Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: If we do draft a quarterback, what are you looking for?

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'll take a QB with Peyton's mind, Elway's arm, Vick's speed, Favre's durability and Brady's work ethic. That's not too much to ask is it?

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'll take a QB with Peyton's mind, Elway's arm, Vick's speed, Favre's durability and Brady's work ethic. That's not too much to ask is it?
    I dont want any piece of Brady. I'll take Peyton's mind and work ethic .

4. The Following 2 Users High Fived Davii For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Does he come with a Tackle?
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Does he come with a Tackle?
    No, but Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack will be happy to share some of their extra tackles with him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    I dont want any piece of Brady. I'll take Peyton's mind and work ethic .
    I tried to make it one attribute per QB. Say what you want about Brady, but dude worked his ass off to get to where he started as a QB prospect to where he is now. You can hate him all day (and trust me, I do), but you can't deny his work ethic.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    The QB that comes closest to checking off ALL of these boxes is Lamar Jackson

Adopted Bronco:

It's been hit on in a few responses, but aside from the obvious choice of general talent (NFL arm strength, accuracy, mind for the NFL game), the most important trait is the intangibles. Can he lead, does he have passion, desire to win, ability to improvise, etc. I think these are the things Elway forgot to look for in the draft since he's been in charge.

So, find a QB with a unique combination of Rosen and Jackson's skills, along with Mayfield's intangibles and Allen's size and you might just have the perfect QB. The real trick is deciding which negatives you can live with.

10. The Following 6 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by HORSEPOWER 56 View Post
    I really had to think about this. I used to be a sucker who drooled over the prototype big armed guy. Seen too many of them wash out. Here’s my list:

Arm talent - (4). It is important in that you must force the defense to defend every blade of grass. Accuracy and timing are more important, though. A popgun arm won’t cut it, but he doesn’t need a howitzer either.

Mental acuity for the game - (3). He doesn’t have to be a rocket scientist. Football isn’t rocket science. Siemian and Fitzpatrick are smart, but they suck at playing QB in the NFL. I guess the word is “coachable”. He must learn how to read a defense and execute the playbook. Some freelancing is okay. Too much spells disaster. He needs to be a “professional” and work to become an expert at his craft.

Accuracy, touch and timing - (1). Number one thing for me. Accuracy is everything these days. It’s amazing what a difference it makes to throw guys open or lead guys through a route. It maximizes YAC and minimizes the chance of pass break-ups.

Mobility and athleticism - (7). It’s a plus but not a requirement. Pocket awareness is more important than pure scrambling ability. I’d rather have a Marino or Brady pocket magician than Deshaun Watson.

Pedigree and college production - (6). This is a tough one for me because although it doesn’t matter a whole lot, I want a guy who is a winner. Who came from a program that won because of him, not just while he was there. I want a guy who knows how to win and played his college ball with fire. Who wants to be a HOFer not just a millionaire NFL QB. I think they develop a little of that in college.

Intangibles - (2). This is my second most important thing. He must be mentally tough, ready to work, and willing to lead. The team should look to him to make plays and lead them to wins and never give up until the final whistle blows.

Height and frame - (9). Don’t care at all. Drew Brees and Russell Wilson are proof that it don’t matter.

Mechanics and release - (8). I honestly don’t think it’s all that important. Bernie Kosar and Phillip Rivers have awkward throwing motions. Hell, even Rodgers is more sidearm than true over the top these days. Getting it where it needs to go is more important than looking pretty doing it. Even a slow windup can be compensated for by quick decision making.

Durability and medical history - (5). Depends on the injury. If he has a history of concussions, no thanks. If he has issues with his throwing shoulder, count me out. If he tore an ACL once scrambling for a TD, unless half his game is scrambling, I don’t care as long as he’s healed.
    Agree with this post especially the accuracy portion.

I'm kind of on the Kirk or Baker or bust bus personally, but no matter who we get, as long as they aren't a goofy immature doofus like Lynch, I'll give them my support until they prove to be not worth it.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I'm kind of on the Kirk or Baker or bust bus personally, but no matter who we get, as long as they aren't a goofy immature doofus like Lynch, I'll give them my support until they prove to be not worth it.
    Agreed. But with the caveat that if we want to win and be competitive the next 2 years, then it's Cousins or nothing. If we're okay with a longer window, then really any of the QB's in this draft would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i absolutely think kirk cousins is our Plan A, and that we're going to go all-in to get him. . . but there's no guarantee we'll land him, and a very good chance that we'll be spending a high draft pick on another QB prospect if we don't. . . as we all know, that is a dicey proposition at best. . . there are so many factors that have to be evaluated-- you rarely ever find a guy who checks all the boxes. . . with that said, which traits do you value the most? rate these attributes from one (highest) to nine, in terms of which you'd personally prioritize the most when looking at college QBs. . .

Arm talent - The ability to make all the throws. The velocity to consistently and effectively push the ball down the field in the vertical passing game, and force the ball through the tightest windows at the intermediate level. The ability to put the 20-yard out to the sideline on a dime.

Mental acuity for the game - On-field decision-making skills. The ability to read defenses, go through progressions, and process info rapidly. Can he learn schemes and playbooks quickly, and consistently audible into good looks?

Accuracy, touch and timing - Does he deliver the ball on time? Can he throw receivers open? Does he have consistent ball placement, and the ability to throw through windows, and deliver a catchable ball that hits receivers in stride so they can run after the catch?

Mobility and athleticism - Is he a dual threat guy who can make plays with his legs? Can he escape the pocket and run for first downs? Does he throw accurately on the run?

Pedigree and college production - Did he play in a pro style offense? Did he play against inferior competition? Did he win games, awards, championships?

Intangibles - Toughness, leadership and work ethic. Are you getting a team captain? Is the guy coachable?

Height and frame - Does he have the size and build of a prototypical "stand tall in the pocket" QB? The build to survive NFL hits?

Mechanics and release - How polished is his footwork? Does he have a compact delivery? Slow windup, or funky arm angle?

Durability and medical history - Did he miss games at the college level, or is he a three-year starter who never missed time? Does he have knee or shoulder surgeries on his resume?
    1. Mental Acuity - if you're not a smart Qb, you only will get if you're a once in a generation talent. The position demands so much from a QB that if you're tops here and just average in terms of physical ability, you'll be fine. We've seen far more great minds make up for a lack of talent than talent make up for a lack of mind.

Accuracy - It's not just hitting the easy throws, or the touche passes. It's the little things like leading a WR so he can make a sharp turn off of a drag, thus netting him more YAC. Or throwing up a fade that only the WR can get, but also not making it damn near impossible. Basically, all the little things that Aaron Rodgers does all the time.

Mechanics - If you don't have good mechanics you're probably inconsistent, which will cut into your accuracy, and when you're under pressure you'll be likely to **** up that much more. Muscle memory is a thing. It's the lamest and easily most boring thing to talk about for QB's, but it matters.

Arm Talent - Make not mistake, the HoF has far more 'cannons' than 'peashooters'. It matters. It's not just chucking the long ball, but being able to hit the deep outs and sideline throws. When the weather is nasty, or you have to put more 'oomph' on the ball becuase you have a defender in your face. We've seen a lot of franchises draft a guy just off of his arm and that usually causes an implosion. Because of that, we sort of undervalue the arm. When you have a guy with a weak arm, and he has to put everything into a throw, you're ******. Look at the loser TS for instance.

Intangibles - Remember when they said Eli wasn't a leader? Then he won a SB and he was a 'quiet leader'. That stuff matters, albeit it's sometimes overblown. I have this too high, probably, but who you are as a person matters a lot.

Durability and medical history - so this is highly important, but I ranked it lowered because it's football and you might have a great medical history before you get into the league and then boom.

The rest I'm too lazy to type.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

When I went through this exercise all signs pointed to Baker and it troubled me.

I think Rosen and Darnold are probably also fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    When I went through this exercise all signs pointed to Baker and it troubled me.

I think Rosen and Darnold are probably also fine.
    My issue with Darnold is I will never, ever, ever trust a USC QB. They are ALWAYS fool's gold. EVERY TIME! I don't think Rosen will be there at our pick.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Carson Palmer was a top notch QB from time to time.

He also might be an outlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

My issue with Darnold is I will never, ever, ever trust a USC QB. They are ALWAYS fool's gold. EVERY TIME! I don't think Rosen will be there at our pick.
    Palmer, Carr, Leinart, Marinovich could have been elite in the right situation. Palmer had an OK run. Carr got eviscerated and had a hard time in the NFL without his intestines. Leinart felt entitled. Marinovich lacked desire. All of them were legit choices unless you knew that Leinart and Marinovich weren't as hungry as the NFL needed.

Sanchez...fools gold.

Kessler, Barkley ... not considered elite prospects.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information