Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Broncos reportedly could be top landing spot for Tyrod Taylor

Default Broncos reportedly could be top landing spot for Tyrod Taylor

Nicki Jhabvala of The Denver Post reported on Friday that many are pegging the Broncos as the top landing spot for the Buffalo Bills quarterback if he is released or traded, as expected. Jhabvala also notes Taylor’s connection with Broncos executive Gary Kubiak, who was previously the former Pro Bowler’s offensive coordinator on the Baltimore Ravens.

Denver’s QB play was atrocious last season — their trio under center of Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, and Brock Osweiler always seemed to be injured, totally inept, or some combination of both. As for Taylor, he endured a rough year in Buffalo where he put up his career-worst numbers as a starter and was briefly benched for Nathan Peterman before his season came to a painful end.

Taylor, 28, will be owed a $10 million base salary for 2018 and a $6 million roster bonus due in March. But in any case, he probably has at least the raw talent to make a short-term difference for the Broncos after their 5-11 2017.
    I don't see this as anything but speculation, but I post it for what it is worth.

In this scenario, Denver would be starting Tyrod Taylor and eschewing trying to land Kirk Cousins for $30m, and then drafting a QB with their top 5 draft pick and developing that guy. Taylor would start until the guy is ready.

They would pay him less than $20m potentially, which is pretty low QB money these days. And he wouldn't be guaranteed a long term starting job. But, he could compete and could wind up starting for the next 2 years if he's able to fend off the rookie, the way that Trevor beat off the feeble efforts of Paxton to be the starter.

I'd say this is a high risk strategy in that it might backfire horribly, but it would cost a lot less. If Elway were committed to saving money on his QB, then he might go in this direction, and forget about paying over $20m a year to Cousins or Bridgewater or AJ McCarron - or in some Bizarro Universe where the Chefs were willing to let Alex Smith come to Denver, Alex Smith.

On the other hand, Taylor would be another example of "Overachieving 7th round QB" and you have to question his limitations. I see this as a "meh" move. Neither horrible, like Sam Bradford, nor great, like Cousins.
    Last edited by Cugel; 01-14-2018 at 03:32 PM.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Tyrod Taylor and Baker Mayfield.

Championship.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Seems like a lot of money to pay Taylor.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Not in favor of this plan.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

5. The Following 4 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Always King87

Hopefully this is just a rumor.

I definitely wouldn't look at Taylor as a long term solution, but as a couple year stop gap along with trying to develop a young guy? Maybe. I would rather have Alex Smith than Taylor, but I will say that Taylor doesn't throw many INTs, which is good.

I think it has to be Cousins, and probably pick an OL with the first pick, possibly dominant defender, or something like a Smith/Taylor and draft a QB in the top 5.

Any of the routes above could be successful or a complete failure, unfortunately.

He's a very good bridge QB if you're going to spend the 5th pick on a young gun. Taylor brings mobility and he's one of the best QB's in the league at not turning the ball over. Denver has won the last 33 games that they won the turnover battle in. This D is good enough to beat any team when Denver wins the +/- battle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Broncos target him if they fall in love with a QB at the senior bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazam! View Post
    Seems like a lot of money to pay Taylor.
    Sam Bradford is getting $18m. I'd rather have Taylor. Any starting NFL QB is going to get around $20m now if he doesn't totally suck. If he does suck, then he should be a backup and get nothing like $15m.

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Not in favor of this plan.
    I’m not either, but he’s better than anyone we have, and at least he takes care of the ball. We probably would have won 10 games this last year if we had him

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

I, for one, am looking forward to the carousel of other losing teams' castoffs coming in over the next few years. Starting with Taylor seems a fine cog in that spinning horsey machine.

12. The Following 2 Users High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by wayninja View Post
    I, for one, am looking forward to the carousel of other losing teams' castoffs coming in over the next few years. Starting with Taylor seems a fine cog in that spinning horsey machine.
    The bills were a playoff team this year...

Adopted Bronco:
    Josey Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    I definitely wouldn't look at Taylor as a long term solution, but as a couple year stop gap along with trying to develop a young guy? Maybe. I would rather have Alex Smith than Taylor, but I will say that Taylor doesn't throw many INTs, which is good.

I think it has to be Cousins, and probably pick an OL with the first pick, possibly dominant defender, or something like a Smith/Taylor and draft a QB in the top 5.

Any of the routes above could be successful or a complete failure, unfortunately.
    Well, with Taylor as a couple years' stopgap, that could put a competent QB in place while
    they found out what they already have in Lynch and Kelly, neither whom they honestly
    still know little about, and/or go ahead and roll the dice for a QB in the draft. It would seem
    to me that what they really need is a veteran to keep the ship afloat while the youngsters
    duke it out behind him? Just a thought . . .
    Though He slay me, I will trust in Him . . . (Job 13:15)

15. The Following User High Fived topscribe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'd rather have cousins, but Taylor isn't a bad plan B. He's leaps and bounds better than anything we have now.

17. The Following 3 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    only Von

If Bridgewater is unavailable/unfeasible, then I'm all for getting Taylor. Use the first round pick for a lineman, draft Falk in the 2nd.

19. The Following User High Fived aberdien For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Bridgewater scares me. Dude hasn't played in 2 years now, and he was just really starting to show his potential when he went out. Who knows if he will ever even get back to that level. I think I'd rather go with someone like Taylor where we at least know what we're getting. Bridgewater would be too much of a wildcard for my taste.

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information