hit your receiver. See Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf.
    Now we get into the bonus qualities-
    4. Mechanics and Release- While these can be coached, by the time players get to the NFL they will always revert to muscle memory when the heat is on. See Tim Tebow.
    5. Arm talent - This is not a necessity, but it is a huge bonus. Arm talent is the one of the main qualities that made Elway effective before he learned how to be accurate. Joe Montana and Tom Brady never had howitzers, and never needed them.
    6. Mobility and athleticism - Another bonus is today's NFL, with the speed of defensive players in this era. The ability to extend a play has always been a back breaker to a defense.
    7. Height and frame- It's nice to be able to see over the offensive line, but Drew Brees and Russell Wilson have shown us that a QB can play at a high level while being vertically challenged.
    8. Durability and medical history- I don't care as much about medical history as much as I do durability. You can't win a game in the trainer's room.
    9. Pedigree and college production - History has shown us that college production is not necessarily a must for success in the NFL. Elway was 20-23 at Stanford. He won more games than any QB in the history of the NFL when he retired. Joe Montana completed a whopping 52% of his passes at the college level.

20. The Following 6 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

I know it sounds so old school and unscientific but maybe first and foremost is that they've got to be a natural leader, love the game, and be the hardest worker in the building type of guy. You can't be a great football team with a QB who is punching the clock. You can't be a great QB and not be a great leader. It's the most important position in professional sports - the guy should want to embrace that role.

Beyond great character and work ethic is accuracy, pocket awareness (natural feel), escapability and then arm strength.

Guys like Brady and Peyton are so rare who can compensate for a lack of mobility with their ability to make the right decision almost every play. Guys like Rodgers and Russell Wilson who can beat you from the pocket, on the edge and running are the ideal model. Going back to being able to attack every blade of grass - QB mobility is pretty much essential.

It seems like I just wrote down a bunch of cliches - another way to look at it is by addressing all the fatal flaws of our current QBs to avoid those traits:

--Siemian - Not durable, not mentally tough (folded like a tent when the going got tough), not a natural leader. [Pros: Hard worker, smart, quick release and adequate mobility]
    --Brock - Inaccurate, too slow, too lumbering, telegraphs too many throws with long delivery. [Pros: Good teammate, good leader, strong arm, durable
    --Paxton - Aloof, immature, inaccurate, not durable. {Pros: Good mobility for his size, good arm strength]

Toughness and durability should probably get a fairly heavy weighting too.

22. The Following 3 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Mental Acuity
    Accuracy
    Arm talent
    Intangibles
    Durability
    Mobility
    Mechanics
    Pedigree
    Height/frame
    Let's Rid3!!!!

24. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

I want a gunslinger type in the form of Stafford or Rogers type of guy. Yeah I know. Good luck.

Someone fun and exciting to watch. Someone who can come from behind if needed.
    Bill Williamson:

"The Broncos went from one of the more attractive organizations in the NFL to one in total disarray. McDaniels will go down as one of the most reviled figures in Denver sports history".

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information