Page 20 of 160 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: Off-Season Notes, press conferences, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Krugan View Post
    I think cousins goes to the jets, and im not going to cry about it.

Thats a big number, and at some point you still have to build and or keep a defense....
    I actually really HIGHLY doubt it. That would be like going to the Browns. If he takes that deal, then the jokes on him because his career is over. He'll be better record wise than he was in Washington with the Jets. They don't have the ability to field a competitive team.

If he doesn't come here, I see him going to Minnesota. I'll be ok with it if it happens, but obviously I'd prefer him here. I'm ready for some stability at the QB position so we can start focusing on other areas of need. The Jets are desperate, if he gets enticed by them throwing money out of him in desperation, then he isn't the type of player we need here in Denver anyway.

2. The Following User High Fived Freyaka For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I actually really HIGHLY doubt it. That would be like going to the Browns. If he takes that deal, then the jokes on him because his career is over. He'll be better record wise than he was in Washington with the Jets. They don't have the ability to field a competitive team.

If he doesn't come here, I see him going to Minnesota. I'll be ok with it if it happens, but obviously I'd prefer him here. I'm ready for some stability at the QB position so we can start focusing on other areas of need. The Jets are desperate, if he gets enticed by them throwing money out of him in desperation, then he isn't the type of player we need here in Denver anyway.
    Minnesota? They already have four quarterbacks.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

4. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Absolutely, I did it for another thread (Can't remember if it was this forum or the other one)

As of right now, we're at $26 million in cap. (this is all via over the cap)

Restructuring Von could get us up to $13.5 million back (depends on how they restructure, it's probably not going to be quite that high)
    DT would net us about $3.7
    Talib $4.9
    Sanders $5.2

Cuts
    Watson $4.5
    TS $1.9

That is $57.9, if we also cut Anderson (which has been reported that he's likely to get cut/traded) That's another $4.5

That's $62 mil. Now, I will grant you, that's all rough estimations, it depends on how they restructure each player, but that's basically losing two pieces of dead weight (Watson/TS) and Anderson. That's it, all the rest could still stay. Then say we give Cousins $30 mil, that' leaves $32 mil to resign guys that need it, bring in some FA's and pay rookies.

It's doable. And that's just one option, there are other routes the team could take, we could cut Talib instead of a restructure and then it's $67, if they wanted to post June-1 cut Sanders then we're at $71 mil.

I understand peoples reservations about paying KC as much as he's likely going to command, but we can make it work.
    Throwing random numbers out is not doing the math. So, are these straight salary cuts? Extending them, and giving big signing bonuses to offset drop in salaries?

How exactly do you go from a 22 million cap to 13 million with Von? How do you cut Talib's cap nearly in half?

Also, you are cutting Watson's salary, but that assumes we don't have find a replacement RT. There are also Bronco UFA's/RFA's that will need to be signed or sign replacements.

So, I think the 60 million is pie in the sky, but the team will need something close to that to sign cousins, rookies plus resign UFA/RFA's and other FA's.

6. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Isn't Sloter the only one under contract? They could franchise Keenan, but as it stands now, I think Keenan, Bradford and Bridgewater are all UFAs.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    Isn't Sloter the only one under contract? They could franchise Keenan, but as it stands now, I think Keenan, Bradford and Bridgewater are all UFAs.
    Apparently so. I thought at least Bridgewater and Bradford were under contract.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

9. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Um, they have ONE qb. Sloter. None of their other QBs are under contract. Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford are ALL free agents. They'd have to work out a deal or tag one of them.

Um, they have ONE qb. Sloter. None of their other QBs are under contract. Bridgewater, Keenum and Bradford are ALL free agents. They'd have to work out a deal or tag one of them.
    I’m glad Minnesota was smart enough to keep him

12. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    All of them!

So your requirement for a QB is they have to have won a superbowl to be worth paying for? If so, you are looking at a very short list and most of them area already under contract and will not be available.

Foles 1 win
    Brady 4 wins
    Manning 1 win (retired)
    Russel Wilson 1
    Joe Flacco 1 win
    Eli Manning 2 win
    Drew Brees 1 win
    Ben Rothlesburger 1 win

That's your list for the last decade. Lots of very solid QB's are not on that list. Only one of those QB's two of those QB's MIGHT be available, one of them is really old, the other has one good season as a starter and a SB MVP.
    If memory serves, Brady is the 17th highest paid QB. I don't think he's ever been paid top 10 money, but given his SB appearances he deserves it. So why does Brady have so many SB wins (and even more appearances)? Could it be that he gives up money on his paycheck so the team can attract talent around him? Hmmm...

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived The Glue Factory For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Introducing: Special Teams Coordinator Tom McMahon
    Get to know the Broncos' new special teams coordinator, his philosophies and his expectations heading into his first season in Denver.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...5-2944a1a255d6

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    DT

Quote Originally Posted by Tned View Post
    The difference is that some that get the highest ever, are arguably the best or one of the best. There is a lot of doubt in this regard related to Cousins. He is arguably the best free agent on the market, but few would argue he's the best QB in football.

Like I said, I'm torn. If we were talking Brees, Rivers, etc., I would have zero problem mortgaging the future, but this is a big roll of the dice with roulette odds rather than blackjack odds like you would get with a Brees, Rivers, PFM, etc.
    This is the first healthy, young, pro bowl QB that I recall hitting the open market. This is an anomaly, no doubt about it, but he's going to set the market and every QB worth a shit after him will get more.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

So your requirement for a QB is they have to have won a superbowl to be worth paying for? If so, you are looking at a very short list and most of them area already under contract and will not be available.

Foles 1 win
    Brady 4 wins
    Manning 1 win (retired)
    Russel Wilson 1
    Joe Flacco 1 win
    Eli Manning 2 win
    Drew Brees 1 win
    Ben Rothlesburger 1 win

That's your list for the last decade. Lots of very solid QB's are not on that list. Only one of those QB's two of those QB's MIGHT be available, one of them is really old, the other has one good season as a starter and a SB MVP.
    Jesus, do you watch football?
    Brady has won 5
    Manning won 2
    Big Ben won 2
    Let's Rid3!!!!

19. The Following User High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Davii View Post
    This is the first healthy, young, pro bowl QB that I recall hitting the open market. This is an anomaly, no doubt about it, but he's going to set the market and every QB worth a shit after him will get more.
    Absolutely, he was always destined to get the highest salary ever, regardless of where that line got drawn, because he's a free agent in his prime. As I've mentioned mulitple times, Schwab said shortly after the season started that he was likely to get 30+ a year, because it's unprecedented to have a free agent like him.

Here's PFF's take on him (obviously rated as the number one offensive free agent):

Cousins put forth a mediocre effort, at best, this past season for the Redskins, finishing with an overall grade of 78.9, or 19th in the league. Cousins struggled under pressure in 2017, fielding the league’s 20th-ranked passer rating under pressure at 66.3 and clearly, he was not the same quarterback after losing his two most valuable weapons in DeSean Jackson and Pierre Garcon from the 2016 season. Where he should thrive is on a team with a supporting cast already built, preferably one with a strong offensive line that can keep him upright and give him a chance to throw from a clean pocket.
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...it-free-agency

They say he can thrive on a team with a supporting cast, especially a strong offensive line that can keep him upright and let him throw from a lean pocket. Does that sound like the Broncos?

Now, it's possible they sign him, draft that big guard at five, and then pick up a free agent RT or draft a RT early in the second and for the first time in half a decade or longer we have an offensive line that fits that description.

Again, I've never said getting him would be a bad move, just that I'm torn and nervous, because he's not yet shown that he's elite or that he can win despite the team that's around him.

21. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

He had a bad line and very few weapons and was 19th to 20th. We've seen QB's in a better situation do far worse on this team.

Cousins isn't going to take guys who are just bad at the game and make them look good. He's not truly great. But, by that same token, maybe three guys in the league do that now?

For the record, I think you make a great point.

But, the Eagles surrounded Wentz, a physical god, with great offensive talent. Brady has Gronk, the best RB stable in football, Cooks, and solid tertiary threats. Big Ben has the best WR and RB in the game.

We will be paying money to see what (hopefully) what Cousins can do with a strong overall team - he's never really had that before. He's somewhere between good and almost great. He's essentially Matt Ryan without the hot start to the career.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

23. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    He had a bad line and very few weapons and was 19th to 20th. We've seen QB's in a better situation do far worse on this team.

Cousins isn't going to take guys who are just bad at the game and make them look good. He's not truly great. But, by that same token, maybe three guys in the league do that now?

For the record, I think you make a great point.

But, the Eagles surrounded Wentz, a physical god, with great offensive talent. Brady has Gronk, the best RB stable in football, Cooks, and solid tertiary threats. Big Ben has the best WR and RB in the game.

We will be paying money to see what (hopefully) what Cousins can do with a strong overall team - he's never really had that before. He's somewhere between good and almost great. He's essentially Matt Ryan without the hot start to the career.
    As long as we can fix the line, which could include the guard at 5 and either a free agent RT or early round pick (or both), and the hope that Musgrave putting forth a better offensive scheme than we've seen the last few years, and it could work.

It's going to require either Elway gutting the team for cap space, or doing what he hasn't done before, and that's mortgaging the future, risking large amounts of future dead money.

My gut, like many other people, is that Elway wants Cousins. At least he knows what he has with Cousins, where any QB in the draft will be a roll of the dice.

25. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

P.S. Anyone else think the primary motivation for trading Siemian this offseason is Elway fears that Siemian will win the job out of camp again, this time over Cousins?
    Last edited by Tned; 02-21-2018 at 08:02 PM.

27. The Following User High Fived Tned For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information