Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

Adopted Bronco:

I'm predicting a Chase Daniel/Baker Mayfield duo. The new era of the 6 foot QB.

Adopted Bronco:
    Kendall Hinton!

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    Cugel saying something basically means the opposite is true.
    Right? I mean it is totally out of the realm of possibility that Andy Reid would trade a QB to a division rival, right?

Oh, wait. He actually HAS done that before.

3. The Following User High Fived BroncoJoe For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post
    Right? I mean it is totally out of the realm of possibility that Andy Reid would trade a QB to a division rival, right?

True...then again, McNabb really was a handful. He more than likely knew he and Shanahan would NOT mix. I am guessing that. Also, when Belichick traded the overrated Bledsoe to the Bills.

Alex Smith just completed his best statistical season. I doubt there has ever been a case where a team traded the current number 1 rated QB in the NFL to a team in their own division.

He would trade him here, however the price would be too steep. I do think he would be the best one for this franchise. He is more proven and cheaper than what Cousins is going to demand. Plus, at his age the Broncos could take a look at Kelly for an entire season with Smith being a mentor.

I don't think it is going to happen. Hate to say this, but I personally dont see any scenario that appeals to me. None, unless they could pull a miracle trade with Reid.

Someone in the NFC will bite on Smith. KC can’t keep him on the roster

I have a suspicion we'll be going with a combination of a mid tier stop gap QB at a team friendly price and Baker Mayfield. Nicki Jhabvala is indicating that we specifically requested to coach Baker Mayfield at the Senior Bowl and shortly after, Baker signed with a Boulder based sports agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    I have a suspicion we'll be going with a combination of a mid tier stop gap QB at a team friendly price and Baker Mayfield. Nicki Jhabvala is indicating that we specifically requested to coach Baker Mayfield at the Senior Bowl and shortly after, Baker signed with a Boulder based sports agency.

I just watched some of him and that would piss me off greatly. Even more so then when we drafted Paxton Lynch. Ill take mayfield in the 2nd/3rd range. If we take him at 5 I really will be punting kittens. Ill go to dove valley and punt them at Elway!
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

8. The Following 2 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Freyaka View Post
    The problem I have seen with the Big XII QBs, other than they don't play real defenses, is none of them play in offenses that prepare them for the NFL.

What baffles me is Elway just drafted a player that played in an offense like that at Memphis. Everyone knew he was a "project" and that more than anything else is what bothered me.

Mayfield clearly played in an offense that is NOT preparing their QBs for the next level. Hardly no snaps from under center, and when Mayfield did take snaps in a more pro style set, he was inconsistent.

Then again, Allen is not the answer either. So, where are we? Nowhere. Thats where.

Adopted Bronco:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    The problem I have seen with the Big XII QBs, other than they don't play real defenses, is none of them play in offenses that prepare them for the NFL.

What baffles me is Elway just drafted a player that played in an offense like that at Memphis. Everyone knew he was a "project" and that more than anything else is what bothered me.

Mayfield clearly played in an offense that is NOT preparing their QBs for the next level. Hardly no snaps from under center, and when Mayfield did take snaps in a more pro style set, he was inconsistent.

Then again, Allen is not the answer either. So, where are we? Nowhere. Thats where.
    Ohio State, Georgia and TCU twice. Mayfield played 4 games against top 20 NCAA defenses this year. 70% completion, 12 TD, 1 INT.

I'm not officially advocating for Mayfield, but I think his overall field of work is certainly worthy of discussion. Despite playing in the Big 12, he has faced good defenses and let's be honest. If he was 6'4", there would be no doubt about his value. Despite the success of guys like Brees and Wilson...or Denver's interest in 6'1" Taylor. Hell...even Aaron Rodgers is only 6'2".

As far as the system he comes from, I think we are quick to forget that MOST college systems are NFL unfriendly. it all comes down to the player's ability to learn and adapt. Did anyone guarantee that Wentz would come from a unique system at a small school and succeed? It's about the player...and the staff will get to know him very well over the next few weeks.

11. The Following 7 Users High Fived CoachChaz For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BroncoJoe View Post

Yes. He has done that before. If Alex Smith is considered by him to be pretty much washed up he could do it again. The question is: "Is Alex Smith washed up? Would trading him to Denver immediately make the Broncos co-favorites to win the AFC West? Or not?"

But, then why would the Broncos want him if he's washed up? And if he's not, why would Andy Reid trade him? Does that sound like a good idea if you're the Chefs?

They could probably trade him to Cleveland where he could do them no harm. Why, outside of the fact that you are a Broncos fan and want to see Alex Smith in a Denver uniform, would such a deal make any sense?

Try using logic for a change. Either he's washed up or he isn't. If not, then the last place they should trade him is Denver. If so, then Elway won't want him.

13. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CoachChaz View Post
    Ohio State, Georgia and TCU twice. Mayfield played 4 games against top 20 NCAA defenses this year. 70% completion, 12 TD, 1 INT.

I'm not officially advocating for Mayfield, but I think his overall field of work is certainly worthy of discussion. Despite playing in the Big 12, he has faced good defenses and let's be honest. If he was 6'4", there would be no doubt about his value. Despite the success of guys like Brees and Wilson...or Denver's interest in 6'1" Taylor. Hell...even Aaron Rodgers is only 6'2".

As far as the system he comes from, I think we are quick to forget that MOST college systems are NFL unfriendly. it all comes down to the player's ability to learn and adapt. Did anyone guarantee that Wentz would come from a unique system at a small school and succeed? It's about the player...and the staff will get to know him very well over the next few weeks.
    That, almost certainly is why Elway is going down with his staff to the Senior Bowl and coaching and looking at Mayfield. He wants to see for himself what the kid looks like in an NFL style practice before they would consider drafting him.

15. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

True...then again, McNabb really was a handful. He more than likely knew he and Shanahan would NOT mix. I am guessing that. Also, when Belichick traded the overrated Bledsoe to the Bills.

Alex Smith just completed his best statistical season. I doubt there has ever been a case where a team traded the current number 1 rated QB in the NFL to a team in their own division.

He would trade him here, however the price would be too steep. I do think he would be the best one for this franchise. He is more proven and cheaper than what Cousins is going to demand. Plus, at his age the Broncos could take a look at Kelly for an entire season with Smith being a mentor.

I don't think it is going to happen. Hate to say this, but I personally dont see any scenario that appeals to me. None, unless they could pull a miracle trade with Reid.
    Basically this is logical. Would Elway want to give up a 2nd round pick or 3rd rounder for a bridge QB?

I think every sensible fan can agree that Alex Smith is NOT the long-term answer for the Broncos the way Kirk Cousins would (potentially) be. So, Elway would have to draft a QB, probably with the #5 pick.

So, now in this scenario the Broncos use their #1 pick on Baker Mayfield, or Josh Allen say. Then they have a 2nd or 3rd rounder going to the Chefs for another QB.

That's most of their draft, and they still have holes all over this team, at TE, T, G, WR, DT, ILB, etc. that won't get filled because they have only 1 pick in the first 3 rounds to do that with.

I'm not saying it's completely out of the question Elway could do it, but it doesn't seem very likely. It's not likely Andy Reid would give the Broncos a chance to make them regret trading Alex Smith though. It's not like the Broncos are the only QB hungry team in the league they could trade to.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

True enough. Manziel, did great against Alabama and Tebow did great against the SEC etc. Does not really mean much. Those offenses (no huddle spread read option) puts significant pressure on defenses. Especially when a defense faces it for the first time. GA for example was a bit overwhelmed by the quick pace and lets face it, Okla gets top athletes.

However, in that game as GA adjusted to it, that offense started looking less effective.

I doubt the Broncos would be installing an offense that fits what Mayfield thrived in. I dont even know, I am assuming Musgrave is still the coordinator. Do you think Mayfield will fit into that system?

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    That, almost certainly is why Elway is going down with his staff to the Senior Bowl and coaching and looking at Mayfield. He wants to see for himself what the kid looks like in an NFL style practice before they would consider drafting him.

They want to get a good long look no doubt. I have this feeling that we are going to use this QB thing as great bait to get someone to trade up.....I just think he wants Barkley or Arden Key or someone. I do not think we draft a QB in with our first pick.
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

Adopted Bronco:

True enough. Manziel, did great against Alabama and Tebow did great against the SEC etc. Does not really mean much. Those offenses (no huddle spread read option) puts significant pressure on defenses. Especially when a defense faces it for the first time. GA for example was a bit overwhelmed by the quick pace and lets face it, Okla gets top athletes.

However, in that game as GA adjusted to it, that offense started looking less effective.

I doubt the Broncos would be installing an offense that fits what Mayfield thrived in. I dont even know, I am assuming Musgrave is still the coordinator. Do you think Mayfield will fit into that system?
    Manziel caught Bama off guard...once. Tebow tore up the SEC before it was what it is today. Lincoln Riley play-calling killed OU vs. UGA.

The "vibe" I get from Mayfield is he is a competitor. Any player that does what it takes to win, is capable of fitting themselves into a system designed for what is best for the team. I'd feel much better about Mayfield making the transition to the NFL than I ever did with Lynch.

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Manziel caught Bama off guard...once. Tebow tore up the SEC before it was what it is today. Lincoln Riley play-calling killed OU vs. UGA.

The "vibe" I get from Mayfield is he is a competitor. Any player that does what it takes to win, is capable of fitting themselves into a system designed for what is best for the team. I'd feel much better about Mayfield making the transition to the NFL than I ever did with Lynch.
    coach, what do you think of mayfield's arm talent?

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information