Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by chazoe60 View Post
    Keenum does intrigue me though. I have watched very little non Broncos football but when I did watch it this year it always seemed to be the Vikings and Keenum really impressed me every time. He is going on a solid season of starting now versus a guy like AJ who has started three games three seasons ago.
    which is why they're going to keep him. . . and develop sloter as their backup-- watch, doubters. . .

2. The Following 3 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

My ranking of desirability is
    1. Cousins and draft Nelson
    2a. Figure out a way to land a Rosen or Darnold or even Mayfield if Elway thinks he's ready now and just put him right in the fire.
    2b. Keenum and a developmental 2nd-4th round type of guy and draft OL.
    3. Taylor, Smith etc and a Mayfield/Allen type.

I was holding onto very slim hopes that Luck and the Colts' relationship was beyond repair and we could trade for him(dream scenario) but the McDaniels hire (jokes aside) probably makes that even small hope dwindle to nothing.
    Last edited by chazoe60; 01-16-2018 at 04:09 PM.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

My ranking of desirability is
    1. Cousins
    2. Figure out a way to land a Rosen or Darnold or even Mayfield if Elway thinks he's ready now and just put him right in the fire.
    3. Keenum and a developmental 2nd-4th round type of guy
    4. Taylor, Smith etc and a Mayfield/Allen type.

I was holding onto very slim hopes that Luck and the Colts' relationship was beyond repair and we could trade for him(dream scenario) but the McDaniels hire (jokes aside) probably makes that even small hope dwindle to nothing.
    Keenum led his team to the #2 seed and will almost certainly be tagged by the Vikings if no deal can be worked out.

Alex Smith is under contract with the Chiefs and would cost a draft pick, and carries a whopping $20 million cap number. Plus, he's not really a game-changing quarterback, think Kyle Orton 2.0. He's an option for the Jets or Browns with massive cap space, but not really an option for us. I legitimately would rather sign Jay Cutler again for a 1-year stopgap than touch average Alex Smith.

Tyrod Taylor is still under contract with Buffalo, and for all the speculation about his future, I'm still not sold that the Bills cut him and join the quarterback free agency sweepstakes.

All of the options suck, honestly. Maybe Shurmur ditches Eli in favor of one of his guys in New York, and that would be great for us if we could grab him.

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

Quote Originally Posted by UnderArmour View Post
    Keenum led his team to the #2 seed and will almost certainly be tagged by the Vikings if no deal can be worked out.

Alex Smith is under contract with the Chiefs and would cost a draft pick, and carries a whopping $20 million cap number. Plus, he's not really a game-changing quarterback, think Kyle Orton 2.0. He's an option for the Jets or Browns with massive cap space, but not really an option for us. I legitimately would rather sign Jay Cutler again for a 1-year stopgap than touch average Alex Smith.

Tyrod Taylor is still under contract with Buffalo, and for all the speculation about his future, I'm still not sold that the Bills cut him and join the quarterback free agency sweepstakes.

All of the options suck, honestly. Maybe Shurmur ditches Eli in favor of one of his guys in New York, and that would be great for us if we could grab him.

Nobody is going to pay Alex Smith's number next year. Teams know the Chiefs can't pay him with Mahomes ready to take over which will force them to cut him. So he won't cost a draft pick or $20 million.

Here's the thing - I am not excited by Smith. Nobody is excited by Smith... But for the sake of discussion, if we don't sign Cousins, Smith actually makes some sense as a temporary stopgap type of solution who can manage games and allow the defense to shine - and likely wouldn't come with the exorbitant salary of a Cousins or Brees. His skillset seems to fit better than a Brees or Manning type who will win you some games, but also throw their share of INTs and have more physical limitations...

In short - you're absolutely nuts if you want Cutler over Smith - and while I completely agree that he's the most underwhelming name out there - he actually makes some sense for our team as currently constructed.

6. The Following 4 Users High Fived Buff For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    In short - you're absolutely nuts if you want Cutler over Smith - and while I completely agree that he's the most underwhelming name out there - he actually makes some sense for our team as currently constructed.
    You hit the nail on the head there. He makes perfect sense if we want another Griese/Orton/Siemian type that perennially falls short of the playoffs. We have an offensive roster that's constructed to not make plays and fall short, so he'd be a perfect fit here.

Under no circumstances should Alex Smith be anywhere near our roster, and I would be completely disappointed heading into the draft with him as our #1 option. I would probably puke if we sent KC any kind of draft pick for him, and it is entirely possible the team plays chicken til the very end with him. Make no mistake, the Chiefs have the leverage to get a draft pick for Smith due to savings they can get in other players. The Chiefs can force Derrick Johnson to take a pay cut(or cut him for $8 million savings), and cut Tamba Hali($8 million savings), plus they have other deals to restructure if needed.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

You hit the nail on the head there. He makes perfect sense if we want another Griese/Orton/Siemian type that perennially falls short of the playoffs. We have an offensive roster that's constructed to not make plays and fall short, so he'd be a perfect fit here.

Under no circumstances should Alex Smith be anywhere near our roster, and I would be completely disappointed heading into the draft with him as our #1 option. I would probably puke if we sent KC any kind of draft pick for him, and it is entirely possible the team plays chicken til the very end with him. Make no mistake, the Chiefs have the leverage to get a draft pick for Smith due to savings they can get in other players. The Chiefs can force Derrick Johnson to take a pay cut(or cut him for $8 million savings), and cut Tamba Hali($8 million savings), plus they have other deals to restructure if needed.
    I'm now convinced that Alex Smith will be our next QB.

9. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    which is why they're going to keep him. . . and develop sloter as their backup-- watch, doubters. . .
    Of course they are keeping Sloter. He's the only QB on their roster who is under contract for next year! They aren't keeping Sam Bradford at his age and contract, and with the team now committed to Case Keenum Teddy Bridgewater is gone. They probably want to pick up another backup QB as well so that they have 3 QBs under contract next year.

On The Drive Alfred Williams insists they will try and get a deal done quickly with Case Keenum so that they can franchise Teddy Bridgewater and then get something for him. They will want a first round pick for him, but it's unlikely they will get that. Perhaps a 2nd though is realistic. After all he has significant starter experience, and we saw that SF gave up a 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garappolo who has less experience.

I can't see Elway surrendering a 2nd round pick for a QB though, unless it's part of the compensation he pays Washington for Kirk Cousins, assuming they would trade him, which I doubt. But, if they can't work out a long-term deal, it's a possibility the Redskins would trade Cousins for Denver's #1 pick and a 1st rounder in 2019 or something. That way they would be guaranteed to be able to draft a QB out of the top 5 QBs taken.

The fans might even forgive them eventually if someone like Baker Mayfield became a good QB for them.

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    I'm now convinced that Alex Smith will be our next QB.
    And I'm convinced you got hit on the head by a large rock. I'm being charitable of course. You could just be clueless.

Alex Smith is under contract with the Chefs next year for $20m. There is NO WAY they will just let him walk to Denver. None whatever.

If they did that he might help Denver win the division, and how stupid would Andy Reid look if that happened?

Repeat after me: "They are not trading him within the division." They will try and trade him somewhere he won't be able to embarrass them - like the Patriots did by sending Garappolo to the NFC. Cleveland is reportedly the most probable landing spot for Smith because there's no chance he will do anything in Cleveland, the land where QBs go to die. Plus Cleveland has a boat-load of picks and unless Hue Jackson wants to be fired he's got to get a veteran QB capable of starting now, because Sam Darnold isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    And I'm convinced you got hit on the head by a large rock. I'm being charitable of course. You could just be clueless.
    There it is ladies and gentlemen. The most hypocritical thing anybody has ever said in the history of the known universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by King87 View Post
    All must hail NostraTimmy!
    Nostratimmy was right again. All hail nostratimmy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    I’m the hobbit.

13. The Following 2 Users High Fived Timmy! For This Post:

Nobody is going to pay Alex Smith's number next year. Teams know the Chiefs can't pay him with Mahomes ready to take over which will force them to cut him. So he won't cost a draft pick or $20 million.
    Of course nobody is going to pay Alex Smith $20m, but that doesn't mean the Chefs can't trade him. Somebody not in the division will offer something for him, and then they can work out a deal with Smith for about 2 years and $18m a year or something. He's taking a pay cut either way.

So, he WILL cost a draft pick. Teams will know that they Chefs will have to cut him, but if you're Cleveland say, will Alex Smith voluntarily go there and serve as the bridge QB until Sam Darnold is ready? No.

But, if you are traded, what choice does he have? Sit out the season? The Chefs own his rights and can trade him where they like. He's better off signing a deal with a team that wants him rather than engaging in a game of chicken with a team that doesn't.

Adopted Bronco:
    Demaryius Thomas

Alex Smith is much better than Griese/Orton/Siemian.
    Let's Rid3!!!!

16. The Following 2 Users High Fived chazoe60 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Taysom Hill

We won a Super Bowl with sub-Alex Smith level production from the QB. We'd arguably be a playoff team this year if we had a game manager at QB this year.

I understand how it's nothing to get excited about - but I think you're a little too down on him.

Of course nobody is going to pay Alex Smith $20m, but that doesn't mean the Chefs can't trade him. Somebody not in the division will offer something for him, and then they can work out a deal with Smith for about 2 years and $18m a year or something. He's taking a pay cut either way.

So, he WILL cost a draft pick. Teams will know that they Chefs will have to cut him, but if you're Cleveland say, will Alex Smith voluntarily go there and serve as the bridge QB until Sam Darnold is ready? No.

But, if you are traded, what choice does he have? Sit out the season? The Chefs own his rights and can trade him where they like. He's better off signing a deal with a team that wants him rather than engaging in a game of chicken with a team that doesn't.
    Here's the thing though - if a team is going to trade for him, they are going to have to eat his $20 million.

Unless it's the perfect suitor, where Smith wants to go, then he has no incentive to accept a reduced deal when he could likely go get more on the open market once he's cut loose. But you may be right - in the end he might be pragmatic and decide to take the reduced pay with a team who wants him as opposed to waiting to be cut in training camp... But I also have a hard time seeing Andy Reid doing him dirty like that.

I would still bet on him being cut over being traded today.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Alex Smith is under contract with the Chefs next year for $20m. There is NO WAY they will just let him walk to Denver. None whatever.

If they did that he might help Denver win the division, and how stupid would Andy Reid look if that happened?

Repeat after me: "They are not trading him within the division." They will try and trade him somewhere he won't be able to embarrass them - like the Patriots did by sending Garappolo to the NFC. Cleveland is reportedly the most probable landing spot for Smith because there's no chance he will do anything in Cleveland, the land where QBs go to die. Plus Cleveland has a boat-load of picks and unless Hue Jackson wants to be fired he's got to get a veteran QB capable of starting now, because Sam Darnold isn't.
    Cugel saying something basically means the opposite is true.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

19. The Following 2 Users High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

On The Drive Alfred Williams insists they will try and get a deal done quickly with Case Keenum so that they can franchise Teddy Bridgewater and then get something for him. They will want a first round pick for him, but it's unlikely they will get that. Perhaps a 2nd though is realistic. After all he has significant starter experience, and we saw that SF gave up a 2nd round pick for Jimmy Garappolo who has less experience.
    dude, you really need to stop believing the nonsense that big al spews. . . bridgewater never looked all that great even before he was hurt-- garoppolo was far more promising, albeit in very limited action. . . ain't nobody paying teddy the franchise number for QBs, let alone giving up significant draft pick compensation for the right to do so. . . that's madness. . . if they were actually dumb enough to tag him they would be stuck with him. . . al was also rambling on yesterday about how fantastic AJ mccarron is, and how elway needs to sign him to a massive deal. . . lol. . .

21. The Following 4 Users High Fived dogfish For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I think the bottom line is, if these guys were any good, they wouldn’t be:
    a) free agents
    or
    b) on the trade block

The only exception is Cousins because of how they bungled him. I’m very skeptical of Keenum right now. It’s not like he’s a rookie or a young guy. He’s the same age as Cousins, has been in the league 6 years and has one good season under his belt. 1 year out of a possible 6. It’s not like he’s sat behind legends, either. He was a Texan and a Ram. So awesome on Houston they threw big money at Osweiler then had to draft Watson. So good in St Louis they drafted Goff.

He’s had one decent year on a team that runs the ball more than any other team (30+ times a game, no matter if it’s working or not). He also has 2 stud WRs and a stud TE.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

23. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information