Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Default The 2018 QB Conundrum

I thought I'd make one thread for all of the QB talk. Mods feel free to merge this into another one if you want to.

Right now the Broncos have 3 QB's under contract for the 2018 season. Brock is an UFA. That leaves Lynch, Siemian, and Kelly.

Lynch is uncuttable. He carries a 4.46 million dollar cap hit if he's cut this year. Elway has never strapped this team with a lot of dead cap money. I doubt he even has the ability to, considering the team's finances are run out of a trust fund. Lynch also has no trade value. Siemian carries just a 13k salary cap hit if he's cut. That's certainly an option. Kelly carries a 48k cap hit if he's cut. That's an option as well.

We know that Elway is bringing in a free agent QB. Word is that he wants Cousins. Here are the other free agent QB's on the market:

Drew Brees- Doubt he's leaving N.O. He's too tied into the community and the team is winning again.
    Sam Bradford- Injury prone, and 30 years old. He's spent more time in training rooms than on the field in his career.
    Jay Cutler- Mmmmmm, yeah
    Josh McCown- 38 year old grasping at his last straw
    Drew Stanton- 33 year old career backup
    Kase Keenum- He's an intriguing possibility after the season he had in Minnesota. 29 years old.
    Teddy Bridgewater- He's only 26, and showed signs of being a franchise QB before his injury. I'd love to see Elway take a run at him.
    Alex Smith and Eli Manning may both end up on the street, but as of now they're both under contract with their respective teams for the 2018 season.

Out of the possibilities, and assuming Brees stays in New Orleans, I think the Broncos look at taking a QB with the 5th pick of the draft unless they sign Cousins. This is another argument for signing Cousins in my book. You have a known commodity for the next 5 years, he's just now entering his prime, and you can add one heck of a football player with the 5th pick.

2. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

I’d like to see Cousins, Kelly, Lynch and a rookie. Let the three younger guys battle for the backup spot, and cut Lynch if he can’t outplay Kelly or the rookie. If he’s not good enough to be a backup then he shouldn’t be wasting a roster spot, cap hit or not; pick up a college FA WR for special teams with that roster spot

I would think it's most likely Cousins or taking a QB in the first round.

I think there is an outside chance they think Lynch is ready and could go for an Alex Smith, Bridgewater, etc. vet as a backup, but the problem being with the QB market being what it is, these guys will still probably get $15-20 a year, so it's not like they are cheap options.

While I wouldn't completely discount Eli if he's on the market, that's unlikely to pay the same dividends that signing his brother did. Also, my money is on NY drafting a QB and letting him sit behind Eli for one or two years.

So, if I was laying odds right now, I say they take a run at Cousins, and if that doesn't work out, they sign a lower tier FA QB and draft a QB in the first round.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Plan A is all-in on Cousins, plan B is rookie + stopgap.

Brilliant insight I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sting
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

6. The Following User High Fived Hawgdriver For This Post:

Cousins.

If not Cousins then Bridgewater.

If Option C...

Bradford and a rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    Plan A is all-in on Cousins, plan B is rookie + stopgap.

Brilliant insight I know.
    How do you feel about smoked gouda?

9. The Following User High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    How do you feel about smoked gouda?
    With your fingers.
    "You know cos I just lost my parents--both my parents died in the same year...to this day, people come up to me and say 'my dad died and that album really meant a lot to me,' which is very nourishing {pats heart} for a songwriter to hear that your songs have a utility beyond just their own solace, that it actually helps other people."

Quote Originally Posted by Hawgdriver View Post
    With your fingers.
    Well played sir.
    Personally, I love Gouda.

Adopted Bronco:
    Javonte Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Well played sir.
    Personally, I love Gouda.
    So good.

The situation sucks. I don't like any of QBs coming out all that much and I don't think Cousins is good enough to warrant being the highest paid player in football either.

Cousins is decent but he isn't some worldie. ~30 mil seems like way to much to be paying that guy.

John whiffing on Oz and Lynch hurts the team badly.

Quote Originally Posted by Slick View Post
    The situation sucks. I don't like any of QBs coming out all that much and I don't think Cousins is good enough to warrant being the highest paid player in football either.

Cousins is decent but he isn't some worldie. ~30 mil seems like way to much to be paying that guy.

I think John whiffing on quarterbacks is greatly overstated.

IMO, his only whiff is Lynch. Siemian is a good pick for where he was drafted. Oz was drafted in the second round, which is a great spot for a viable backup.
    He’s also responsible for landing the greatest FA quarterback.

IMO the Lynch pick looks bad at this point, but overall I think his track record with quarterbacks is good

15. The Following 2 Users High Fived Al Wilson 4 Mayor For This Post:

He doesn't really have much of a track record to be considered good. Signing Peyton Manning was a no brainer. Lynch, Siemian and Oz all suck and he even tried to give Oz a pretty big contract before Houston came along.

Imagine Houston never happened. Denver would be paying quite a bit of money to that stiff right now.

The one thing that might save the Broncos this year is that they are coaching the senior bowl. They are going to have a full week with Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, and probably another prospect. They will know exactly what kind of work ethic they have, an idea of their football IQ, how well they blend into a new environment, and how quickly they can pick up a new system. Not near as much guess work as what usually goes into drafting a QB. It's a near lock that Darnold and Rosen go 1,2.

That leaves the Broncos looking at Mayfield, Jackson, and Allen as possible picks at 5. They should be coaching 2 of the 3. They will also get a great look at Mason Rudolph during the week, a guy I'm very high on after the first.

18. The Following 2 Users High Fived Ziggy For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

I posted in the draft forum about this but it was long winded. In summary:

-No “old guys” at the end of their career. No Eli, Brees, etc. not worth wasting time we could be developing someone for the future.
    -No journeymen. No Alex Smith (dude is still John Fox at QB) no broken assed Sam Bradford.
    -I’m suspicious of Keenum and Bridgewater. I don’t trust either to be a long term answer so I don’t want them. Each has had roughly 1 decent season.

That pretty much leaves Cousins or a trade for Luck if we want a vet. If not, we draft a guy in the first (at 5 or move up if we have to) and start his ass from day 1. I’m fine if we’re not very good next year while our future develops. No more Packin Lunch bullshit where a scrub (****face) gets lots of playing time and our first round rookie sits because we need to try to “win now”. I’m okay being down again next year while we rebuild/reload whatever.

I will be disappointed if we screw this up. We need a QB more than any other position and have the #5 overall pick. If we sign Alex Smith or Eli or Bridgewater and draft a guard at #5 I will be furious.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

20. The Following User High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

He doesn't really have much of a track record to be considered good. Signing Peyton Manning was a no brainer. Lynch, Siemian and Oz all suck and he even tried to give Oz a pretty big contract before Houston came along.

Imagine Houston never happened. Denver would be paying quite a bit of money to that stiff right now.
    As I said before, a viable backup is worth a second round pick. I agree giving him a giant contract would have been disastrous, although I’m persuaded he would have played better in his second year under Kubes than Siemian did, and we probably would have made the playoffs.
    Signing Manning was a no brainer but it wasn’t as if Manning showed up his front door begging for a job. Elway provided a better pitch than numerous teams vying for his services, which Elway should get credit for

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information