Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: DT could be a free agent March 14th

Default DT could be a free agent March 14th

Thomas' contract contains a $4 million option bonus due by the last day of the league year on March 14. If the Broncos decline to exercise it, the final two seasons of Thomas' contracts are voided, making him a free agent. The dead money makes this interesting. It would be $4.4 million less a $1.33 million cap charge already absorbed for one-third of the bonus.

Translation: the dead cap money would be $3.07 million. Is that a manageable figure? It's a fair question if the Broncos want to allocate their money differently this offseason. Thomas, 30, is due to make $8.5 million in base salary next season
    https://www.thedenverchannel.com/spo...esting-wrinkle

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Brilliant idea, freeing up enough cap space so we can overpay a QB by cutting one of our only 2 reliable receivers.

#championship
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

I heard this earlier today. Sportrac had DT listed as a $15m cap hit, which is prohibitive, but $3.5m is clearly doable. They could ask him to reduce his salary, and he might do it. That is a likely scenario.

They apparently tried to trade him during the season, but failed to find a buyer.

If he goes, people are going to be sad af when they realize how good ES actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

5. The Following 2 Users High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    Brilliant idea, freeing up enough cap space so we can overpay a QB by cutting one of our only 2 reliable receivers.

#championship
    Yea, because we won a Championship because of him...errr wait. lmao

7. The Following User High Fived Northman For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    We have won playoff games on his back, doe.

If his departure gets us the ability to sign Cousin, or go ham in FA then it be what it be.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

9. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

I'd be ok with it. He isn't getting any younger.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoWave View Post
    I'd be ok with it. He isn't getting any younger.
    This is also fair.

I hate it.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

13. The Following 4 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

i think he's gone if he doesn't restructure, and it's probably the right move. . .sorry, MO. . . IMO, he has lost a step, and isn't worth that contract anymore. . . that doesn't change the fact that he's the only thing close to resembling a number one receiver on this roster, and our already pathetic excuse for an offense is likely to sink even lower without him. . . sadly, it's sounding like talib day's are probably numbered as well. . . time stops for no man. . . it looks to me like we're still paying for that super bowl win, and ultimately i'm okay with that. . .

but the FO's inability to draft quality talent is about to get badly exposed if we do in fact lose guys like DT, talib, CJ or sanders. . . because we don't seem to have adequate replacements in the pipeline for any of them aside from roby stepping in for aqib, and we don't have anyone ready to replace roby on the depth chart. . . we got by with existing talent and free agents for a while, but you can only ride that horse so long. . . the failure of high picks like packin' lunch, osweasel, montee ball, hillman, heuermann, latimer, schofield and samfrailo has set this franchise back in a major way, and we're going to end up as a bottom dweller if they can't do better than that going forward. . . i was really disappointed that they didn't do anything more to beef up the FO than increasing gary's role. . . if we can't do better in this draft, they have no choice but to bring in some outside help if we want to stay relevant. . . your drinking buddies aren't getting it done, john. . .

15. The Following 7 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Phillip "TD" Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by Northman View Post
    So you believe that we can win a SB with Cousin only throwing the ball to Sanders?
    I’m an Autistic Self-Advocate. If you have any questions about Autism/Asperger’s, feel free to ask. I’m not offended by any question asked by anyone who has a genuine desire to understand us better.

https://aacphoenix.com/

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    i think he's gone if he doesn't restructure, and it's probably the right move. . .sorry, MO. . . IMO, he has lost a step, and isn't worth that contract anymore. . . that doesn't change the fact that he's the only thing close to resembling a number one receiver on this roster, and our already pathetic excuse for an offense is likely to sink even lower without him. . . sadly, it's sounding like talib day's are probably numbered as well. . . time stops for no man. . . it looks to me like we're still paying for that super bowl win, and ultimately i'm okay with that. . .

but the FO's inability to draft quality talent is about to get badly exposed if we do in fact lose guys like DT, talib, CJ or sanders. . . because we don't seem to have adequate replacements in the pipeline for any of them aside from roby stepping in for aqib, and we don't have anyone ready to replace roby on the depth chart. . . we got by with existing talent and free agents for a while, but you can only ride that horse so long. . . the failure of high picks like packin' lunch, osweasel, montee ball, hillman, heuermann, latimer, schofield and samfrailo has set this franchise back in a major way, and we're going to end up as a bottom dweller if they can't do better than that going forward. . . i was really disappointed that they didn't do anything more to beef up the FO than increasing gary's role. . . if we can't do better in this draft, they have no choice but to bring in some outside help if we want to stay relevant. . . your drinking buddies aren't getting it done, john. . .
    Sounds like you want us to just hit pure rebuild mode, which I don't blame you for.

Adopted Bronco:
    Drew Lock

Thanks for the memories DT. Good luck, and i hope you go to the NFC.
    "I may not be a mathematician, but I can count to a million." - Shannon Sharpe

Adopted Bronco:
    Mister Cobble

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post

100% agree with all of this. Mo is going to get pissy at you for your DT take, but it's the correct one. He's either lost a step, has stopped caring, or both. Dude just disappears way too much for what he's getting paid. I'd love to keep him if he'd be willing to restructure, but we'll see if that happens. Harder to convince a guy to restructure when it doesn't look like you're gonna be contending for a Super Bowl any time soon, though. If he's gonna take a paycut, he'll probably take it somewhere with a chance to win. Or he'll just go to some shitty team that will throw another big contract at him.

As for the rest, totally agree on that as well. We have like 6 of the first 100ish picks this year. Elway has never needed to nail a draft more than he needs to nail this one.

20. The Following User High Fived BroncoWave For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Ray Finkel

Quote Originally Posted by FanInAZ View Post
    So you believe that we can win a SB with Cousin only throwing the ball to Sanders?
    No.

But having a guy like DT is a waste if you dont have a QB who can actually get him the ball. But, a good QB can always elevate players around them, wide receivers not so much. At this point in time Denver needs a QB more than one good receiver.

22. The Following 4 Users High Fived Northman For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information