Thread: When considering Baker Mayfield, don't forget about Chad Kelly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip, Demaryius, Derek, Shane, Von,

Default When considering Baker Mayfield, don't forget about Chad Kelly

ENGLEWOOD—One argument against the Denver Broncos drafting Baker Mayfield is that in Chad Kelly they already have Baker Mayfield.

Kelly and Mayfield share some strikingly similar characteristics. They’re both on the shorter side of ideal quarterback size with Kelly standing 6-foot-2 and Mayfield listed at 6-1. They both are from the athletic mold of quarterback where they can pick up first downs with their legs. They both succeeded at big-time college programs with Kelly playing big for Mississippi against Alabama in back-to-back years and Mayfield putting up extraordinary numbers while lifting Oklahoma past Ohio State and Oklahoma State.

And they both have a streak of combativeness within their confident personalities.
    rest - http://www.9news.com/article/sports/...y/73-507744397

Thanks to MasterShake for my great signature
    Rest in Peace - Demaryius (88) - Darrent (27) - Damien (29) - Kenny (11)
    #7 - JOHN - #44 - FLOYD - #80 - ROD
    THIS ONES FOR JOHN
    WOULD YOU RATHER WIN UGLY, OR LOSE PRETTY?

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived Denver Native (Carol) For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

“I mean we’ve seen about every single coverage this year. You’ve got to perfect the offense but also you have to study the defense and know where you’re going with all your reads and stuff.’’
    This tells me all I need to know about the difference between Kelly and Lynch. Kelly gets it! I’m not advocating for Kelly, just mentioning that he gets what is important.

Lynch said at the end of the year said he didn't know yet what he would work on this offseason. Newsflash! How about getting with someone and studying your ass off on learning/identifying your pre and post snap reads.

I was a big Lynch supporter. He had his opportunities and failed to put in the necessary work to take advantage of them. Even when he was injured, he should have at least put in overtime learning to read defenses. Not saying I know for sure he didn't but the are several reports that mention he only put in his time during the day and be gone from the facility once meetings and practices were over. Kid doesn't really want to be the MAN.

Time for the team to acknowledge their mistake and move on.
    Last edited by Traveler; 01-13-2018 at 03:02 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users High Fived Traveler For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Cool!

Let's just not consider Baker Mayfield!
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

6. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Dangerous Freedom Lock

Mayfield is a bust

8. The Following User High Fived ShaneFalco For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Meck

When considering Chad Kelly, don't forget about Jordan Taylor.

10. The Following User High Fived wayninja For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    KJ Hamler

For whatever reason, unless Denver takes him at #5, I get the feeling Mayfield gets a 2nd round grade.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    For whatever reason, unless Denver takes him at #5, I get the feeling Mayfield gets a 2nd round grade.
    Since every single year QBs shoot up the draft board during the pre-draft process, you have very little chance of being right. NFL scouts predict that as many as 5 QBs will be taken in the first round. Mayfield will be one of them.

But, of course, the Broncos shouldn't be blind-sided this time like they were with Paxton Lynch. They are coaching the Senior Bowl so they get to actually coach all the top QB prospects, including Mayfield and Josh Allen and see how well they understand NFL concepts. They also get to see them running actual live NFL drills.

The other teams get to see the video, but the Broncos coaches get to sit down and actually coach these college athletes and that might be the best experience they could get. Instead of a canned interview for a short time, they will have them around for 1 week.

Doesn’t Kelly have more arm talent than Baker? Kelly can make all the throws from what I’ve seen.

14. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Kelly has the whole off-season to get coached up and hopefully has the mindset to work in the off-season and impress during camp.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information