Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 QB Conundrum

The Packers defense fell off for two seasons because of massive amounts of injuries to the secondary and linebackers. When they moved Mathews to ILB it was because they went through their first two ILB's at that spot. At one point they were down to the nickel corner as their number one player, and that's not counting their two stud DL who got hurt and suspended. The Packers aren't much of an example for what you're talking about.

If the Broncos don't get a QB they were be relegated to irrelevance for quite some time. That might be worth it to take the time to develop someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Pat Bowlen

Quote Originally Posted by Von Kinger View Post
    The Packers defense fell off for two seasons because of massive amounts of injuries to the secondary and linebackers. When they moved Mathews to ILB it was because they went through their first two ILB's at that spot. At one point they were down to the nickel corner as their number one player, and that's not counting their two stud DL who got hurt and suspended. The Packers aren't much of an example for what you're talking about.

If the Broncos don't get a QB they were be relegated to irrelevance for quite some time. That might be worth it to take the time to develop someone.
    And Charles Woodson retired. I feel like after watching that last season, DeMarcus Ware was the glue.
    *The statements above are my opinions, unless they are links, because then they are links, which wouldn't make them my opinions, and I suppose stats aren't necessarily opinion, but they are certainly presented to support an opinion. Proceed accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Buff View Post
    What is this, amateur hour? It's TNF against the Jets and you didn't think you'd need extra booze?

3. The Following User High Fived MOtorboat For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MOtorboat View Post
    And Charles Woodson retired. I feel like after watching that last season, DeMarcus Ware was the glue.
    Ward hurt the most, IMO. We cut him to save five million dollars and spent it poorly.
    Y’all know I’m an OL Groupie but I think Jeudy is going to be worth missing out on a T, knock on wood.

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Ward hurt the most, IMO. We cut him to save five million dollars and spent it poorly.
    Ward did not have that great an impact imo. He really did not have all that great a season at all in Tampa. The problem was this defense did not generate the same level of pressure as under Philips. Yes, I would say Demarcus Ware was very key in that role under Philips.

Of course, when I see the Rams under Philips go from the bottom of the league in sacks to top 5 in the league in sacks (and turnovers) and the Broncos defense do the EXACT OPPOSITE, I see where the problem is.

Remember the Broncos fired the OLB coach for related reasons. The fact is this staff failed to generate a pass rush and this team had talent on it. They did not use Von Miller creatively. He rushed from the same basic positions. I remember under Philips Miller would rush from several areas.

Anyway, I see the problem in the coaching staff.

Right now, I think the next hot coach could be Frank Reich. Many people are going to be talking his name for next years search.
    Last edited by Broncoknight30; 02-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.

6. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Broncoknight30 View Post
    Ward did not have that great an impact imo. He really did not have all that great a season at all in Tampa. The problem was this defense did not generate the same level of pressure as under Philips. Yes, I would say Demarcus Ware was very key in that role under Philips.

Of course, when I see the Rams under Philips go from the bottom of the league in sacks to top 5 in the league in sacks (and turnovers) and the Broncos defense do the EXACT OPPOSITE, I see where the problem is.

Remember the Broncos fired the OLB coach for related reasons. The fact is this staff failed to generate a pass rush and this team had talent on it. They did not use Von Miller creatively. He rushed from the same basic positions. I remember under Philips Miller would rush from several areas.

Anyway, I see the problem in the coaching staff.

Right now, I think the next hot coach could be Frank Reich. Many people are going to be talking his name for next years search.
    Well the secondary couldn't produce turnovers, we lacked leadership, the defense regressed, and the locker room got divided.

The Rams have a lot of horses on defense, too, BK. But I didn't want to see WP go - I love that guy.

8. The Following User High Fived Poet For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Justin Simmons

Well the secondary couldn't produce turnovers, we lacked leadership, the defense regressed, and the locker room got divided.

The Rams have a lot of horses on defense, too, BK. But I didn't want to see WP go - I love that guy.
    Losing Phillips was idiotic. We let a known commodity go for a few bucks because we were concerned about losing Woods. My Philosophy when building a staff has always been that I would prefer the Phillips type coordinator over the young hot shot. Because he's going to stay put. He would have loved to retire a Bronco. You've only got two options with Woods. Either he stinks it up, or e ends up being really good and we lose him after a year or two the same way we did with Alan the same way we did with McCoy the same way we did with Del Rio. It doesn't seem to be rocket science to me. Wade Phillips won the Broncos a Superbowl. The big issue last year or should I say 2016 was run defense. They fix that with a semi healthy wolf Peko, and gotsis gaining a little seasoning. The problem with young guys in any management position as they always want to change stuff that doesn't need changed. The old if it ain't broke don't fix it adage comes into play. As soon as I heard Woods talking about all the little tweaks that he was going to make to the team I knew that he wanted to put his stamp on something that didn't necessarily need a whole lot of tweaking.

10. The Following 10 Users High Fived Jsteve01 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Baron Browning, Jaleel McLaughlin

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Losing Phillips was idiotic. We let a known commodity go for a few bucks because we were concerned about losing Woods. My Philosophy when building a staff has always been that I would prefer the Phillips type coordinator over the young hot shot. Because he's going to stay put. He would have loved to retire a Bronco. You've only got two options with Woods. Either he stinks it up, or e ends up being really good and we lose him after a year or two the same way we did with Alan the same way we did with McCoy the same way we did with Del Rio. It doesn't seem to be rocket science to me. Wade Phillips won the Broncos a Superbowl. The big issue last year or should I say 2016 was run defense. They fix that with a semi healthy wolf Peko, and gotsis gaining a little seasoning. The problem with young guys in any management position as they always want to change stuff that doesn't need changed. The old if it ain't broke don't fix it adage comes into play. As soon as I heard Woods talking about all the little tweaks that he was going to make to the team I knew that he wanted to put his stamp on something that didn't necessarily need a whole lot of tweaking.
    preach!

Quote Originally Posted by Jsteve01 View Post
    Apparently Wade wanted to be the highest or close to the highest DC in football and they didn't want to pay him top $. Joe Woods was the up and coming guy. Perhaps Elway would consider him as a possible replacement for VJ if VJ flamed out?

I don't know what screwy machinations were going on in John Elway's head, but they don't seem to have panned out. Rather like his QB draft selections!

It's always a good practice to promote from within your organization, if you can do it successfully. But, when you have a veteran coach who wants to stay and he's doing the job, don't get rid of him and expect exactly the same results with some inexperienced first year DC.

Of course they also lost Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and TJ Ward off that SB 50 starting lineup as well as DeMarcus Ware. Of course the defense isn't the same as it was. That's 4 (5 with Talib) starters out of 11 different!

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Cugel View Post
    Apparently Wade wanted to be the highest or close to the highest DC in football and they didn't want to pay him top $. Joe Woods was the up and coming guy. Perhaps Elway would consider him as a possible replacement for VJ if VJ flamed out?

I don't know what screwy machinations were going on in John Elway's head, but they don't seem to have panned out. Rather like his QB draft selections!

It's always a good practice to promote from within your organization, if you can do it successfully. But, when you have a veteran coach who wants to stay and he's doing the job, don't get rid of him and expect exactly the same results with some inexperienced first year DC.

Of course they also lost Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan and TJ Ward off that SB 50 starting lineup as well as DeMarcus Ware. Of course the defense isn't the same as it was. That's 4 (5 with Talib) starters out of 11 different!
    The simple fact is Wade Phiips EARNED that here. If there was a coordinator that deserved to be the highest paid coordinator (offense or defense) it was Philips.

The other part about that is rather big imo was he was not aspiring to be a head coach. He is done with that. He may have had 4 or 5 years left here.

No excuse for letting him go. None.

14. The Following 4 Users High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Quinn Meinerz

The simple fact is Wade Phiips EARNED that here. If there was a coordinator that deserved to be the highest paid coordinator (offense or defense) it was Philips.

The other part about that is rather big imo was he was not aspiring to be a head coach. He is done with that. He may have had 4 or 5 years left here.

No excuse for letting him go. None.
    Yeah, but how did Wade Phillips run practice?

16. The Following User High Fived UnderArmour For This Post:

Wade is an old man who wanted to be close to his son. I don’t think he was forced out

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
    Wade is an old man who wanted to be close to his son. I don’t think he was forced out
    He said in interviews he wanted to stay, but Elway did not renew his contract. He wanted to be either the highest paid or close to the highest paid DC and he got that contract with the Rams.

Bottom line: Coaches salaries don't count against the salary cap, so the only reason to scrimp and save on coaching salaries is cheapness. Joe Ellis and John Elway did not value Wade or thought keeping Joe Woods was a higher priority for some reason.

It makes ZERO sense though. If Joe Woods turns out to be a dynamic DC at some point, he will want and get a head coaching job in the NFL. So, what was the point in keeping him for a couple of seasons when you could have had Wade for the same time and he would never take a head coaching job? It makes no sense at all!

Of course, if the defense continues to decline, Woods won't get that job, but then why would they want him here?

19. The Following User High Fived Cugel For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    Rubin Carter

Well, now that the AJ McCaron discussion should be heating up, I would certainly prefer him over Kirk Cousins large ass salary. I have been on Bengals boards, and I have a couple of friends who are big Bengals fans. Not that should mean anything at all, but I would say as much as 90% of them think McCaron is better than Dalton. Or, at the very least wish McCaron would be the starter over Dalton. To me that is somewhat telling. In his few starts he has had, he has shown promise. That is true.

I would take McCaron and his relatively lesser salary than what Cousins IS GOING TO GET. I know this discussion is an old one, but based on what we read yesterday, it should be heating up again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ed-free-agent/

21. The Following User High Fived Broncoknight30 For This Post:

Adopted Bronco:
    PS2

Well, now that the AJ McCaron discussion should be heating up, I would certainly prefer him over Kirk Cousins large ass salary. I have been on Bengals boards, and I have a couple of friends who are big Bengals fans. Not that should mean anything at all, but I would say as much as 90% of them think McCaron is better than Dalton. Or, at the very least wish McCaron would be the starter over Dalton. To me that is somewhat telling. In his few starts he has had, he has shown promise. That is true.

I would take McCaron and his relatively lesser salary than what Cousins IS GOING TO GET. I know this discussion is an old one, but based on what we read yesterday, it should be heating up again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ed-free-agent/
    I don’t think McCarron is better than Dalton. I think it’s a Siemian/Lynch scenario in that the starter isn’t good so the backup must be better, which we all know is false, they both suck. McCarron has never beat Dalton for the start, ever. Don’t give me the “franchise QB” line either because if McCarron was better he’d start. He was a serviceable backup for a few games where they’d already clinched the playoffs and had a very good squad behind him when Dalton got hurt.

Seriously, WTF has McCarron done to warrant a big contract? The guy has started 3 games. The problem is, he’s going to get big money because QBs are at a premium. Like dog said, Mike Glennon type money. That’s a bigger risk than dropping the #5 overall pick on a rookie. No to another journeyman backup! Cousins or the draft. That is all.
    Last edited by HORSEPOWER 56; 02-15-2018 at 08:35 AM.

“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.” -Winston Churchill

23. The Following 2 Users High Fived HORSEPOWER 56 For This Post:

Aj sucks. Way overrated. Do not want
    The Plan at the moment:

Draft: Trade a 3rd and 6th this year to a team to move up and get a 2nd next year (this will happen).

Players I want:
    Jake Ferguson (Jake Butt) or Jelani Woods or Jeremy Ruckert or Cade Otten (owen daniels) at TE- All 4th rd or later.
    Troy Anderson LB 3rd/4th rd (yay Timmy!)
    Neil Farrell, JR DL- run stuffer- bye purcell

25. The Following 3 Users High Fived underrated29 For This Post:

Go
Shop AFC Champions and Super Bowl gear at the official online Pro Shop of the Denver Broncos!

Thread Information